Evansville IN Review

Don't get me wrong, I am seriously the biggest Cadets fan on the planet, but the Coats were simply the better corps that night. I get the feeling the Cadets have been bitten by the BOA bug this year.  <**>

This year? :P

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question to you is...if you visualize ahead and think of the changes with each show that need to take place (and assume that both corps make those changes), who do you see being ahead at the end of the year? In other words, do The Cadets have the better show but just lack the technical aspects to really be considered a winner, or do you think The Bluecoats have the better show and it really is just a matter of time before they overtake The Cadets in a more long-term sense for this year?

I don't have a specific answer in mind because I haven't seen either show and haven't heard one of them, but I am curious what someone who HAS seen them thinks...

I think the Cadets have so much more in their show already than the bluecoats do, they are just not executing as well as coats. I saw the two go back to back last friday in pittsburgh and the differences in the corps were noticeable. I dont know much about perc and guard, although I could tell that coats guard is very good, but I could immediately hear a difference in the clarity and balance from each corps' hornlines. The Cadets just have a much more mature sound. I think that coats could pass Cadets by saturday if the Cadets cant get anymore of the show done, but after that, I really cant see what the bluecoats have on the field beating Cadets in August. Just my thoughts..........

My question to you is...if you visualize ahead and think of the changes with each show that need to take place (and assume that both corps make those changes), who do you see being ahead at the end of the year? In other words, do The Cadets have the better show but just lack the technical aspects to really be considered a winner, or do you think The Bluecoats have the better show and it really is just a matter of time before they overtake The Cadets in a more long-term sense for this year?

I don't have a specific answer in mind because I haven't seen either show and haven't heard one of them, but I am curious what someone who HAS seen them thinks...

I think the Cadets have so much more in their show already than the bluecoats do, they are just not executing as well as coats. I saw the two go back to back last friday in pittsburgh and the differences in the corps were noticeable. I dont know much about perc and guard, although I could tell that coats guard is very good, but I could immediately hear a difference in the clarity and balance from each corps' hornlines. The Cadets just have a much more mature sound. I think that coats could pass Cadets by saturday if the Cadets cant get anymore of the show done, but after that, I really cant see what the bluecoats have on the field beating Cadets in August. Just my thoughts..........

I'll respectfully disagree. The Cadets (right now) do not have more in their show (from a content standpoint: musically or GE...maybe visually) and when it's all said and done I think the Bluecoats are going to have a much deeper program. The Cadets do have a very mature sound, and a book that is unquestionably the hardest in the activity. The proof still remains to be seen if they can make this disjunct show gel into something good. History is on their side.....

DW

(the catholic schoolgirls)

:worthy:

Uhhhh....I....uhhhh....but....I...uhhh....

:silly:

Sorry.

It's all I got out of the review.

:P

:worthy:

Uhhhh....I....uhhhh....but....I...uhhh....

:silly:

Sorry.

It's all I got out of the review.

:P

Ryan, I have to agree with you my friend. Have you seen her yet? Strong. Real strong, that's all I've got to say.

DW

[sarcasm]

I mean c'mon... it makes more sense for them to bring about more drama, suspense, and gossip to talk about after that major show since more people will ultimately be in attendance paying $30 bucks a head, right? Ticket sales will skyrocket from there... and DCI wins out and increases their profit margins.

[/sarcasm]

*rolls eyes*

If that were true, Glassmen would have beat Crossmen at DCI South in Nashville instead of at the Kings Mills, Ohio, show earlier in the week back in 1994...

So...did anyone see Memphis Sound in Evansville...? :worthy:

I went to the show in Evansville IN tonight, and have a review of the event.

Rick and I went to this show, but we just got back last night from our trip visiting with my family in Evansville, so this is my first opportunity to check in.

First off, fantastic review, Matt! You covered all the bases, with lots more detail than I could offer, and so there's very little I can add.

Just some basic impressions: Glassmen and Bluecoats were our favorite corps . . . and I can't recall being able to say that about Glassmen ever before! We enjoyed Cadets, and appreciated the complexity of their show, but it didn't have the same emotional impact on us as either Glassmen or Bluecoats.

I was eager to see Cadets' front/back uni after reading about it here on DCP. I thought I'd either love it or hate it. Turned out it was neither. When a corps uses something like that for effect, I expect to see it go "Bam!" with changes in drill sets (much like Crossmen's capes from years ago). Instead, it was just sort of there, with no real visual impact either way. So, IMO, unless they can figure out a way to feature it more prominently in the drill, it seems to be a "wasted" effect. Same with the schoolgirl Bjork characters (or, at least, I assumed they were supposed to be Bjork, given the dark wigs and the way they were styled). Rick and I spent way too much time focusing on them, trying to figure out what role they were supposed to be playing in the show, relative to the "Dancer in the Dark" film. We finally gave up. Having seen the film, and then watched this show, we expected a stronger tie-in to the film and its story (and Lord knows, there's a wealth of theatrical material to be mined there). But it looks like Cadets didn't head in that direction . . . or, if they did, we couldn't figure it out.

So really, we were spending an inordinate amount of time distracted by the characters and trying to figure out what the heck they were doing out there, when we should've been able to get more into the flow of the show.

The amped vocals were another distraction. Just when you're getting into all the great things the corps were doing musically, in breaks this amped rapping which was . . . well, just OK. Not awful, not great, but somewhere in between. Which means it didn't add a whole lot. IMO, the corps can do all that, and more, with the instrumentation they have; the voices are a jarring interruption.

I was also surprised at how relatively few people attended this show. Seems to me I read 4,000 in the paper, but I'm sure those stands were filled to capacity 10 years ago, when I last attended that drum corps show. So it was a bit disturbing to see so many empty seats.

The weather was gorgeous! I'm so happy the audience, and the corps, had a beautiful, mild night, and not what we got starting Wednesday: baked-in heat and humidity, and haze. (As hot and humid as it is here in southeastern Ontario, at least the haze isn't as bad as it was there. As we were driving yesterday, we noticed a big difference between Ohio and New York; not nearly as hazy in New York. At least, not yet.)

I'm not real wild about the new way of doing retreat, but I can understand the principle of it: giving corps more time to eat, wind down and get ready to travel to their next show. But it seems to shortchange those corps who do come onto the field to do a finale/encore performance. How do they pick the corps who do this? Is done on a rotating basis? Because obviously, if the same corps end up having to handle these responsibilities, then the principle for eliminating retreat is not being applied to them, and that's unfair.

It may sound like I didn't enjoy the show. I did . . . tremendously! But Matt covered most of the positives, so I was bringing up a few other points I recall.

Edited by byline

So...did anyone see Memphis Sound in Evansville...?  :rock:

I did. And now, of course, you're going to ask me to comment on their show. *sigh* If I'd done it a week ago, right after the show, I probably could've, but now, my memory is about as hazy as the weather we've been experiencing. I do remember enjoying them, but I just can't point out any specifics. Sorry!