Evansville IN Review

Excellent writing Matt! The sign of a great writer is someone who can actually make you feel like you were there by what you are describing, and you did that. It was also informative and humorus. I enjoyed it all. I would've like to see your take on Memphis Sound though...oh well. :)

It was straight to the point and offered some great objective criticism as well.

I see I have my work cut out for me for the DCI Orlando show... :P :)

Great job.. :worthy:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that had been posted prior to the show being performed the first time.  The entire concept makes so much more sense right now.  That explanation got me to a point where I am looking forward to the show again because the disjointedness is intentional and IS the story.

But if a walkthrough document is needed to follow the program, then what's the point? :worthy: Hopefully, as they complete and refine, it will stand on it's own.

Perhaps I erred in NOT leaning on Jeff and Marc to get this all done.

I wanted to let those with the talent have the space to grow but --

40 seconds of standing, no uniforms and a lacking story ...

that's 3 points on a bad day!

I should have been more aggressive.

Should have, would have, could have.

But, I did not.

Yep.

This is a good question but a hard one to answer.  The Bluecoats show is good to this point, but it's far far far from complete.  Yes, they have all the sets on the field but so much of the show has yet to be put on the field.  Ombra (middle section) is a shell right now.  Closer was just put on in the last week and is still quite dirty.

Cadets have so much that's not on the field that you really can't tell if the show is going to work or not.  There's some good moments in the show, but from all accounts (I've only seen them a couple of times), the show is disjunct and from what the judges are saying, not as musical as the 'Coats. 

Doesn't mean at the end of the year the Cadets will be ahead of the Bluecoats or vice versa.  I think many are banking on the fact that when the Cadets put 10 more sets on the field it's going to create this 3-5 point spread between them and the 'Coats and I don't think that's going to happen.  Especially when we see the 'Coats finish the best part of their color guard book (Ombra) and fill in some of the many "gaps" left in their show.

Did I answer any questions or talk in circles?  I do that from time to time.

DW

My take:

If Blue is going to beat Cadets, it'll have to happen Wednesday night, because looking at the schedule, it doesn't look like the two corps see each other again until San Antonio, by which time Cadets presumably have their show finished.

Bluecoats show did have a sense of being "done" initially, but after thinking on it a while, I recognized that there was some room for growth in areas. Cadets have a LOT more room to grow than Bluecoats do, at this point. Question is, who will put the best amount of growth into their show the fastest?

Keep in mind, the JUDGES aren't used to seeing Bluecoats this good this early either.

best review..... EVER!

i really loved your objective yet engaging descriptions of the shows...

i think you need to go write more reviews...  maybe DCI.org would have a position for that?...

good job!

Would that involve them paying me to go to shows? If so, sign me up! :worthy:

Don't know if I could be as concise as they'd like, though.

Very nice review. I'm going to have to start paying more attention.

If Blue is going to beat Cadets, it'll have to happen Wednesday night, because looking at the schedule, it doesn't look like the two corps see each other again until San Antonio, by which time Cadets presumably have their show finished.

Actually, they have two shots over the next week. One is on Wednesday in Fort Mill, and the other is at DCI Orlando on Saturday. I'm betting DCI may save the Bluecoats passing Cadets for Saturday at their major event.

[sarcasm]

I mean c'mon... it makes more sense for them to bring about more drama, suspense, and gossip to talk about after that major show since more people will ultimately be in attendance paying $30 bucks a head, right? Ticket sales will skyrocket from there... and DCI wins out and increases their profit margins.

[/sarcasm]

*rolls eyes*

.... oh wait, that was supposed to be sarcastic?  :worthy:

My bad.

Edited by IMcomguy

Actually, they have two shots over the next week. One is on Wednesday in Fort Mill, and the other is at DCI Orlando on Saturday. I'm betting DCI may save the Bluecoats passing Cadets for Saturday at their major event.

[sarcasm]

I mean c'mon... it makes more sense for them to bring about more drama, suspense, and gossip to talk about after that major show since more people will ultimately be in attendance paying $30 bucks a head, right? Ticket sales will skyrocket from there... and DCI wins out and increases their profit margins.

[/sarcasm]

*rolls eyes*

I must have overlooked the Orlando show while I was going over the schedule at 3 in the morning.

Personally, I don't buy the "scripting" theory. This is DCI, not WWE.

I must have overlooked the Orlando show while I was going over the schedule at 3 in the morning.

Personally, I don't buy the "scripting" theory. This is DCI, not WWE.

Wouldn't it be funny though? :worthy:

I still see this as the prophecy for this week.. Saturday, Bluecoats make history over The Cadets of Pennsylvania... oops I mean of YEA.org, or wait, Sponsored by YEA, there we go. I personally thought the Bluecoats were far and above the Cadets at the Lisle show, what an amazing performance they had! I guess going on 4th from the end didn't help that much.

Don't get me wrong, I am seriously the biggest Cadets fan on the planet, but the Coats were simply the better corps that night. I get the feeling the Cadets have been bitten by the BOA bug this year. <**>