Who got 1st place robbed from them

Speaking as one who has both tied for a national title (86 DCUK) and ALMOST tied for one (84 DCI), I don't feel I was robbed.

In my only year of junior corps we won brass (SCV and Garfield tied with us), percussion, and color guard....all the performance captions.  We got killed in GE and were a gnat's whisker behind (and thus,. the margin of loss) in a technical caption (M&M).  I would happily have tied then, but at least I know I got beat by one of the greatest shows of all time; I have been told numberous times that in any other year, BD would've won.

2 years later, I was part of thr BD of Great Britain....a corps so powerful that the Conquest Alliance was formed specifically to beat us...and the best they could do was tie, since we won brass and percussion (would have to dig out my vinyl records for the other captions....the recaps were actually on the back cover)

In neither case did I feel like I kissed my sister, nor was I robbed...I brought my best game and so did my opponents.

As far as judges making a decision...they do...at the time they assign a score to an individual corps.  I sorta doubt the judges are sitting at the table comparing scores and recaps between the last corps and retreat.

Ahh go to sleep, Sam. It's past your bedtime. :P

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would contend that EVERY group that's EVER been forced to "kiss their sister" and have tied are the one's who've been robbed the most! 

Welcome aboard TGK. I take exception to your post. When I relocated to NC for work, in Rockingham no less, it is a normal and accepted custom to kiss your sister. It's done most often while brewing the moonshine and sampling it. b**bs

I'm sorry to continue to burst your bubble, Gerald, but you got me curious. I did some further investigation on frommthepressbox, and with exception of maybe 79 (I say maybe, because there is only one regional recap available and Phantom wasn't even there), there is absolutely not one single year where Phantom went into finals week "undefeated".

I can confirm for you that we were not undefeated going into finals. Madison beat us early, Sprit beat us at Mid-West Prelims, and BD beat us at Showdown and US Open.

Rocketman - setting the record straight

ampssuck

While in Denver '78, didn't Phantom go to the Amusement Park instead of have a rehearsal? I heard that decision had a lot to do with their performance at Prelims.

Mom

Mom:

I don't recall if it was 77 or 78 but, that had nothing to do with our poor preliminary performance in 78. It just SUCKED!

Rocketman - Can we go again?

ampssuck

Mom:

I don't recall if it was 77 or 78 but, that had nothing to do with our poor preliminary performance in 78. It just SUCKED!

ampssuck

Well that's a sorry thing to say about your own performance! :rolleyes: Why would you say that? It's not the truth! :P

Mom:

ampssuck

Come on Rocketman, don't burst my bubble, that prelim show was just awesome...at least I thought so :P

Got Robbed?

I believe that Phantom Regiment has been robbed many times. Especially in 1978.

The controversy over 27th's placement in 1980? If colorguard had a score? IMO, 27th would have won!

I've learned over the years of my marching career.. the all encompassing "visual" doesn't mean a #### of a lot...

Does a visual caption win it all? I don't really know.. I don't compare notes.. so to speak.

I would never ever take away from any of the winners. But I have always thought that musical excellence takes the prize. I'm asking a question I guess.. does a corps so so music beat a visual program?

In many respects (IMO) that has been the case. The two programs I mentioned above suggest so.

I don't know.. I'm biased.. I was a member of at least three colorguards of drum and bugle corps that just never made their corps the greatest. Even when the colorguard was pretty darn good! :)

Sharon

Got Robbed?

I believe that Phantom Regiment has been robbed many times.  Especially in 1978.

The controversy over 27th's placement in 1980?  If colorguard had a score?  IMO, 27th would have won!

I've learned over the years of my marching career.. the all encompassing "visual" doesn't mean a #### of a lot...

Does a visual caption win it all?  I don't really know.. I don't compare notes.. so to speak.

I would never ever take away from any of the winners.  But I have always thought that musical excellence takes the prize.  I'm asking a question I guess.. does a corps so so music beat a visual program?

In many respects (IMO) that has been the case.  The two programs I mentioned above suggest so.

I don't know.. I'm biased.. I was a member of at least three colorguards of drum and bugle corps that just never made their corps the greatest.  Even when the colorguard was pretty darn good!  :)

Sharon

the color guard did have a score and we maxed out. it came down to va and we didn't max out.