What are the most difficult pieces of music

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For runs and notes, gotta go with '83 Madison Colas Breugnon (or however you spell that...)

One SOB of a tune.  Wish I'd been there! (except that I was 13 :-))

Now there's a sweet chart! I haven't thought of it as too difficult, but I love to play it every chance I get.

What about the finale from Tchaikovski's 4th in F? I can't remember who did that one, but it's a toughy with all the descending scales changing at the end almost every time.

hmm... well, for 1997 cadets, yes probably some of the most notes ever in a show, but most of the most technical passages were done standing still. Not tyring to open that can of worms, cuz everyone does it... but considering difficulty in a show, I'd put '99 cadets over '97... I might be smokin' something but I always thought the 1999 show was technically difficult, especially the end.

I'd put 1991 Star, of course... and 1993 Star as being the tops in my book.

Also, I'd put Cavaliers 2003 (how many people are gonna criticize me for this one). :worthy: ...of course, we're talkin' sheer difficulty and that show had some seriously exposed moments that amazed me how well they pulled it off. :worthy: ....and I'd round out my list with 1999 SCV and 2000 Cavaliers.

Not sure how to judge difficulty of a show I never marched, but from what I've seen and heard, that's my short list... B)

What? No one has mentioned 1812 Overture 83/84 Phantom? That is hard to play on the French horn sitting down much less marching. :)

I'd also go with Crown Imperial-27th Lancers; Seahawk-27th Lancers English Folk song suite-27th Lancers

I agree with the poster who said anything any corps played Don Ellis' music, I personally didn't care for the 93 BD as much as what 27 did with it but also including Strawberry Soup-Madison :).

Edited by Lancerlady

Nice thread, but I honestly do not know how you can choose the one show that represented the hardest music ever. Very difficult to do. There are too many shows that have sported very demanding musical selections, and we have to consider technique of course, but also style, range, power, speed of the drill, control of body, tempo and tempo changes, meter changes, and much more. This is why those that attend symphony orchestra concerts do not talk about such things (who was the loudest? who has the hardest music? who's going to win? Who has the best show of all time?). They talk about the artistic elements, the cultural elements, the history of the music and the composer, the sounds, the styles, tempo, and the overall musicianship or the orchestra...even the conductor.

Here are some shows that I feel hit both excellent levels of artistry and demand.

Phantom Regiment - 1987 (high levels of demand in articulation, styles, power and control, and artistry), 89 (same as 1987, just better executed), 91, 93 (high level of demand in technique, artistry, control and style changes), 96 (high level of power and control, and artistry), 2003 (high level of technique, artsitry, and overall demand is on par with almost any show ever done), 2004

Blue Devils - 1979, 1982 (T.O. is a tough opener), 1984 (La Fiesta, incredible demand in range and technique), 1986, 1988 (maybe my personal favorite for best horn line of all time, high level of demand in technique and artistry), 1991, 1993 (tough charts, high level of technique), 1994, 1997 (high level of artistry), 1999, 2002 (high level of demand in technique, artistry, and styles), 2003

The Cadets - 1982, 1983 (high level of demand in technique, styles, and artistry), 1984, 1985 (high level of demand in technique and artsitry), 1987, 1990, 1993 (high level of technique), 1995 (very artistic show, high level of demand in styles), 1996, 1997 (perhaps the highest level of technique for a corps show, but not overall demand), 2000, 2001 (excellent horns).

Star of Indiana - 1988 (best porgy and bess to date), 1989, 1990 (very high artistry), 1991 (very high levels of demand, technique and artistry), 1992 (same as 1991), 1993 (very high in technique and artistry, and overall demand may be the best of any show).

I only throw these shows out there for now. Yes, Madison and SCV and Cavaliers have all had their share of challenging, demanding shows from a musical perspective. But when I truly consider demand, artistry, overall technique, control, power, and the arrangements themselves, I find that most of the best, and most challenging musical performances ever took place between these four corps. Just my opinons.

Jonathan

I would have to say that one of the most difficult if not THE most difficult pieces is "Rocky Point Holiday" by Ron Nelson. Difficult to play and difficult to march to. The Cadets played this in 1983.

I don't know how true to the original the adaptation to drum corps is (though I think it's pretty true to the original; I'll have to listen to it again) but in the original, the clarinet parts are "unplayable" according to my high school band director now at Rosemount (MN) High School. They are playing "Rocky Point Holiday" as their opener and I am certain that some of the parts will probably have to be re-written.

I played "Rocky Point Holiday" many years ago when I was with the Eden Prairie Community Band. Very demanding piece for a community band to play.

-Jon :)

Well, I can sing "Rocky Point Holiday," "Twelve Seconds to the Moon," and "Gavorkna Fanfare" (all have been performed by drum corps) and even though I have the hearing of a seventy-five year old (that is, without hearing aids--thanks to years of playing percussion and inadequate hearing protection or none at all though my audiologist said it might be congenital, too), I managed to get good grades in ear training and music theory (despite my hearing loss) when I was still a music major so maybe that's why I can sing that stuff. Plus, I have a very good memory and even stuff that "unhummable" and difficult to play sticks with me.

:worthy: