The loudest hornline you have ever heard

I'm sure this question has been asked before but hey, I'm a new guy here and I just don't feel like digging it out of the archives.

So.....what was the loudest hornline you have ever heard (not counting a hornline you were in but one YOU HEARD!)?

For me, it was the 1988 Blue Devils and one particular moment sticks out for me the most. Glenwood Springs Co. Blue Devils stayed at the same school as us (Freelancers). These guys took the whole day off and kicked it watching us sweat in the sun (just like them to do that which is one of many reasons I eventually went there hahahahaha). So 8:00PM rolls around, we do a run through then BD decides to do a music run and then a marching block in the COOL of the night (smart).

So I go up to watch their music run which they did in their surround sound victory ark (sopranos split on each end of the ark). Now mind you, this small stadium with METAL STANDS had no track. So they were literally only about 20 feet from you EVEN IF YOU WERE IN THE BACK because the stands did not go very high.

MAN!!!! It was so loud it was PAINFULL! I seriously wanted to PLUG my ears because it literally HURT but did not want to give BD the satisfaction of thinking they were actually that loud (typical huh? Well if you can't beat em join em and I did of course). That is a moment I will never forget and to this day I have not heard one hornline beit drum corps or some sort of band that have been that loud. I suppose there is a possibility it has been matched and maybe even beaten (probably late 70s early 80s Spirit) but I personally have never heard anything quite that loud.

Any others?

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

83 Phantom. Most horns ever on a field as a corps.

But that same year, the horn lines of PR, SCV, and Madison all lined up end zone to end zone and played a tune. While I dunno if it were the loudest, it was definitely the most beautiful hornline I'd ever heard.

I'm sure this question has been asked before but hey, I'm a new guy here and I just don't feel like digging it out of the archives.

Any others?

Yes, but everything is asked and answered about every 3 to 6 months so don't worry!

My answer hasn't changed in 25 years - 1980 Spirit of Atlanta

Edited by LancerFi

Yes, but everything is asked and answered about every 3 to 6 months so don't worry!

May answer hasn't changed in 25 years - 1980 Spirit of Atlanta

Nancy, before I read your post, just when I saw your name as the last response I KNEW being someone who marched in 80 that Spirit would be your answer. Oh what I would be willing to give to be able to get in a time capsul and hear that hornline live. I know it had to be something.

The loudest I've heard live would have to be '83 Phantom.

From what all I've read and heard talk of, what I would've given to have heard '80 Spirit, live.

Madison Scouts - 1975.

Although.....Argonne Rebels...hmmmmm

My answer hasn't changed in 25 years - 1980 Spirit of Atlanta

Especially at 1980 Nationals retreat. When they played exiting the field, I swear I saw the stands move back 10 feet. AWESOME !!!! and I was there :blink:

Yes Argonne Rebels, 80 Spirit of Atlanta and 83 PR but I remember the 1973 PR had a whale of a loud horn line too.

When someone says loudest hornline ever, I usually don't associate that with....ummmm, championship level performances. '88 Devils is perhaps my favorite show ever, but IMO, that wasn't a "loud" hornline. It had balance, blend, good TQI, style....it was just right, no more no less. '88 Devils were the best corps never to win...again, my opinion.

When I think loudest hornline ever, I think of a group that just let 'er rip and didn't really care about anything other than the impact (didn't mean it was bad, it was the impact they were going for). Good impact comes from the baritone section (again, my opinion) so whoever had the loudest hornline had a GREAT baritone section. '87 SCV comes to mind. '89 Star of Indiana (did anyone write better impacts than Jim Prime?). '91 Bluecoats. '88 Madison. '84 & '85 Spirit (although, that corps had sops!).

That's a hard question to pin down. Like trying to nail jello to the wall.

DW

Edited by 93Bluecoat