some old corps photos

1973 Nationals Program, Crusaders, Etobicoke Ontario, photo courtesy of Eric McConachie

Program notes; “…celebrating their 4th birthday this year…1972 Junior B National title and Western Circuit Champions…repertoire for 1973 ‘Overture from Tommy’, ‘Hosanna’, ‘The Temple’, ‘Everything’s All Right’, ‘King Herods Song’, ‘I Don’t Know How to Love Him’, ‘Fanfare from Tommy’…”

73-etobicoke.jpg

My notes; I read somewhere they bought St. Catharines Chessmen uniforms which looked like Phantom Regiments uniforms. Looks like 2 of the Butler sisters are in this photo. I was a friend of the Butler and Seaton families 1970’s. Sue and I continued to correspond for 20 years but she or I moved, lost her address…

edit: i looked around...in this photo, Sue is the left tri, Val is the right tri, there was a 3rd tri, a guy, photo may be 72...Sue and Val marched Etobicoke snare line 74, says Val...she marched with Scouthouse 2009...the cymbal player in the photo might be Joan...Sue's sister...

Edited by lindap

Yes Sue, it was a shade of light green. The white sleeves and different shade of green in the scarves added a bit more color to the field. In '82, they also added a red feather to the aussie. To my knowledge, that's the first year they did that.

My friend used to live up on Twin Peaks. Great views up there.

82-1.jpg

Sue,

I seem to remember Quasar wearing black one year.

That ring a bell with you?

Yeah, I think that was more of a turban which came later (see third photo montage below). But before that, they did use a white head wrap. Checking through my WGI photos, in 1978, they wore a white head wrap under a white hat. There may be more years than that, but 1978 is what I have, in terms of photos. And I was fortunate enough to be at that first WGI finals, and I thought I remembered that being part of their uniform:

wgichamps.jpeg

wgififth1.jpeg

wgififth2.jpeg

FWIW, Skylarks followed suit in 1980 (edit -- looks like '79, too):

skylarks.jpeg

Edited by byline

That's it!!!

The Styx show from '79 with the fog machine was what I was remembering.

Definately more of a turban than a do-rag'

Yeah, I think that was more of a turban which came later (see third photo montage below). But before that, they did use a white head wrap. Checking through my WGI photos, in 1978, they wore a white head wrap under a white hat. There may be more years than that, but 1978 is what I have, in terms of photos. And I was fortunate enough to be at that first WGI finals, and I thought I remembered that being part of their uniform:

maumeehighabout66.jpg

Mid 60's show in Maumee, OH

Queen City Cadets, Port Clinton Sweethearts and Glass City Optimists (Maumee Suns). Maumee Demons in the background playing themselves on.

Looks like someone with a Royal Lancers jacket on sitting on the bench but I doubt they were here.

Edited by baja

maumeehighabout66.jpg

Mid 60's show in Maumee, OH

Queen City Cadets, Port Clinton Sweethearts and Glass City Optimists (Maumee Suns). Maumee Demons in the background playing themselves on.

Looks like someone with a Royal Lancers jacket on sitting on the bench but I doubt they were here.

Since we had people marching in the Demons Senior corps there could have been some of us there to watch as well.

Kemo

1973 Nationals Program, Crusaders, Etobicoke Ontario, photo courtesy of Eric McConachie

Program notes; “…celebrating their 4th birthday this year…1972 Junior B National title and Western Circuit Champions…repertoire for 1973 ‘Overture from Tommy’, ‘Hosanna’, ‘The Temple’, ‘Everything’s All Right’, ‘King Herods Song’, ‘I Don’t Know How to Love Him’, ‘Fanfare from Tommy’…”

73-etobicoke.jpg

My notes; I read somewhere they bought St. Catharines Chessmen uniforms which looked like Phantom Regiments uniforms. Looks like 2 of the Butler sisters are in this photo. I was a friend of the Butler and Seaton families 1970’s. Sue and I continued to correspond for 20 years but she or I moved, lost her address…

edit: i looked around...in this photo, Sue is the left tri, Val is the right tri, there was a 3rd tri, a guy, photo may be 72...Sue and Val marched Etobicoke snare line 74, says Val...she marched with Scouthouse 2009...the cymbal player in the photo might be Joan...Sue's sister...

I saw all the Butlers recently. I just wish I could remember where. Could have been at the Buffalo show, might have been at the reunion in October (got there late, so not likely). I hope someone gives me a memory for Christmas.

Regards,

John

PS, I probably know everyone in that snare line too, but they all look so young I can't tell who is who. I'm going to guess Kevin Bugden is the one on the left.

Edited by sarnia sam