Favorite Drum Corps Personality

West Coast-wise: I looked up to Gail Royer a lot.  I learned from others but I most wanted to "know as much music" as he. 

Today, I could honestly and respectfully say the same thing about Mr. Ken Norman.

RON HOUSLEY

"Fave DC Personality":

My vote would go to the one and only Ed Rooney. Mr Rooney was a fixture on the Boston drum corps scene throughout the 1950s and 1960s. He was General Manager of the St Kevin Emerald Knights and was responsible for bringing them to prominance on what was then considered the "National Scene".

He was also a writer for Drum Corps World and Drum Corps News. His colums were the first ones you would turn to in order to get the "scoop" on the latest goings on in the activity.

He is greatly missed.

Elphaba

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Fave DC Personality":

My vote would go to the one and only Ed Rooney.  Mr Rooney was a fixture on the Boston drum corps scene throughout the 1950s and 1960s.  He was General Manager of the St Kevin Emerald Knights and was responsible for bringing them to prominance on what was then considered the "National Scene".

He was also a writer for Drum Corps World and Drum Corps News.  His colums were the first ones you would turn to in order to get the "scoop" on the latest goings on in the activity.

He is greatly missed.

Elphaba

Wasn't he the one always chasing after Ferris Bueller?

Never mind that the corps director had forbidden any parties. This party was going to be off-premise at my place. Never mind that I was only 20 and not able to actually buy the keg myself - that's what 21+ roommates were for! devil.gif

LOL! Reminds me of our days in BD in the 80's. Every night was party night at the "import house". Sometimes staff showed up, other times not.

One thing was for sure, after each rehearsal, the entire corps pretty much moved from Mars to some nearby apartment for a party and swim.

Fun times!

Edited by bd5times

Kenny Norman, #### yes!!!!! I used to sit and listen to that man for hours in the place in Newport Beach, on the Balboa Pennisula, in 77. I used to watch in awe as he would do full arangements with just his mouth piece.

But most of all, it was an honor meeting George Zingali.

Hey Mike, remember when Ken wrote out a Kiltie arrangement on a napkin at Dennys?

Dave Devlin

Kingsmen snare 1977 1978

PARTY AT SARA'S!!!!!!!!    SOMEBODY BREAK A BIG KEG!!!!

b**bs  b**bs  :ph34r:  :)  :ph34r:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :devin:  ^OO^

That's right!!

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Carmen Cluna, Hy Dreitzer, Tommy Martin and Ruben Ariola. Now there a BRAT PACK FOR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carmen Cluna, Hy Dreitzer, Tommy Martin and Ruben Ariola.  Now there a BRAT PACK FOR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Brat Pack";

You left out "Lefty" Mayer, Bob "The Kid" BellaRosa and Walter Winkleman.

Elphaba

Hey Mike, remember when Ken wrote out a Kiltie arrangement on a napkin at Dennys?

Dave Devlin

Kingsmen snare 1977 1978

That's why I offered to bare his child...yes, I remember that.