some old corps photos

Did Debbie become Debbie Knaub - Stanley's ex? When she arrive in Revere, she had heard of me - from my "hairy man" contest with Bubba while on tour in 1976.

Stanley married??? a WOMAN??? weird...

OK, what's up with four snares doing traditional grip and three doing matched grip??

(three on the right tenors????  Did I just answer my own question??)

You are correct. Three on right are tenors. I am on far right.

For the record, I've never seen anyone with more hair on their back than LancerLegend, I'll post a picture, even with a 2-7 carved out he has more than anyone I've seen, and I was there in 76. Although I don't remember this contest specifically, I was probably sleeping on the bus!

#2 - a 16 year old Carol Abohatab is different than a 40 year old Carol Abohatab - in a fabulous way of course.....we shared the 50 her first year - 1979, she was a powerhouse, but I'm not sure who was more nervous, her or I....those big eyes would look at me when they would say is the corps ready, and I thought we'd both faint at the same time! We had a word we'd say to each other 4 or 5 times while dressing center that would calm us both down....

I wonder if her Dad is still alive, he was so handsome, and such a fabulous gentle man. He had the most beautiful eyes!

Edited by LancerFi

LancerFi - That was Debbie Leason in that SCV picture.  When I was hanging out with Vanguard in 72 she and Stan Knaub were going out, later to marry for a while.

What I remember was how superior a rifle duet that Stan and Deb were.  Since he and I lived in the same house Debbie was over a lot and they worked out amazing routines.  I remember having the good fortune to have made a small contribution to one of their routines by finding a particular rhythm pattern for them to "play" after hearing it "emerge" in a pattern, you know, one of those "Dude, wait! Do that again....now do it twice!....now find a way to make this sound! Now do all three together.....cool, eh?"

Those were some good times, but I wonder if the landlord was ever curious about all the dents in the living room ceiling from Deb and Stan's indoor rifle and pike work.

I'm grinning just to think back on it.

RON HOUSLEY

Ron, thanks for that fabulous story! She had such a presence about her, and when she walked into the field house in Revere in street clothes, I knew exactly who she was.....she stood out like that, and I enjoyed meeting her if only for that 6 hour practice!

Stan Knaub and I spent a lot of time together being about two thirds of the creative staff of The Lynwood Diplomats from sometime in the fall or winter of 70 through mid summer of 1971. We had worked together the year before with The Lakewood Ambassadors: me on brass and him on, well, "movement."

I'd know him and "of" him through the early 60s when he was in The Diplomats and I marched in another parade corps. He was one of those local drum corps rats from Long Beach and Lakewood.

Most talented all around person I probably ever met. While we were working together I spent more time around him than I did my own wife, much to her chagrin, I'm sure. But the creative times were worth it as we would feed off each other's ideas and energies. He took my place in the line when I got drafted out of The Anaheim Kingsmen and went in my place to Anaheim's debut at 1967 Nationals in New Orleans.....and knocked me off the podium the year before by placing 3rd in an individuals contest at All American Judging Nationals in Anaheim the previous year....must have been his last year of jr. high and I had just won Cal State Open baritone individs a month before at the age of 19, I think.

When we all moved up to Santa Clara in January of 72 after he had marched on tour with Vanguard the previous year is pretty much when he hooked up with Deb Leason. Five Vanguard brass players and one 25 year old pretty average rookie arranger (me) and our various girlfriends. And with all due respect, yes, he went out with women back in those days as he was sorting things out for himself, if I may use that expression.

They must have married after August of 72 as that's when I moved out of California and when they divorced I have no idea. I do know that they were pretty evenly matched talent-wise when it came to the art of the rifle and both pretty intense personality-wise though she might have had the edge there.

It was a treat to see her picture again....one of those women one never forgets.

RON HOUSLEY

67 Anaheim Kingsmen

Edited by ffernbus3

Here's a memory to last a lifetime from 1976.

SCV and 27th were standing side by side - lined up after a show waiting for the now infamous retreat. While the corps were frozen at attention, the drum majors were exchanging "bragging rights" at each other. Finally, from within SCV's hornline comes a boast, "we've got the hairiest guy in the world." 27th's dm Gerry Boyle comes over to me, and we looked at each other. Without a moment's hesitation, Boyle smiles at me and throw's down the gauntlet by yelling back - "we'll see about that, right after this show."

