some old corps photos

I decided to rescan Blue Rock and Blue Stars.

Blue Rock 1971 -World Open Parade July 16, 1971

IMG_0001-5.jpg

Much better scans... :tongue:

Hey look! A RIFLE... with a bolt! And probably had nickles or washers taped onto the inside of the strap! And HEY...LOOK! A strap!!

:blink:

But are my eyes playing tricks one me? Or does the snare on the right - who I assume is Ralph Hardimon - not have any sticks in his hands?

...and that's gotta be Tom Float on the other end. One bad-a## looking snare line. (And the stick heights overall look pretty high, compared to what I recall from a year or two after this photo...)

Blue Stars - World Open Parade July 16, 1971

IMG_0005-5.jpg

It appears that the street is exactly 18 girls wide. Perfect!

There were 54 photos posted starting back at page 1646.

'18 girls wide. Perfect!' neat comment :-) however, there's 22 in the field show photo! btw, I say pop

This was a very good color guard, intense, focused, snap to the flag pole and evenly matched high mark time...the boot heels would wear down..some guards nailed small metal plates on the heels of their boots. I remember a contest when Blue Stars guard marched by on pavement to get to the field and or they may have been beside us while we lined up for single file retreat? The sound of the boots was awesome. I recall the sight and sound of this guard. thanks

Edit: the sound of the boots was our cadence; during guard rehearsal we'd sing to the repetoire we heard at ensemble and practise flag work while we sang...we had no sound tape machines bitd. Who's Dr. Beat?

Edited by lindap

You know what else is so obvious here is the all the unique distinction of all corps uniforms. Everyone had their own identity uniform-wise and played music that related to that style. Now days your not always 100% sure just who you are seeing out there unless you hear the corps announced...

I really have to disagree with you on this. Back in the day, alot of corps wore military style. Look at how right here on this thread St. Ritas was mistaken for Boston Crusaders. Look at Cadets & Vagabonds from the 70's and it's confusing. I think todays corps have their own style and personalities. Except for maybe Blue Devils & Bluecoats, I don't need to be told who is on the field. ( I use the shako vs. helmets to keep it straight) There is no confusing Phantom's horns from SCV. I will say my biggest fault with today's corps is the fact you can't tell what corps the guard belongs to. I miss the days of a CG wearing the same top as the horns & drums but with a skirt. Please don't take offense to this post, I am really not trying to get into a debate. We can agree to disagree.

Unlike many out in the regular boards, I am absolutely NOT the kind of poster who takes ANY offense what-so-ever to someone having a different point of view than mine. NO need to apologize at all... that is what a place like DCP is for. When anyone has an opinion and insists on ramming it down everyones throat and stating that opinion as absolute fact for EVERYONE and the experience they had, well then I do speak up.

No offense taken what-so-ever!

NOW, that being said... I agree to a certain extent, and the mistake you cited is absolutely correct: St. Ritas for Boston Crusaders. The West Point-type uniform was indeed a popular one in the early 70's. HOWEVER, we had MANY more styles than we do now in my opinion, and I can give you 10 examples very easily right off the top of my head:

- Kilts

- Madison

- Belleville Black Knights

- Blue Stars (who have now moved one step closer to looking like everyone else just last year)

- 27th Lancers

- Santa Clara Vanguard

- Guardsmen

- Muchacho's

- Phantom Regiment

- Oakland Crusaders

Seeing all those corps on the field at one time was like looking at a candy machine with 10 different candy types in it! LOL

In my opinion, if Blue Devils and Bluecoats took off their headgear today, it would take many fans several minutes to know or figure out the difference! :tongue:

And HEY...LOOK! A strap!!

I've posted this elsewhere, but I remember at Whitewater 82 a Madison rifle broke his strap, tried to work with it for a second or two, then tossed it aside for the duration. The crowd eventually caught on (no doubt the guard heads caught it first) and gave him a hand. I wonder how many people realize that show and many others were quite dependent on strap work. I certainly didn't until that moment.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I remember at Whitewater 82 a Madison rifle broke his strap, tried to work with it for a second or two, then tossed it aside for the duration. The crowd eventually caught on (no doubt the guard heads caught it first) and gave him a hand. I wonder how many people realize that show and many others were quite dependent on strap work. I certainly didn't until that moment.

Nice save there.....along the lines of the guy who was preparing for a solo...his mouthpiece popped out, and he quickly stole one from the guy next to him!

Santa Clara Vanguard 1971

IMG-2.jpg

Everytime I look at this picture all I can think of is my father coming in the house at 5:15 every day after work and saying... Hazel, Schlitz!!

Everytime I look at this picture all I can think of is my father coming in the house at 5:15 every day after work and saying... Hazel, Schlitz!!

Funny! I'm in the picture... but I, too, remember a time when my roomate and I would look at each other and say almost the same thing. He's gone, now, as are several of the guys in the picture, but now I'm enjoying this pic for another memory. Thanks! Think I'll have to make a beer run later....

'18 girls wide. Perfect!' neat comment :-) however, there's 22 in the field show photo! btw, I say pop

This was a very good color guard, intense, focused, snap to the flag pole and evenly matched high mark time...the boot heels would wear down..some guards nailed small metal plates on the heels of their boots. I remember a contest when Blue Stars guard marched by on pavement to get to the field and or they may have been beside us while we lined up for single file retreat? The sound of the boots was awesome. I recall the sight and sound of this guard. thanks

Edit: the sound of the boots was our cadence; during guard rehearsal we'd sing to the repetoire we heard at ensemble and practise flag work while we sang...we had no sound tape machines bitd. Who's Dr. Beat?

I agree Linda, they always had an excellent guard & I think this pic lays it out. Check out the perfect heel toe...we see the underside of their boots as their heels are digging in, Also perfect arrangement of tallest to shortest from the middle slopping to the ends and their arm positioning is PERFECT slope of their arms, position of the hands, and thus causing perfect interval.... I just love love this picture. An old school flag line at it's finest.