Massachusetts Drum Corps Question

20th Maine Regiment had another Suncoast instructor, Kevin McAllister write their drill. He was one of my assistants at Suncoast. They actually were trying to get me to write their drill but I had already retired from corps and moved back to Cali.

Yes... i Remember Kevin. He was a dam fine instructor. Lots of memories flooding back recently.... sometimes the past is what we look for in the future.

Dave

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20th Maine Regiment had another Suncoast instructor, Kevin McAllister write their drill. He was one of my assistants at Suncoast. They actually were trying to get me to write their drill but I had already retired from corps and moved back to Cali.

Whatever happened to Suncoast ?? I thought they were a great corps......

Dave

Just checked....summer of 1982 had two Open Class DCE/DCI shows in Maine. Late June was at Dr. Hill Stadium at Thornton Academy in Saco. Early August was an evening show at Bowdoin College in Brunswick. The first show included Bridgemen, Crossmen, Garfield Cadets, and Northstar. The second show included Boston, Blue Devils, and Garfield, among others. (I remember this clearly because I went up to Bowdoin early to watch Garfield rehearse....they were working on Rocky Point Holiday). Boston had just gotten back from Europe and their show still wasn't done. Maybe these guys were all on their way up to Montreal....

I really thought that 27 was in the first show, but I could be mistaken.

I think that was it for major Maine drum corps shows until 1986, when 20th Maine hosted two shows the same day in Fairfield, Maine....an EMASS show during the day and a DCE show at night, which DID include Lancers.

yes we did compete in that show. It was the first of the year. I only remember this because we broke down on rt 1 in saugus on the way.

yes we did compete in that show. It was the first of the year. I only remember this because we broke down on rt 1 in saugus on the way.

That wouuld be the June 14th show.... where i was introoduced to the 20th Maine. We had just moved from Georgia, where i had hoped to march with Spirit. I didn't make the cut, but 20th had an opening in the baritone line... which by the way I had NEVER played before, having played tuba for 4 years at that time. I essentially joined the corps at that show. First rehearsel was the following tuesday, where I was informed I had 2 weeks to learn 4 songs on a new instrument AND the entire drill. Well, needless to say it wasn't easy, but I did it and man.... STILL one of the hardest things I've ever done.

And on a side note to Craig... I have to confess I NEVER learned how to read the sheet music that year..... I did it all by ear and watching others. :) :P B)

Just had another Whalers flashback. I remember hearing or reading that the Whalers didn't use a rifle or saber to guard the American Flag section. Supposedly they had a guy with a harpoon in the AF section.

Have no idea if this is true or not. If true I would love to see the picture.

"Thar She Blows":

YES!!! The Whalers most certainly DID have a "Captain Ahab" complete with a harpoon. I have an old Drum Corps News with that very picture (Taken by Moe Knox) on page one.

A few of the old "Boston" drum corps from pre DCI days included:

St Kevins Emerald Knights, Gems & Chips

St Marys Cardinals

St Marys Majestic Knights

Immaculate Conception Reveries

Cambridge Caballeros

Braintree Warriors

St Thomas Moore Cadets

Boston Crusaders (Hyde Park & Most Precious Blood)

Holy Trinity Cadets

Norwood Debonaires

St Rose Scarlet Lancers

St Francis Sancians

There are many many more (The old Boston Arch Diocese used to run a CYO Championship for marching units that lasted for three days) but these units come to mind.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

• 4 months later...

People forgot to Mention 21st lancers from Norwood, they ended 1977. 3 members went to Boston and a lot of them went to spectra. I was one that went to boston for my last 2 years 78 and 79 age out year. The 21st Lancers started out in 1971 as a feeder corp for 27th. Orignal name was 27th lancers jrs. lasted one yr before changing our name to 21st. Before that there was Norwood Continentals and there feeder corp the Cavaliers. Both ended in 1970 and the lancer jr corps started. 21st won mayflower class b and a championships. b and a emass and b and a greater new england.

"Ace" Ronnie Washburn 4'9" snare 75

Do you mean this snare on the right end of this picture :blink:

1975SnareLine.jpg

PS Check out Joe Marella's platform shoes and leisure suit b**bs

Oh yeah, that would be me on the first tymp on the left

Do you mean this snare on the right end of this picture :blink:

1975SnareLine.jpg

PS Check out Joe Marella's platform shoes and leisure suit b**bs

Oh yeah, that would be me on the first tymp on the left

Yes, Great Picture. Thanks again? All of my pics are gone from my days with 27. After my parents passed on, my sisters took all the boxes of pictures in the house. Each time I ask one of them about the corp pictures they claim that one of the others has those. The pictures are nice to see. I have contacted Moe Knox and he has a few that he sent me photocopies of. I am going to purchase them.

Eddie

Yes, Great Picture. Thanks again? All of my pics are gone from my days with 27. After my parents passed on, my sisters took all the boxes of pictures in the house. Each time I ask one of them about the corp pictures they claim that one of the others has those. The pictures are nice to see. I have contacted Moe Knox and he has a few that he sent me photocopies of. I am going to purchase them.

Eddie

Vinnys drum must have just been polished. Its wrapped in a towel.