some old corps photos

The first picture was taken at 1976 DATR. Second two were taken I think in Ft. Collins, Colorado in 1976. If not for the North tenors I don't think most people would recognize the Blue Devils. Whenever I read complaints about incomplete early season uniforms I always think back to this show. Their new tops hadn't arrived so they were wearing powder blue short sleeve shirts. They looked like summer dress Air Force shirts. Actually a pretty good look. Notice the drum major in the third picture is wearing the satin top from 1975

Devils1.jpg

Devils2.jpg

Devils3.jpg

These are from the 1976 Drums Along the Rockies. Notice Mile High has no east side stands.

27th and Danny Boy

I remember that night. The East stands were missing because the then new floating east stands were just being constructed. They could be moved out for base ball and close in for foot ball. You'll notice the pitchers' mound was leveled for the show. That was a good thing. I did at least one show somewhere where it wasn't leveled. If you look at the sideline in the 27th photo you'll see a studio TV camera (blue). The shows were broadcast live on the Jumbo tron over the finish line end zone. (I'm not sure if the show was actually on TV or if it was taped.) That was a big deal back then! Since we never got to see the corps on the field, I was tempted to stop and watch our performance! We won that night and a few of the corps went to Casa Bonita. There were about 12 bus loads of kids. We wondered if there would be a problem feeding everyone and if the close quarters of a restaurant would increase the friction between such fierce competitors. It turned out that the place is so huge and everyone was having such a blast that nobody cared about corps rivalry. We even made some friends! Colorado was celebrating its 350th (I think) anniversary of its discovery by the Spanish. There was a big ceremony before the usual full retreat complete with fireworks. Half the fireworks blew up on the ground while we stood just around the corner by a wall. A little bit more excitement than we expected. Those were the days!

Edited by up4479

The first picture was taken at 1976 DATR. Second two were taken I think in Ft. Collins, Colorado in 1976. If not for the North tenors I don't think most people would recognize the Blue Devils. Whenever I read complaints about incomplete early season uniforms I always think back to this show. Their new tops hadn't arrived so they were wearing powder blue short sleeve shirts. They looked like summer dress Air Force shirts. Actually a pretty good look. Notice the drum major in the third picture is wearing the satin top from 1975

LMOA, my corps bought the old unis early 1976 and used them for three seasons. No idea where they went next but were still in good condition.

Few months ago I saw the DVD for 1975 DCI and started having flashbacks when BD came out. We had the same type and color of shako but the strip on the pants was different.

Mrs. Beasley, right?

Yes that's her! :whip: I loved her, forget Barbie...lol

[Garry, Vegas Vanguard is rehearsing Wed nights and all day Saturdays @ SVHS]

This is straight from the Useless Info Division in my head.

These are the hero lines of my youth.

(I have copies of Spirit’s 1980 Finals Ex Sheets…stop laughing)

Please no flames if I miss a fact or three. I have 4 kids and a mortgage. I’m happy to remember milk, eggs and toilet paper on the way home from work.

Devils: brushed chrome 14" Challenger ST's with bongos; Hadley carriers; no scoops

2-7: Red 15" TDRs (and that super-sexy slammin' Spaceline); no scoops; X-L carriers?

Bayonne: White 15" Challenger STs; straps+leveling bar+leg rests; no scoops

Spirit: 15" White with rainbow decal TDRs; anodized alumn carriers out of FL (CMI?)

Phantom: White 15" Challenger STs; scoops; McCormick (yech) carriers;

Madison: 15" Challenger STs with the ‘M’ embossed Red drum cover; scoops, strap

SCV: Red 14" TDRs; Hadleys

Crossmen: White 15" Challenger STs; straps, scoops with Iron Cross logo

Cavies: 15” Chrome TDRs covered in orange-ish material

Garfield: 15” White TDRs; X-L carriers?

North Star: 15” Chrome wall; straps; scoops.

Guardsmen: 14” white TDRs

…now, back to the future…

I'm not sure what Cavies played in 80. In 79 we started the year with 15" TDR's (kind of a white/pearl color) and switched to 14" in the middle of the summer. If you look at any pics from finals, you see the snares have black chrome hardware (from the 15" drums), except for the 14" hoops( which are regular chrome). I doubt if they went back to 15" drums for 80, but they could of.

Just got a picture CD from a former VK/VK Squires member. Most I could identify, but a couple I need a confirmation.

1971 Garfield Cadets @ VFW Parade, Dallas, TX

vk003.jpg

1971 27th Lancers @ VFW Parade, Dallas, TX

vk006.jpg

1971 Blue Rock @ VFW Parade, Dallas, TX

vk012.jpg

Garry in Vegas

Wow! Those Blue Rock (?: Before my time, lol) uniforms are really pretty. Well, being a hometown Pittsburgher, no wonder I like the gold and black. :whip:

vk012.jpg

Ouch...the size of that cymbal,,,must've weigheda ton!

Plus it looks like a grip used in a concert setting, not the hand-through-the-strap used by lines like SCV today....that could NOT have been comfortable...I'm getting a hand cramp just looking at it!

You mean this one?

gallery_4_34992.jpg

There are a lot of really good pics of all decades' Troopers, including really stunning and/or rare '60's and '70's pics at http://www.troopersdrumcorps.org/forums/in...autocom=gallery

Oh, yeahhhhh.... it just about summed up all the coolness the corps had in my mind.....

Ouch...the size of that cymbal,,,must've weigheda ton!

Plus it looks like a grip used in a concert setting, not the hand-through-the-strap used by lines like SCV today....that could NOT have been comfortable...I'm getting a hand cramp just looking at it!

Those 26" cymbals WERE pretty heavy... SC's Gary Siebert (who played that size, also in '71) worked overtime lifting weights and became a local legend. Cymbals were always held with the proper concert grip (except with the straps wrapped around the hands). The hands-through grip didn't happen until the '90's, I think.