Classic Countdown: A success?

I've refrained from posting this until now because I'll pull for anything DCI does to be successful, but from the beginning this whole thing has seemed like a poor marketing choice for the activity.

It seems the goal of teaming up with Regal would be to bring drum corps to a larger audience, especially band kids, and having 50% of this broadcast be from an era when the target audience wasn't even born yet seem weird to me. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for old school drum corps, but unlike football (and like figure skating) drum corps is an activity that does not age well to modern eyes.

I would have been much more interested in a produced recap of last season, showing the top 12 shows from finals and high-quality behind the scenes stuff, including perhaps a build-up type approach following regional scores as the season progressed, and hopefully a big teaser for this season.

The type of program that was shown last night seems to be more something that would be shown at midnight on DCEN Classic :)

what say you?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they've already shown the Top 12 twice (in their entirety in August and in pieces on PBS), plus the behind the scenes stuff on PBS, so I was cool with this format.

As one of those people who wasn't born when 2/3 of the shows happened (born in '81), I loved seeing ALL of them.

I can see your point, Flea.. but by the same token, DCI has taken some serious heat in the past few years for "alienating the legacy fans." -- That's not to say I agree with that assessment.. but it's something they're commonly and often accused of.. I thought this was an unique opportunity to bring fans from all eras together.. to cheer.. and watch.. and interact with each other..

I thought it was most interesting to note tonight that the people in attendance in Lincolnshire were mostly adults from recent age-out through elderly status. Very few seemed young enough to be marching right now. Not only that.. but there were at least a few in our theater who had NEVER seen drum corps before.. they are regulars at the theater and thought this would be interesting.. and seemed to enjoy it!

So couple the attendance demographic with the shows played in chronological order and I think it gave newer people a chance to understand the process of evolution that drum corps has been through.. and it gives older people a chance to understand exactly HOW drum corps has evolved -- without laying "blame" or anything like that. I didn't see one person walk out after each decade.. so I guess it was compelling enough to stay and watch, huh?

:)

Hope you had as much fun tonight as I did!

Stef

We had a lot of band-age members in attendance in our theater in Las Vegas (quite the packed house!), and I did hear several of them comment positively on the earlier shows. I specifically heard "Cool" and "awesome" during Spirit.

Add to all of this the fact that much of the music from the earlier corps was very accessable and/or well-known, which makes it easier for us young'uns to stay focused on it.

To me, it seems like it would be easier for the young people to pay attention to older corps than it would for an older person to try to get back into drum corps by listening to stuff like Phantom 1996, Cadets 2000, and Cavaliers 2002 (just the examples from the Countdown).

if this thing was a big success, then I will happily stand corrected :)

Sorry I didn't get to see it tonight, I'm dealing with finals at the moment (the bad kind of finals, not the august kind :( )

and of course I appreciate how much many of the people here enjoyed the format and presentation

now, when is our espn coverage coming? :)

the cinema i was at was relativly quiet the whole night... though in order... the most response came from

SCV

27th

Star

Cavaliers

VK

Kingsmen

Phantom

Spirit

Cadets

BD

Madison

boston

It was sold out in Portland, Oregon. It seemed to be about half n half as far as current memebrs vs vets. I for one enjoyed the old shows form the 70's and 80's, many of which I have never seen before (Oh Georga on my mind......)

Snowcone - Corps Nerd who si so happy

if this thing was a big success, then I will happily stand corrected :)

You mean you started this thread and you didn't even GO to the event?!?! :blink:

Bad idea on your part me thinks