some old corps photos

Nah. No drugs or rock 'n roll - just sex. B)

(it's on the PBS video front and center, but the visual goes by quickly, so you've got to keep your eyes open during Sing Sing Sing)

Yes, they're describing their admiration for the mountains in Grand Teton National Park!

Starting in 1971, the corps had marching majors representing 3 of the 4 British Isles. That pic is from 1974, and Kenny "Giant" McKay was our pith helmet marching major. These folks were not drum majors, although they occasionaly may have directed a tune.

Wow, I didn't think that was Giant. I thought he was much taller and believed it was the other person that had a crew cut (athough there were more than a few) who was very light skinned. (maybe from Norwood-although I believe I was at Giants home in 72 with Darla and it may have been Norwood also). I know I had a crush on I believe his name was Bobby from Norwood who was a marching major - maybe 72 or 73?

Giant looked so beautiful in that uni the night of finals in 94!

I visited SCV's housing site in 1979 during finals week in Birmingham after one last show before prelims. I was hoping to hook up with a former 2-7 bari that was aging out with SCV.

There was Gail in the canteen truck preparing a huge spaghetti "snack" for the corps. He opened up a bottle of sherry and dumped it into the tomato sauce. Looking at me and smiling, while saying. "there - these kids ought to get a good night sleep tonight."

While re-reading and looking at a bunch of pics from earlier in this thread, I came across this gem.

I went as a rep for VK to the DCI management conference in November, 1980. After the first day's meetings, we were all in the "hospitality suite". Gail was bartending. Gail's idea of mixer is more comminly known as "ice". No wonder most of the directors/managers/staff from the corps were so blasted. Float and I played it safe, nursing a couple of beers and hanging out by the appetizers. There were some hang-dog faces at the early sessions the next day!

Garry in Vegas

Wow, I didn't think that was Giant. I thought he was much taller and believed it was the other person that had a crew cut (athough there were more than a few) who was very light skinned. (maybe from Norwood-although I believe I was at Giants home in 72 with Darla and it may have been Norwood also). I know I had a crush on I believe his name was Bobby from Norwood who was a marching major - maybe 72 or 73?

Giant looked so beautiful in that uni the night of finals in 94!

Nancy,

The original 3 majors from 1971 were Tim Higgins in the British red jacket, Frank Campisano in the Irish kilt and Bobby Cassidy (Mike's younger brother) in the scottish kilt. All three were Norwood guys. As I remember they didn't debut these guys until well into the season.

Nancy,

The original 3 majors from 1971 were Tim Higgins in the British red jacket, Frank Campisano in the Irish kilt and Bobby Cassidy (Mike's younger brother) in the scottish kilt. All three were Norwood guys. As I remember they didn't debut these guys until well into the season.

Wasn't the conductor DM named Duffy Silk or something close to that in 71?

Wasn't the conductor DM named Duffy Silk or something close to that in 71?

Will need LancerLegend to confirm, but I believe you are correct. His first name was NOT really Duffy, but very few people know his real first name, and he was officially called Duffy.

(His mother worked with me briefly while I was marching and finally revealed his birth name to me. I have never told a soul what it is).

Will need LancerLegend to confirm, but I believe you are correct. His first name was NOT really Duffy, but very few people know his real first name, and he was officially called Duffy.

(His mother worked with me briefly while I was marching and finally revealed his birth name to me. I have never told a soul what it is).

Duffy was the Drum major in '71 and his real name is Herb

Steve you are correct, the marching majors made their debut at CYO Nationals in 1971. That was the big showdown of the east & west won by Blue Rock. Interestingly enough 27th was 7th in that show and two days later won the World Open against the same corps.

Dale

Duffy was the Drum major in '71 and his real name is Herb

Awwwww, John. You're gonna get pantsed at the reunion for revealing that! :P