The loudest hornline you have ever heard

On the DCA side:

Sunrisers' hornline in 1983, especially the baritone line. 10 baris that sounded more like 30 that year.

(OK...I know i'm a bit biased here with the Sun choices!!!!)

NY Skyliners, most any year, but especially the early to mid-1970's. Those guys could really bring the heat!!!!

Fran

Sunrisers,1983 from the podium....ears still ringing

(and yes,I'm a bit biased, also)

And I'd agree with NY Skyliners, most ANY year...

Tony B)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first line that comes to mind is 1996 BD. Hearing that line in the arc in a victory concert....wow... It was the only time that I actually had the "fight or flight" panic feeling listening to music. Not my favorite BD show ..but ####..it was loud!

The next line that comes to mind is my guys in 2001. I'd rank that line as the loudest Scout line (including 95) that I've heard in person. In fact, it was certainly top heavy but I'd say that was one of the most talented hornlines in the activity that year.

Another line which I just really remember ( esp. the Baritones ) was 1990 SCV. Their victory concert @ DCI South was pretty darn amazing!

The 95 Scouts ( which has been talked and talked about ) is another hornline that could put some air through their horns..while hauling butt!!

other notables:

1991 Freelancers-specifically their prelim performance @ DCI Canada

1992 BD in the arc @ the Charlotte, NC show

1999 Scouts

1990 Coats

1995 Regiment ( a personal fav or mine ) in Winston Salem, NC

CM

In 1980 I taught a 20th something place corps, but was hitching a ride back to Revere with 27th. I stood on the track as the corps were playing themselves off, and Spirit knocked me on my keester!!!

Also, 1994 July 4 parade in RI a bunch of us alumni watched BD warm up. Just playing exercises, they took LOUD to a new level.

75 Madison was the first time I ever got an ear bleed (and that's a good thing!)

Whatever the "gangsta" year was for BD (1996? Orlando) their semi-finals opening statement blew the stands back!

Trivia: Avant Garde did an indoor (rainout) performance in Watkins Glen in 1981 where the brass and percussion judges gave taped evaluations. The brass judge said "Sorry, you guys are too loud. I'm turning off the recorder". That was after the opening statement of "When the Angels Sing". Dan Panessa was screaming "A thousand horns!!!!!"

Edited by 27mello

Especially at 1980 Nationals retreat. When they played exiting the field, I swear I saw the stands move back 10 feet. AWESOME !!!! and I was there  :blink:

Obviously we were behind them but man it sure sounded like they were playing at us. Didn't they break ranks on the way out and run up to the fence and blow the house down at the end of Let It Be Me? I wish I could have been at that fence, not just for the sheer power but but to see the emotions on those kids' faces due the events of that year.

I heard 80 Spirit at Finals when I was seven. I think my ears bled.

I heard 90 Star in the same stadium ten years later. They bled again.

BD and Madison 95, PR 93, Glassmen 99-- yeah-- they sounded a lot like PR that year.

Obviously we were behind them but man it sure sounded like they were playing at us.  Didn't they break ranks on the way out and run up to the fence and blow the house down at the end of Let It Be Me?  I wish I could have been at that fence, not just for the sheer power but but to see the emotions on those kids' faces due the events of that year.

I was in the stands. That was one of the truly "Great Moments In Drum Corps"!! :worthy:

How about 75 Madison, boy did they rock in 1975 at Boston College, also, Spirit of Atlanta was awesome.

Also thinking back about some of the Senior Corps, you have to add 1963 New York Skyliners at Roosevelt Stadium during the Dream, and also the Conn. Hurcs at the 1967 Amer. Legion at Fenway Park. Generro had them cooking that night.

The next night in the parade through Boston, they really turned it on.

Also, I remember being on the ready line and with "The Princemen" and had Hawthorne on the starting line playing Espani Cani, the ground shook!

What an experiance.

For me it was 1974 Madison. They definitely held the volume bar in the mid 70's. One of the most dominant melody/impact horn lines of all time and you could tell they were having a good time! :worthy:

Edited by Geneva

DCA side Renegades how can they not be on this list?

Sorry Leo,

I took the question as,The loudest hornline "you" have ever heard....(I've not "heard" the Renegades,Cal. not Mass.)

I've been away from Drum Corps for about 20 years...

Tony B)