some old corps photos

Wow, they were pretty big. It's amazing, that a small town like Butler could field CD of A, GBV, Meridian Woodpeckers (all girl fife corps, gotta love the name) and a host of drum and baton groups who were at the top of that game like the East Butler Sparks. I mean that's a lot of kids involved for what was then a small county seat.

Cool pics lindap!

I just got back from the Butler High School Alumni Band. It amazes me how many old time corps people are still around. Of course the Band Director is Andrew Yaracs and his sister Barb is asst. Director. He was the Vagabonds director and she was a DM. Our other DM from those days was there working security, he's a retired state cop. The ony two there from my graduating class, me included, are coprs alumni. Me with the Vagabonds and Laura who marched both CD of A and Woodpeckers. I saw in the stands at least three Vagabond alum who have kids in the marching band. Two of the band parents are corps alumni also. Small world.

Linda of the North,

Hope you did not take that the wrong way, it was nothing against you, as I mentioned most only look at the last page or two so you should keep posting these as they will be new to many.

I was referring more to Johns reply, almost the same as his last, mentioning his "almost cool" period, shades, sideburns, so on.

That is what made me realize that photo was posted once before!

And, Joe Buncie too, great guy, stayed at the house a few times back in the day.

And, you are correct, a beautiful program, very large, glossy, lots of photos, tons of info, best program at that time of any National show.

76 and 77 programs also.

Hey, Mr. bag!

Besides the now established fact that I have a really old and failing memory, I'm just #### happy that my little old not-gonna-beat-anyone-even-if-we-were-the-only-corps-to-show-up drum corps has been posted here a couple of times!

(thanks for the reminder, though!)

Linda's repost gave me the idea/opportunity to send a link to this topic to a few more old Derry folks that I have caught up with in the last couple of years.

Joe was a great guy to be around, especially when he wanted to talk about the 'old days' - I still have a folder of his hand written scores in the closet. No computer music programs back then - maybe I'll scan them in and post them somewhere for posterity.

Hey, Mr. bag!

Besides the now established fact that I have a really old and failing memory, I'm just #### happy that my little old not-gonna-beat-anyone-even-if-we-were-the-only-corps-to-show-up drum corps has been posted here a couple of times!

(thanks for the reminder, though!)

Linda's repost gave me the idea/opportunity to send a link to this topic to a few more old Derry folks that I have caught up with in the last couple of years.

Joe was a great guy to be around, especially when he wanted to talk about the 'old days' - I still have a folder of his hand written scores in the closet. No computer music programs back then - maybe I'll scan them in and post them somewhere for posterity.

Hi John,

To be honest, I randomly picked 6-7 photos from 75 US Open to scan. Sometimes we'd show up at a contest and win!

Here's 1974 Ogdensburg, NY. Yeah, I'm short and a wee bit shy. We guard girls get together every few years, good times continued ;-)

regards, from Linda of the North :-)

ps. busy as work but I'll try to post later and thanks fleabag, you're good people

1974-ogdensburg1-a.jpg

Hi John,

To be honest, I randomly picked 6-7 photos from 75 US Open to scan. Sometimes we'd show up at a contest and win!

Here's 1974 Ogdensburg, NY. Yeah, I'm short and a wee bit shy. We guard girls get together every few years, good times continued ;-)

ps. busy as work but I'll try to post later and thanks fleabag, you're good people

1974-ogdensburg1-a.jpg

you just reminded me of our Canadian 'tour' one year - I can't remember the corps that hosted/housed us, but recall it was in the Metro Toronto area and we had a blast! a couple of us stayed with the corps director's family, and his kids introduced us to Downtown Toronto, the CN Tower, YOUNGE STREET :tongue: , all courtesy of an extremely amusing ride on the subway system. I also recall performing at Ontario Place on the way home.

of course we came in last at the show, but who cared! wish I could find the pics....

Their uniform tunic was a cream colour, red/green trim and a red sash. I think the lining was red or white. The pants were a forest green to represent the Oak trees surrounding the grounds of De La Salle College ‘Oaklands’. The shakos’ plumes were a vibrant red. My brother marched in Del.

Thanks for this! I always wondered why "Oaklands"! Having never seen De La Salle, my only exposure was after the merger and the turquoise tunics (which I liked a lot!".

There are a lot of interesting stories out there of where corps names came from!!

jim

1974-ogdensburg1-a.jpg

Linda, great photo!

I remember you in this uniform, you may have been short and shy but you were a commanding presence on the field.

Also, l absolutely love the photo below byline posted of you some time ago, such a classic!

You can be my DM any day!

Seneca%20Princemen-1974.JPG