Percussion Predictions!

gumby5647

Madison may be a contender for the Drum title if (and I do mean if) McNutt doesn't write so many dang notes. Listen to Magic 03 and Madison 04 and the book is too full. Hopefully Beddis will put Mcnutt in his place and hold back the reigns. I personally think that Cadets will win the drum title due to the number of veterans returning from sabbaticals/ injuries and from last year's line. Santa Clara? I dunno.... if the book is just the same as it always has been in the past, you'll see a good showdown between Cadets and SCV again. Cavies could be a sleeper if they add some meat to the book. BD needs to work on the tuning, I guess, (a bass player told me the tuning still makes the line sound dirty). Phantom won't turn many heads this year because they always have a full book that just cannot get clean. my predictions:

1) Cadets

2) Cavies

3) BD

4) SCV

5) Madison (if McNutt pulls back on the notes. if not, then drop them to 10th) (If Madison drops to 10th, place phantom in 5th spot)

6) Phantom

7) BK (Line could be trying to get back to 2000's 3rd place finish)

8) X-Men (Hazlett, new people, I'm not completely sold on this, yet)

9) Boston (Vivano needs some work, has good thoughts just needs more enphansis on cleaning and musicality)

10-12 I have no idea!

oh gosh...where to start....

It's funny that you mention Madison as having a boatload of notes but completely leave out PR and SCV...both of which had FAR more notes in 04 that Madison did. And Madison's 04 Percussion book was the most musical book i've EVER heard from that organization ...

It's somewhat true that PR's drumline is still adjusting to Rennick's books and they've been a tad dirty (more so in 04 than 03)...but again some very musical books coming out of rockford the last two years. Also, Phantom has never been known for having stellar drumlines...with Rennick now on board that is slowly starting to change. witness the two 5th place finishs in 03 and 04 as opposed to the 6th and 10th place finishes with Mason previously.

as for BK...you do realize that part of the reason they made it up to 3rd in 2000 (aside from being clean) was because they had Hannum on staff. Not a knock on their current drum staff because they are making a LOT of progress over the last two years,...but if they want to get back up to 3rd place they've got a LONG way to go. (Crown, Phantom, Blue Devils, Santa Clara, Bluecoats...)

i'd go on but i have to use the bathroom and I'm tired...

Edited by gumby5647

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison may be a contender for the Drum title if (and I do mean if) McNutt doesn't write so many dang notes. Listen to Magic 03 and Madison 04 and the book is too full. Hopefully Beddis will put Mcnutt in his place and hold back the reigns. I personally think that Cadets will win the drum title due to the number of veterans returning from sabbaticals/ injuries and from last year's line. Santa Clara? I dunno.... if the book is just the same as it always has been in the past, you'll see a good showdown between Cadets and SCV again. Cavies could be a sleeper if they add some meat to the book. BD needs to work on the tuning, I guess, (a bass player told me the tuning still makes the line sound dirty). Phantom won't turn many heads this year because they always have a full book that just cannot get clean. my predictions:

1) Cadets

2) Cavies

3) BD

4) SCV

5) Madison (if McNutt pulls back on the notes. if not, then drop them to 10th) (If Madison drops to 10th, place phantom in 5th spot)

6) Phantom

9) Boston (Vivano needs some work, has good thoughts just needs more enphansis on cleaning and musicality)

10-12 I have no idea!

I agree, people need to keep their eye on Madison, they could surprise a lot of people.

1) Cadets

2) Cavies

3) BD

4) SCV

6) Phantom

10-12 I have no idea!

And where are the Bluecoats in your predictions? Just wondering.

sheesh..... fine, depending on how Madison does, between 6-8 in drums.

Also, Phantom has never been known for having stellar drumlines...with Rennick now on board that is slowly starting to change.  witness the two 5th place finishs in 03 and 04 as opposed to the 6th and 10th place finishes with Mason previously.

While I agree with you on this one, their bassline has been PHENOMENAL these last few years. I believe their current bass tech goes back all the way to 2000, when Mason was still there. The entire drumline as a whole is making steady progress, however, and hopefully they'll be able to increase their rankings for next year.

While I agree with you on this one, their bassline has been PHENOMENAL these last few years. I believe their current bass tech goes back all the way to 2000, when Mason was still there. The entire drumline as a whole is making steady progress, however, and hopefully they'll be able to increase their rankings for next year.

You are correct sirt!

Phantom's bassline has been absolutely amazing since 2000...

:music::music::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::music::music:

BD needs to work on the tuning, I guess, (a bass player told me the tuning still makes the line sound dirty).

Tuning can hide dirt. Tuning doesn't make dirt. Clean is clean.

Tuning can hide dirt. Tuning doesn't make dirt. Clean is clean.

Bad tuning can make clean drumming sound bad. You ever drummed next to a guy that has his drum tuned way higher or lower than yours? (i.e. A guy in my college line dropped his drum several times and screwed up the tension rods...it never sounded the same as the other drums after that.) Even if you're playing exactly with that person, it will sound bad.

Are you kidding? Bostons drumlines since Rich Viano took over have been extremely clean and musical. i suggest you listen a bit more closely.

Are you kidding? Bostons drumlines since Rich Viano took over have been extremely clean and musical. i suggest you listen a bit more closely.

15 snares in '03...I thought they did a pretty good job of it. From where I was, it sounded like they nailed it on semi's.

The drumline in '02 was really good...one of the cleanest snare lines of the year IMO.