The loudest hornline you have ever heard

Yes, but everything is asked and answered about every 3 to 6 months so don't worry!

My answer hasn't changed in 25 years - 1980 Spirit of Atlanta

Same Here!

Had the pleasure of sitting in front of that arc during rehearsal once-My ears are STILL ringing!!! :blink:

Madison 75 would be a very close second however, along with some of those KILLER Argonne Lines of the early 70's

Edited by Bob Brady

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also going to go with 79-80 Spirit of Atlanta. As I recall, they used to place a sign near the drum major's podium that said something to the effect of: WARNING -- Ear protection needed beyond this point.

Edited by ChicagoFan

Uncle Darren:

80 Spirit had the ENTIRE package: balance, blend, tonal quality AND decibel level! They would literally move you backwards with that wall of incredible sound! It was a beautiful thing!

I didn't get to hear them live at Finals...I can only IMAGINE what that was like in person.

Same Here!

Had the pleasure of sitting in front of that arc during rehearsal once-My ears are STILL ringing!!! :blink:

Madison 75 would be a very close second however, along with some of those KILLER Argonne Lines of the early 70's

In no particular order, my top three are:

1975 Madison Scouts

1979-80 Spirit of Atlanta

1996 Phantom Regiment

These all made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!!!!

It was almost better than, well.....you know!!!! I said ALMOST!!!! b**bs b**bs

Off the top of my head, several examples, the first two from shows at Giants Stadium in the NJ Meadowlands:

1995 Madison Scouts..... that final power push in "Malaga" almost literally pinned me to the wall. (I was doing the PA announcing for the show, sitting at field level)...... holy mackerel!!!!!

1990 Phantom Regiment..... during the clinic they gave at Giants Stadium prior to the contest that night. Again, I had a field-level vantage point. WOW. After one massive brass impact, a guy sitting in the first few rows of seats said, "someone answer the phone that's ringing!!!!"

A "sleeper" pick: 1980 Phantom Regiment at DCI Finals, the final push in "Carmen." Seriously loud stuff, with the lower brass absolutely on fire!!!!

On the DCA side:

Sunrisers' hornline in 1983, especially the baritone line. 10 baris that sounded more like 30 that year.

Sunrisers in 1978, the final push in the "Evergreen" finale. An extended bit of LOUD playing!!!!!

(OK...I know i'm a bit biased here with the Sun choices!!!!)

NY Skyliners, most any year, but especially the early to mid-1970's. Those guys could really bring the heat!!!!

Fran