some old corps photos

Dr. Baggs' door was always open, and he was always very friendly, and supportive. This past fall, I instructed one of his grandchildren, who served as drum major for a high school band located near Bergenfield. She was really fantastic, and it was obvious that Dr. Baggs' enormous talent, dedication, and love for music and the marching activity were most certainly  part of her genetic lineage.

Really? That is cool! I know Dr Baggs had 7 children...6 girls and 1 boy (Bernie Jr). Bernie and I were very good friends starting in college...I spent some fun time at their home on weekends in the early 70's. Bernie was in the middle...3 older and 3 younger sisters. He was an usher in my wedding, as a matter of fact.

Both Bernie and his now-wife Trisha played in my senior recital in college...I did some ancient fife and drum music, and Bernie played bass with Trisha on piccolo, me on snare. I invited Dr and Mrs Baggs to my recital, as their son was in it, and they both came. My first piece was a timpani solo, and JUST as I was about to go on stage, Bernie told me his dad was a timpanist primarily. Talk about scaring the heck out of me...esp as a drum corps kid who new Dr Baggs from his judging! Luckily all went well.

When I was starting out judging, around 76, our judging assn, MAA, brought Dr Baggs in to talk about his philosophy of judging...what a great man! I still hold to the things he spoke about. One of them, for example, involved dealing with soloists...he told us that when he encountered a soloist having a tough time, he NEVER made a deal of it on his tape...his attitude was that the soloist knew he was blowing it...the corps staff knew...everyone in the audience knew...there was no need to "pile on"...he preferred to talk about other things going on.

And, of course, Don Angelica was ALWAYS around to offer suggestions, and make corrections. He was constantly up in the pressbox, observing, and believe me...we knew when he was there!!! (Mike, I'm sure you can relate!)

Oh yes! Quite well....I played baritone for Don in the 72 Cadets (3rd bari). Our opening set was these single file rays that started in the end zone and formed a box (Clifton Williams "Sinfonians" was our opener). I led one of the rays....

One day while rehearsing near Teterboro Airport we started the show...the baris had this 5-count note with a cutoff. For some reason, I did one of those "tongue" cutoffs we were always taught not to do, creating a "uht" at the end of the note. Don was standing about 60-70 yards away...he IMMEDIATELY stopped us and yelled my name. That's all he did. :P

Needless to say, I got the message. :)

Being Italian, one of Don's favorite "good eats" ($1 to Alton Brown) was zeppole's. The Montclair State Music dept ran a zeppole stand at a fair we had on campus...I brought Don a bag of hot ones, as I had to leave the fair for rehearsal. I think he MAY have given a few to staff I(Bobby Hoffman, Pete Emons, Fred Sandford, and Ray Capacelli), but he ate most of them himself!

All in all, it was quite  an intense, and very rewarding high school marching experience!

My first full-time music job was as Asst Band Director at Wayne Valley in 76/77 and 77/78...we played you guys in football.

Mike

MIke,

Didnt Dr Baggs judge a few Garden state shows??  Or am i getting them confused with world open, dce,etc..........

He judged any level of drum corps...the 'prestige' of doing top level shows didn't matter to him. I'm sure GSC was something he did, esp living in NJ (Dumont).

BTW...I love the Uncle Floyd avatar!

Mike