Keep the Amps out of drum corps, part dos

"How does brass music, marching, guard work, or perscussion music make the shows better, enhancing not only the members experiences but the experiences of the audience as well?"

Heres the fact" Brass, and Percussion, along with colorgaurd are what the activity is based on. name anyshow from the inception of drum and bugle corps until the final performance of 2003 and you have your answer. Its not a new concept trying to beforced on an exisiting audience, your question hold no merit, no matter how you want to spin it.

Sadly, you and nobody else can give cold , hard facts as to why the need to implement singing, narration, and poetry reading, is so pressing to those in charge at DCI.

~G~

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres the fact" Brass, and Percussion, along with colorgaurd are what the activity is based on. name anyshow from the inception of drum and bugle corps until the final performance of 2003 and you have your answer. Its not a new concept trying to beforced on an exisiting audience, your question hold no merit, no matter how you want to spin it.

Up to the mid 70's...

The same thing could have been said about the use of mallet instruments.

Or moving from valve/rotor to two-valve horns...

Or permitting corps to start and end anywhere they want on the field.

You can always say "up to year X we were fine without Y" about any change in the rules.

Sadly, you and nobody else can give cold , hard facts as to why the need to implement singing, narration, and poetry reading, is so pressing to those in charge at DCI.

~G~

Because the concept of "better" and "enhanced" is a purely subjective concept.

Some people might like a beautiful Monet painting while others prefer "Dogs Playing Poker". :)

Mike

In light of restarting the anti-amp petition, I have also reopened my CafePress.com webstore from last year. We have brought back many of last year's classic designs as well as added a couple new products for new generations of acoustic drum corps fans.

Click below, and happy shopping.

http://www.cafepress.com/noamps

do you see anywhere that we encourage people to boo or yell while the corps is on the field?

no you don't. remember, a s s u m e is 3 words in a phrase:

when you assume you make an ### out of you, not me

How am I assuming. It happend last year and unless you keep the pettion just on line your going to interupt me trying to go watch a good drum corp show by asking me to sign a pettion. It happened way too many times last year not to mention the yelling before certain corps. This was done by the same people who are posting on here now.

By the way thanks for the spelling lesson.

Guest DrumCorpFan
How am I assuming.  It happend last year and unless you keep the pettion just on line your going to interupt me trying to go watch a good drum corp show by asking me to sign a pettion. It happened way too many times last year not to mention the yelling before certain corps.  This was done by the same people who are posting on here now.

By the way thanks for the spelling lesson.

I did not resort to name calling, as you did. I did not resort to yelling at people, as you did to me. I was the only one collecting signatures in Denver and I interupted no one. Anyone who didn't want to sign was politely greeted with "enjoy the show." Anyone who said, "what if I like amps?" I responded politely with "then don't sign and enjoy the show." This was all done in public with all kinds of people witnessing. When I yelled to corps, I yelled compliments, i.e. "Unplug them, you're great without them." What's wrong with telling them that they are great even without amps? As you point out, I yelled before corps, NOT during their performance, unlike many others calling for their sons, daughters, girlfriends and boyfriends, etc. Did they ruin your experience? I don't see you posting about that. If you are going to make accusations about me, and we know that is what you are doing, then tell the truth. I know what integrity I brought while collecting signatures. Did I yell at you? No. Did I call you names? No. Do you remember what I said to you as you berated me and called me names? I do, and there were several witnesses. I said in a calm, polite voice, "you are entitled to your opinion." I don't see you admitting that you did the berating and the name calling here. Willing to confess the truth?

Edited by DrumCorpFan

I don't understand why it's so hard for those who are for these amps to let those whom are against them, to go on with their cause? Why does it bother you? You would want Petitions for other things that you felt has passionate about.

It's been established so many times that we are all doing this in a respectful manner.

I will have to vouch for David, I witnessed David in action in Denver. He never harassed anyone or bothered them. I wasn't able to collect as many as he was there but I did direct people where to go to sign it. If they didn't agree, okay then "have a nice day". I know David, personally and I know he would never do anything disrespectful like some are accusing him here. He was a 27th Lancer and Madison Scout. I am sure the qualities he learned with these corps are still instilled into him to this day.

Also, I never interrupted at any show, I would either simply leave and come back when the offending part was on and come back when it was over. So you can't put those of us who post here in the same category as those whom offended you. I know those of us whom are passionate about this, we all marched or are long time fans. We know how to act and we have the qualities instilled in us of those drum and bugle corps we marched many years in. So please...I am not buying this.

Edited by Lancerlady

As a related note:

I've tried to remain somewhat on the sidelines regarding what I've seen posted around the web and on DCP. However, the Bluecoats web forum in the past 24 hours has been extremely disrespectful to Matt.

Bluecoats Board of Directors member "Uncle Darren" first insulted Matt's petition as "the work of a high schooler" and presumed that Matt was telling the Bluecoats design team "how to run their program"... and then the thread was deleted from the Bluecoats website forum.

It speaks a great deal about an organization when those who run it feel the need to belittle some of the same fans who have supported you through the years by buying T-Shirts, CD's, sponsorships for members, etc.

Matthew Briddel has been nothing but professional throughout the two years this petition has been on-line. Interviews in DCW, his website and all that he's used in his own representation of his stance have been respectful and cordial.

Is the peition a futile gesture? Probably so.

However, a dissenting view should always be respected if presented in a thoughful manner, and I must register my dissapointment with "Uncle Darren", the Bluecoats web forum and by extension, the entire Bluecoats organization.