Classic Countdown

SOI, Cavies, Cadets

Best reaction in Greenville, SC was for

1) Spirit - lot's of vets in the house

2) Santa Clara - their 89 show was the best total package of the night

3) Velvet Knights - Who says humor won't fly.....it may not win but fans love it!

In addition to these three I personally really enjoyed

1) Madison

2) 27th Lancers

3) Blue Devils

4) Phantom

5) Boston

The three shows which I enjoyed more than I had anticipated I would were

1) Blue Devils

2) Boston

3) Santa Clara

The Madison, 27, and Spirit shows were great but as a marching member in the early 1980's I had worn out the LP's and original videos of those shows 20 years ago and knew exactly how I would react to seeing them again......it was like running into an old friend!

OK.....so that's how I get to mention 8 shows instead of just three, heh, heh!

Heck....let's go for an even 12........I appreciated the incredible drill and performance level of both Cavies and Star but found little to interest me in what they were doing musically (although I loved 'Pines of Rome' when the Cavies did it a decade earlier). I was really not pleased with the video quality on the earlier corps, Kingsmen in particular. I have this show on VHS back home and can see it better on my television.

Finally - never mind......I'm going to take my mention of the 2000 Cadets to a new thread because I am interested in the responses to my question there.

David

Edited by notelvis

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked SCV, but it was hard to choose last night, cause the sound quality at the theater was awful. Needless to say, to drive 2 hours to hear no middle voices at times and the for sound to get muffled, even on the impacts, had little to be desired. I had a lot of fun, especially when VK was. there was not a dry eye in the place cause everone was laughing that hard.

Best reaction in Greenville, SC was for

1) Spirit - lot's of vets in the house

2) Santa Clara - their 89 show was the best total package of the night

3) Velvet Knights - Who says humor won't fly.....it may not win but fans love it!

In addition to these three I personally really enjoyed

1) Madison

2) 27th Lancers

3) Blue Devils

4) Phantom

5) Boston

OK.....so that's how I get to menion 8 shows instead of just three, heh, heh!

Heck....let's go for an even 12........I appreciated the incredible drill and performance level of both Cavies and Star but found little to interest me in what they were doing musically (although I loved 'Pines of Rome' when the Cavies did it a decade earlier). I was really not pleased with the video quality on the earlier corps, Kingsmen in particular. I have this show on VHS back home and can see it better on my television.

Finally - never mind......I'm going to take my mention of the 2000 Cadets to a new thread because I am interested in the responses to my question there.

David

Actually, the best reaction at Greenville was for Crown at the end, but they didn't count. :P

Madison and SCV were in my top three before the vote results were revealed. After that, it would have been a toss up between SOI and VK.

The drum corps world needs more VK!!!

Actually, the best reaction at Greenville was for Crown at the end, but they didn't count.  :P

The drum corps world needs more VK!!!

Agreed on both points - Carolina Crown didn't (doesn't?) count and we could all use more VK. Was it their 1991 show where the bull does a 'rear-leg salute' to the faux DCI judge laying prone on the turf? THAT was about the funniest thing I can ever recall seeing at a drum corps show.......well, the funniest intentional thing.

David

My favorites:

SCV

Madison

VK

in that order. VK very entertaining, laughed until it hurt. What a great show with a ton of talent.

SCV - my all time favorite. What a great show.

Madison - what can I say - the best.

Edited by DrumCorpMom

SCV

Phanton Reg

Spirit

Agreed on both points - Carolina Crown didn't (doesn't?) count and we could all use more VK. Was it their 1991 show where the bull does a 'rear-leg salute' to the faux DCI judge laying prone on the turf? THAT was about the funniest thing I can ever recall seeing at a drum corps show.......well, the funniest intentional thing.

David

It was the one where the hunter fell in love with the fat lady who was eaten by the shark when she sang. "Now that's art."

Gail

SCV with Phantom of the Opera. It was amazing. I don't get it, how'd they make him dissapeare off the chair. There was no where for him to go!! I couldn't figure it out. How'd they do that?! :o