some old corps photos

Sorry Tommy, I don't mean to aggravate you on Christmas but I just found these. This is Alliance 1983. Maybe the ugliest uniforms ever.

alliance.jpg

alliance-3.jpg

alliance-4.jpg

Looking back, of course, they're awful, but the colors were pretty much on trend for 1983, if a little haphazardly matched. I didn't hate Alliance very much at all (and those snare carriers with the logo? Very cool.), it's just that the Zingali/Twiggs imprimatur led audiences (and judges, IMHO) to believe they were going to get a cutting-edge Garfield Jr. And, as I've said before, with that repertoire, despite the crazy uniforms and (second-rate) Zingali drill, Alliance was about as cutting-edge as a baby's butt.

Vk-Snares009a.jpg

Sorry Dave but that guy on the far end is Scott Moreno.

. . .

Interestingly three snares from that 79 VK line went on to BD and SCV during the early 80's. It would've been four except that Scott had already joined Phantom.

And, including Scott K., all 4 of 'em ended up in BD's snareline... one with a detour through Phantom, the other though SCV.

Good to hear Scott M. still drums. He was a good set player (and snare) back in the day. Scott recruited 3 guys from that 79 pic -- 2 basses and another snare (myself) -- from a little high school in Covina. I have him to blame. :worthy:

Happy Holidays, G.

WOW! Is it me, or does that second guy from the right look about 40 years old?

I didn't notice at first - just couldn't keep my eyes off those gauntlets!

And what kind of horn is that, Dave?

Puppet

Vk-Snares009a.jpg

And, including Scott K., all 4 of 'em ended up in BD's snareline... one with a detour through Phantom, the other though SCV.

Good to hear Scott M. still drums. He was a good set player (and snare) back in the day. Scott recruited 3 guys from that 79 pic -- 2 basses and another snare (myself) -- from a little high school in Covina. I have him to blame. :worthy:

Happy Holidays, G.

I believe that's JIM Navarro, or perhaps some other Joe (third snare from left in this photo). If I'm mistaken, my wife will agree with you.

Jim was a solid horse and crack up who stood next to the wonderfully funny and quietly world famous Dave Glyde (Valley Fever / Troop / SCV / BD snare / BD arranger) in the 1984 / DCI rules transitioning from ticks-to-kisses / Devils - Float snareline.

As I recall, Jim came by way of Freelances and SCV. Dave a and Jim were two SCV snare gods who migrated north to a 'cooler' climate in the 84 BD snare line.

~Dot

Edited by SilverDot

My memory is fading fast on that. I don't recall if it was Pete or Bobby Hoffman, who was our main visual guy back then. I don't even recall Pete being with us in 1970, though I do for 71 and 72. Probably me...Frank "Ironlips" Dorittie would be a better source on this.

I checked Drum Corps History, Vol. 1 (pg.118) talking about 1971 Garfield's 'American Revolution' show and got "...The concert number was Charles Ives' "Variations On America." And again, they used Bobby Hoffman's concept in a color pre push with the flag cruising down the middle of a giant Pete Emmons' peace sign, while the corps rendered Battle Hymn out of Concert...."

And then a page back (pg. 117) "...The culture of the late 1960s and early 1970s brought the influence of the rock culture to drum corps, which resulted in som corps trying to make musical/political statements -- the Garfield Cadets, who debuted the controversial peace sign which Pete Emmons had conceived in 1969.

It was brought to the field with the help of Bobby Hoffman and executed during Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit," but some VFW-influenced judged dumped the corps, which nearly cost them a spot af VFW National Finals at Miami in 1970...."

Makes me want to go find a copy of those show....have to check the usual sources or maybe I already have at least 71 stored somewhere. Anyway. I'ma huntin' them rare rascal up.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Dale,

If I remember the chain of events correctly, the Heightsmen last marched independently in '78.

In '79 they merged with the Ambassadors to form Royal Marquis.

That merger lasted just for that year and split up.

The Heightsmen then merged with Spectra from Weymouth and came out as the Spectra-Heightsmen Alliance in '80.

What was left of the Malden group merged with my corps and the name Gaurdsmen was kept for our last season in '80.

Here is one of the Arlington Heightsmen from 1980. They became part of the Alliance that I think came in 13th place in 83.

80heightsmen.jpg

Edited by dckid80

I checked Drum Corps History, Vol. 1 (pg.118) talking about 1971 Garfield's 'American Revolution' show and got "...The concert number was Charles Ives' "Variations On America." And again, they used Bobby Hoffman's concept in a color pre push with the flag cruising down the middle of a giant Pete Emmons' peace sign, while the corps rendered Battle Hymn out of Concert...."

Yup...that is true. However, as many corps had started to do...our "American: flag was really a faux flag to avoid flag violations...and that flag marched alongside a faux British flag as well. This is a pic from 1971...a vidcap from the Haas video.

PeacesignBattleHymn.jpg

Here is a large pic of the end of color pre....from Theholynamecadets.org site

Colorpre

And then a page back (pg. 117) "...The culture of the late 1960s and early 1970s brought the influence of the rock culture to drum corps, which resulted in som corps trying to make musical/political statements -- the Garfield Cadets, who debuted the controversial peace sign which Pete Emmons had conceived in 1969.

It was brought to the field with the help of Bobby Hoffman and executed during Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit," but some VFW-influenced judged dumped the corps, which nearly cost them a spot af VFW National Finals at Miami in 1970...."

1970 was the first year we marched it...to "White Rabbit", as you wrote. and yes, Tony "hic" Schlechta's public comments about us nearly cost us a spot in finals.

Makes me want to go find a copy of those show....have to check the usual sources or maybe I already have at least 71 stored somewhere. Anyway. I'ma huntin' them rare rascal up.

RON HOUSLEY

I have 71 on DVD from the HAAS videos for sale on drumcorpsvideos.com. It's the World Open show. I think am going to buy the 1971 VFW Nats that has just been released.

I believe that's Joe Navarro, or perhaps some other Joe (third snare from left in this photo). If I'm mistaken, my wife will agree with you.

Joe was a solid horse and crack up who stood next to the wonderfully funny and quietly world famous Dave Glyde (Valley Fever / Troop / SCV / BD snare / BD arranger) in the 1984 / DCI rules transitioning from ticks-to-kisses / Devils - Float snareline.

As I recall, Joe came by way of Freelances and SCV. Dave a and Joe were two SCV snare gods who migrated north to a 'cooler' climate in the 84 BD snare line.

~Dot

Great....now put up a pic of the only GOOD lookin' one in the snare line...and i do NOT mean you guys wearing the guard's tube tops for the last Finals Day runthru!

Carla on her WORST day beat you guys on your best! :worthy:

Gotta post this pic on the BD boards and see if Joe recognizes it.

SCV won drums in 79 with 12. Not sure if that was the largest snare line to win but it's has to be close.

3snares78.jpg

78 Madison 12 snares