I need to preface this. Earlier in the day, 27th had been reminded about uniform etiquette. Namely - you were either "in" uniform, or you were "out" of uniform. Absolutely nothing in between. No one is allowed to walk around in public half dressed. It was repeated several times until every last one of us understood.

Back to the show, the scores were announced for the show, but the attention was on the hairest man contest. Tension was building. As both corps left the field, we assembled in the middle of the street under a street light. Both corps circled Bubba and me. Bubba quickly lifts his tunic over his head - I'm slowly unbuttoning my shirt.  The corps are cheering us on, everyone screaming and laughing. Behind the corps stands close friends Gayle Royer (with is cup of "coffee") and George Bonfiglio watching us. All I can think of is George B's speech earlier in the day - either you are "in" or "out" of uniform - as I stand there in my kilt and t-shirt. Then the unveiling of our bare chests - the corps were screaming laughing. Bubba grabs a handful of my chest hair and rips it out (that still hurts....) and I grab a handful of his. We raise each others arms in true friendship and the corps were having a blast.

Three years later - Birmingham 1979 (I aged out in 1977) - SCV marches by in single file and someone yells to me "its the hair man."

Every year I see SCV - I always ask if Bubba is around. I have been told he's been a truck or bus driver so many times - and that he is always "right here somewhere." I have never seen him since 1977. If anyone (Trish???) sees him, please tell him I extend my very best, and hopefully one of these days we'll reconnect.

And yes - our backs look similar.  b**bs

Jim

LOL!

What a fun night that was..... 1976.

When I do see Bubba again, I'll be sure to let him know.

Last night at Santa Claras Show, the annoucement was made about the SCV 2007 Alumni Corps,

so I'm sure Bubba will be in touch soon. :)

LOL!

What a fun night that was..... 1976.

When I do see Bubba again, I'll be sure to let him know.

Last night at Santa Claras Show,  the annoucement was made about the SCV 2007 Alumni Corps,

so I'm sure Bubba will be in touch soon.  :)

I think this time you have this "hairest man contest" do it at centre field at finals after the scores are read so we can all enjoy this exciting and meaningless contest. The winner gets to shave the others back!!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

I know they'll have electricity at the 50 yard line. Gentlemen bring your clippers or shaving foam and 5 razors !!! B)

I think this time you have this "hairest man contest" do it at centre field at finals after the scores are read so we can all enjoy this exciting and meaningless contest. The winner gets to shave the others back!!!!   b**bs  b**bs  b**bs  b**bs

I know they'll have electricity at the 50 yard line. Gentlemen bring your clippers or shaving foam and 5 razors !!! B)

I am not going to do this in public.....I'm a very shy guy by nature and this is a private thing between SCV and 27th. I don't mind sharing the story with strangers, but I'm not going to stand on the 50 in front of an audience.

As for shaving my back - I have - sort of. Actually, only one guy - John2780 - has shaven a 27 in my back 3 times. In 1977 - for my age out year - our drum line was doing very well and I wanted to kick it up a notch and go out with a bang. I told John - shave me (like Rocky said in the movie - cut me, cut me). Again in 1980 - we were having some success and I was teaching. It was John and LancerFi's age out year - I wanted to help boost the corps moral. So again - I told John - shave me.

In 1994 - we knew we had something special to do in Foxboro. Alumni and non-alumni were doing crazy things - shaving 27 in their hair, etc. John did not march, but I stopped by his home and my family watched as I told John one last time - shave me. I love John and we've had millions of laughs and tears together, and I wouldn't trust anyone else with a razor.

Edited by LancerLegend

I am not going to do this in public.....I'm a very shy guy by nature and this is a private thing between SCV and 27th. I don;t mind sharing the story, but I'm not going to stand on the 50 in front of an audience.

As for shaving my back - I have - sort of. Actually, one guy - John2780 has shaven a 27 in by back 3 times. In 1977 - for my age out year - our drum line was doing very well and I wanted to kick it up a notch and go out with a bang. I told John - shave me (like Rocky said in the movie - cut me, cut me). Again in 1980 - we were having some success and I was teaching. It was John and LancerFi's age out year - I wanted to help boost the corps moral. So again - I told John - shave me.

In 1994 - we knew we had something special to do in Foxboro. Alumni and non-alumni were doing crazy things - shaving 27 in their hair, etc. John did not march, but I stopped by his home and my family watched as I told John one last time -  shave me.

Well, did he ??? :rock: