some old corps photos

Ghost and his mighty STICK lead the charge!

9958.jpg

Photos courtesy of another legend in the Argonauts, Bill Bowles.

Edited by apoch003

Ok, so who was ghost? or should I say GHOST? We had a guy follow us around in 1976 who we picked up on tour somewhere. He was a hippy (remember those??) who told us we were the coolest thing since 2001 A Space Odyssey!!?!??!? Don't remember his name, but he followed us through tour (I think riding along on the equipment truck). Mr. Lancer Legend, can you add to the story??

Ok, so who was ghost? or should I say GHOST? We had a guy follow us around in 1976 who we picked up on tour somewhere. He was a hippy (remember those??) who told us we were the coolest thing since 2001 A Space Odyssey!!?!??!? Don't remember his name, but he followed us through tour (I think riding along on the equipment truck). Mr. Lancer Legend, can you add to the story??

!. Jerry Hickey was the hippy that followed us around in '76 & '77 to give us his auroa.

2. follow this link to see a description of Ghost.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...st&p=463506

I think i remember hearing that Ghost marched in Boston Crussaders during Charley Poole's time.

Edited by john2780

We did have a hippy type that went on tour in '76. We called him The Guru. :beer: He rode the 08 and sat in front of Mad Dog and I. He wore the same T shirt the whole summer. :beer: It said "The Blue Who?" :beer: The best moment was when we were in Michigan for the Pontiac show and the whole corps sat in a circle in the lotus position holding hands with our eyes closed and levitated. :tongue: I still say we all got some air under us that night. :beer: The staff was desperate for ideas and figured a levitation session couldn't hurt. :tongue:

IMO it didn't help much either. :beer:

John Martin - I cannot confirm it was Jerry Hickey (are you thinking of the MJA judge?) but I can 150% confirm his first name was Jerry - and we called him "Jerry the Poet." He was in fact a writer of children's books back home. I think he was from the Foxboro area.

Our first introduction was when we arrived in Colorado. When we went outside first thing in the morning, there he was - in his sleeping bag - under a tree. I know he loved us - the energy he felt and sensed. George B was cautiously guarded about him getting too close to the corps.

Steve S - are you talking about the same guy riding the '08? I didn't think George B let him on a bus, and I do remember him thumbing all over creation to see us.

I remember a run thru we had after beating Madison - we came OTL to Crown at about 180 - the drumline laughing it was so freaking fast. At the end of the OTL - the staff - and Jerry were jumping out of the stands.

In Toledo, at Key to the Sea, Jerry got us into a huge circle and we chanted b - e a - gg - r - e - ss - i - v - e. And when that didn't work, we ate cheese for a boost of energy.

At our Holiday Inn after Philly Finals, I remember a poem that Jerry wrote to us was taped to the wall. I wonder if anyone ever kept it? I am certain he wanted to stay close to us, I am sure he had great intentions.

!. Jerry Hickey was the hippy that followed us around in '76 & '77 to give us his auroa.

2. follow this link to see a description of Ghost.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...st&p=463506

I think i remember hearing that Ghost marched in Boston Crussaders during Charley Poole's time.

Great Ghost story!

John, don't you think if his last name was Hickey I would have remembered it! Jerry Hickey was a judge, once married to Mary B.

I agree that he probably was not allowed to ride the bus. He mostly hitched, but I think once he rode the equipment truck.

And, ah yes, levitating!

Steve S - are you talking about the same guy riding the '08? I didn't think George B let him on a bus, and I do remember him thumbing all over creation to see us.

Well I know he sat in front of us once. It may have been only that one time. Things are starting to get fuzzy. :tongue: The rest of your account brings back more memories but his name remains a mystery.