Percussion Predictions!

gumby5647

My observation of some Cali Corps drumlines that ive seen so far

SCV is sounding great this year. Watch out. Thats all I have to say about that. Props to you if you’re in the line and reading this.

BD has has work to do, but they have the talent(and staff) to get to where they need to be. They will no doubt have worked it out by the time they get back and start touring the US. They will be strong contenders once they build up some momentum. VERY talented bunch of guys and as usual, i think most will enjoy the drumming.

Im lookin for Pacific Crest to place a bit better than last year, which was a little bit of an off year...it happens...but I hope they move up a few places...ive only observed the auditions so im not sure exactly how its workin out since then...it seems as though they had the talent to do a bit better this year...

I haven’t seen impulse/yamato/esperanza yet so anything I would say would be pure speculation...and who needs that.

Good luck to everybody.

-Lukehart

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad tuning can make clean drumming sound bad.  You ever drummed next to a guy that has his drum tuned way higher or lower than yours? (i.e. A guy in my college line dropped his drum several times and screwed up the tension rods...it never sounded the same as the other drums after that.)  Even if you're playing exactly with that person, it will sound bad.

Bad yes. Dirty no. I stand by my original statement.

Bad yes. Dirty no. I stand by my original statement.

To me, the difference between "bad" and "dirty" is very minute. The term "dirty" is almost a further definition of "bad". In the grand scheme of things, I think the terms are interchangeable.

Edited by Kickenwing

15 snares in '03...I thought they did a pretty good job of it.  From where I was, it sounded like they nailed it on semi's.

The drumline in '02 was really good...one of the cleanest snare lines of the year IMO.

haha, you should have heard that lick in mid-july at dcm....

my rendition of that lick...

dut digga FUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........

and their bass drums with those fiberskin heads....that was just an odd year

i know BD is gonna be a strong line this year, at least from what i saw back in december/january. theyve got lots of talent and experience. good luck BD. also SCV, despite all the ageouts will be strong im sure. watch out for them too! also down south i think PC and Yamato will do very well, theyre shaping up great for this season! to all the other lines...good luck and keep up the hard work, we'll see this summer what happens.

Madison's Percussion section last year was one of the most under-rated sections on the field.

With McNutt and Beddis at the helm...I have no doubt that the boys from Madison will be drumming their be-hinds off this summer.

If McNutt and Beddis can play nice with each other, they should do well. But they have had their issues in the past, and it wouldn't surprise me to see those issues pop up again. We'll see...

To me, the difference between "bad" and "dirty" is very minute.  The term "dirty" is almost a further definition of "bad".  In the grand scheme of things, I think the terms are interchangeable.

You can be clean and sound bad with poor tuning. "Dirty" is when sticks aren't hitting the heads at the same time. Dirty is bad, but bad isn't necessarily dirty.

Edited by Slow Adam

You can be clean and sound bad with poor tuning. "Dirty" is when sticks aren't hitting the heads at the same time. Dirty is bad, but bad isn't necessarily dirty

I see what you're saying, but if you sound "bad" in front of a judge wether it be because of tuning or just plain being a tick, the judge is going to give a low score. But, like I said, I understand your point

Honestly, I can't see SCV getting any higher than 4th in drums, probably lower. They have had just too many changes. Maybe in a few years they will build it back up. But the grip change took every snare vet they had and made him a rookie. And I heard there wernt many vets to begin with. Add on the staff change and Cassella leaving. This is going to be a big rebuilding year for SCV.