Who got 1st place robbed from them

I don't know why folks say 27th Lancers were flat in 1980, that is just not true to me. I just don't think they let the emotion all go like they could have, there is a difference. They were protective maybe but not flat. I can only imagine what would've happened if they would've let all hang out. But there was nothing "flat" about that performance. Not to me. I know I didn't march that year but that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm feeling, when I see it, which is, "man did they get robbed". :)

Well, their best performance for me was in Allentown, sizzling, dazzling, on fire....almost "Bluedevil-esque" and it seems they might have peaked that night.

The performance on finals night was noticeably different and the emotion and performance was tentative.

We just knew they didnt pull it off after they finished, even before BD took the field. A lot of us fans, youngsters, newbies ere crying cause we knew the dynamo was coming to take their title and the Lancers had their chance.....they did a wonderful job, excellent job...my favorite corps of all time...period, but they seemed top have peaked a week before.

~G~

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Got Ripped":

1967:  American Legion Nationals, Juniors.  The Boston Crusaders, who had won the Prelims were dumped into second place, losing to the Chicago Cavaliers who rose from a fourth place finish in the qualifier.

The following day, at CYO Nationals, Boston beat Chicago by four POINTS.

Elphaba

That would NEVER happen today! Too bad.

Rocketman - in second place

ampssuck

I have to disagree on this one too. I know others thought that BD was robbed this year and that there are some that SCV should have pushed ahead.

The majority of the people around me in Denver were all saying that SCV should have jumped BD - mind you this was from a fan/alumni perspective about 5 rows from the very top - and of course, most of the people there, were not fans of BD to begin with. But, I too was hoping that SCV would jump to 2nd at finals. I really enjoyed BD's show, it was the first one I really enjoyed since their 97 show, but it just wasn't all there for me. Just my thought.

Having been on the 80-27th staff - I can say without reservation - it was not the performance we had hoped for. As a sidebar - George B used to compare my 1976 Lancer corps with Nadia Cominicci (sp?) and Olga Korbet. He'd ask us what was the diff between the Romanian and the Russian? The simple facts are that Ogla - the reigning Olympic champ from 1972, was afraid to loose, while Nadia had everything to gain.

Fast forward to 1980 and the same holds true. 27th, never have been in that position, was a bit tentative and perhaps held back. We were nervous - at least I know I was and I wasn't marching. One of our snares at the last run thru was scared to death. Allentown was diff. We had just lost 2 shows (Thursday at CYO, Friday in Bayonne) and we let it all hang out - it paid off well. Anyway - it was a great season - especially for those of us that went from Lake Placid to Birmingham.

Having been on the 80-27th staff - I can say without reservation - it was not the performance we had hoped for. As a sidebar - George B used to compare my 1976 Lancer corps with Nadia Cominicci (sp?) and Olga Korbet. He'd ask us what was the diff between the Romanian and the Russian? The simple facts are that Ogla - the reigning Olympic champ from 1972, was afraid to loose, while Nadia had everything to gain.

Fast forward to 1980 and the same holds true. 27th, never have been in that position, was a bit tentative and perhaps held back. We were nervous - at least I know I was and I wasn't marching. One of our snares at the last run thru was scared to death. Allentown was diff. We had just lost 2 shows (Thursday at CYO, Friday in Bayonne) and we let it all hang out - it paid off well. Anyway - it was a great season - especially for those of us that went from Lake Placid to Birmingham.

I concur with your thought LancerLegend. I remember coming off the field and Peggy Twiggs asking me why we weren't excited. I told her that we had never been in this position before and weren't sure if what we did was good enough. You're right, I think in a way we tried not to lose rather than just go for it like Allentown. But I still held out hope that night that we were just good enough. But as George B. also said, "you have to knock out the champion, not just be as good".

I'd love to here some other "years" conversations--especially from corps members. Since I never marched, this as close as I ever get--screw the age limit.

I like hearing about corps members thoughts as they were heading into championship week. "Do we have a shot?" "Yea, we got screwed" "Boy we got lucky"? "Hope we make Finals!!" "Hope I don't lock the keys in the car--with the car running again" Yes, I did that heading into QF's in 1999. Take the shuttle next time, idiot!

Go "Got Keys?" Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

I concur with your thought LancerLegend.  I remember coming off the field and Peggy Twiggs asking me why we weren't excited.  I told her that we had never been in this position before and weren't sure if what we did was good enough.  You're right, I think in a way we tried not to lose rather than just go for it like Allentown.  But I still held out hope that night that we were just good enough.  But as George B. also said, "you have to knock out the champion, not just be as good".

Welcome to the planet! :) I'm glad you joined us! :)