Keep the Amps out of drum corps, part dos

Changes roll themselves out over time...it's always been that way.

I don't follow you when you say "roll themselves out", could you please clarify?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that G was lodging a personal attack against you either.

see if I ever stick up for YOU again! :P

I think he was just seeing what I have been seeing at shows all along. This idea of kids buying more DCI products then the Legacy fans, I don't buy that. :)

I never said one-for-one that kids buy more...IMO the totality of the kids who attend by the busloads who each buy some stuff equals or surpasses the relatively few legacy fans who talk about how they want to stop buying stuff.

Mike

you wouldn't believe how much ridicule I got for spending my money from Christmas (200 dollars) on the 2004 top12, 13-24, and CD set.

I also buy buy Tour dvd's, legacy sets, and Corps merchandise with every dollar I earn.

I have been a fan for just about a year (don't bash me) and I think I have managed to buy about 400 dollars for drum corps.. Just on T-shirts, DVD's/VHS, and CD's.

~>conner

Okay, good. I hope for their sakes that you keep putting up that 400 bucks every year.

Here goes:

"How does singing, poetry, reading, and narration make the shows better, enhancing not only the members experiences but the experiences of the audience as well. "

Not opinions, but cold hard stat filled fact.

~G~

Ha, aren't you clever? Not opinions, but facts, eh? Well, let's try it your way, then.

"How does brass music, marching, guard work, or perscussion music make the shows better, enhancing not only the members experiences but the experiences of the audience as well?"

Remember, you can only respond with "cold hard stat filled fact". Ready? Go!

Okay, good.  I hope for their sakes that you keep putting up that 400 bucks every year.

I doubt it.. my parents are still taking in how much a corps cost to march in.

~>conner

Ha, aren't you clever?  Not opinions, but facts, eh?  Well, let's try it your way, then.

"How does brass music, marching, guard work, or perscussion music make the shows better, enhancing not only the members experiences but the experiences of the audience as well?"

Remember, you can only respond with "cold hard stat filled fact".  Ready?  Go!

So, apparently you couldn't come up with an answer so you come back with another question? Is that how the game is played?

My point is, the question has no answer. There's no "stat-filled" fact that would support having a drumline either, or even participating in the drum corps experience. In fact, looking at the rate of folding for corps throughout the decade, the facts would seem to be against even creating a corps in the first place! Yet we continue to do so, because we enjoy it. In the end that's the only justification we're going to have for why we march in a corps. You can't support your decision to march with "stat-filled fact", nor the decision to pay for the best hornline, drumline or guard equipment. It's rather silly, then, to think that there would be a "stat-filled fact" to support the use of amplification.

see if I ever stick up for YOU again!  :P

I never said one-for-one that kids buy more...IMO the totality of the kids who attend by the busloads who each buy some stuff equals or surpasses the relatively few legacy fans who talk about how they want to stop buying stuff.

Mike

I still love ya Mike! :) :P

I don't know, I wish we had some kind of stats from DCI merchandising, I wonder who would be able to truly verify this, I think possibly the Legacy fans who have been around buy more, to support the activity more.

That's just My personal opinion. But I can see your point of view on it as well.

So, apparently you couldn't come up with an answer so you come back with another question? Is that how the game is played?

Good point, I'll get it. According to NSF Grant No. 1137-98b (Smith, Benning, et al 2002), amplification has increased the effectiveness of drum corps expressivity (as a function in 5 dimensional space of money, time, feet-per-second, pandas, and crayons) by an estimated 3.67% with a margin of error of plus or minus .1%. Pants, on the other hand, are responsible for only 3.52%. These numbers are roughly equivalant, but even with a generous margin of error (accurate to 3 standard deviations from the mean), it is reasonably simple to conclude that amplification is more important to the activity than pants.

It should be pointed out that when G says something he thinks is smart, it's probably more fruitful to just ignore him, but I couldn't help myself.

I don't agree with him, but at least Mike makes valuable contributions to this discussion....

You on the other hand... <**>