The loudest hornline you have ever heard

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Leo,

I took the question as,The loudest hornline "you" have ever heard....(I've not "heard" the Renegades,Cal. not Mass.)

I've been away from Drum Corps for about 20 years...

Tony  B)

If you get the chance to see them a DCA's you will hear what I mean. Nothing to be sorry about I was just noticing that they were nowhere in this thred.

1974 Kingsmen for as small as that line was they were REALLY LOUD :worthy:

1997 Phantom Regiment.

Not biased at all.

One of the truly loud lines in DCI history. It helped that you guys were staged to the front to open the show.

...and those sops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this is a biased response but 1978 Bridgemen had a very powerful  hornline. If you get a chance take a listen, you won't be disappointed.

75 Madison AND 75 SKYLINERS!!!  Any doubts just listen to DCA Finals.  Nuff Said.

Kemo

I agree on both! Blue Devils have come close in a number of years.

I did hear the Renengades at DCA's last year. They would also be a very close 2nd to the 75 Skyliners (even tough I marched Sky in 81, we blew the roof off at DCA's in Philly that year). B)

I agree on both!  Blue Devils have come close in a number of years. 

I did hear the Renengades at DCA's last year.  They would also be a very close 2nd to the 75 Skyliners (even tough I marched Sky in 81, we blew the roof off at DCA's in Philly that year).   B)

Yes you did Romeo!!! :worthy: Hear from Peanut lately?

That being said, I'll now add my two cents. It was 1978 @ Virginia Beach. I was sitting about twelve rows up on the forty. Spirit of Atlanta takes the field and by the time they are half way through their OTL, I am pushed all the way to the top of the stadium and I begin to loose my hair and my ears are bleeding. Believe me, I have heard just about every one of the corps that has been described hear in this thread, and kudos to them all, but NONE of them in my opinion came close to that hornline

Edited by BariBrian

Yes you did Romeo!!! :worthy:  Hear from Peanut lately?

That being said, I'll now add my two cents.  It was 1978 @ Virginia Beach. I was sitting about twelve rows up on the forty. Spirit of Atlanta takes the field and by the time they are half way through their OTL, I am pushed all the way to the top of the stadium and I begin to loose my hair and my ears are bleeding. Believe me, I have heard just about every one of the corps that has been described hear in this thread, and kudos to them all, but NONE of them in my opinion came close to that hornline

I'll second that !! B)

In 1980 I taught a 20th something place corps, but was hitching a ride back to Revere with 27th.  I stood on the track as the corps were playing themselves off, and Spirit knocked me on my keester!!!

Also, 1994 July 4 parade in RI a bunch of us alumni watched BD warm up.  Just playing exercises, they took LOUD to a new level.

75 Madison was the first time I ever got an ear bleed (and that's a good thing!)

Whatever the "gangsta" year was for BD (1996? Orlando) their semi-finals opening statement blew the stands back!

Trivia: Avant Garde did an indoor (rainout) performance in Watkins Glen in 1981 where the brass and percussion judges gave taped evaluations.  The brass judge said "Sorry, you guys are too loud.  I'm turning off the recorder".  That was after the opening statement of "When the Angels Sing".  Dan Panessa was screaming "A thousand horns!!!!!"

27mello, Might I ask what section of AG were you ? I was with AG that year in a non perfroming status and remember that happened. Avant Gardes Hornline that year, was indeed extremely loud, Especialy at the end of "You've lost that lovin feelin"

Edited by BariBrian

:worthy: This is my first post.. GREAT SITE..

Now to the point... I have to say 79 & 80 Spirit were the loudest

hornlines I heard in my marching days.

But when I was a kid, my older brother was a lead baritone

with The Marion Cadets and their hornline in 69 & 70 were

pretty dang loud, but then again I was 4 or 5 years old...

so take that for what its worth.