What are the most difficult pieces of music

It seems to me that playing a tune with a recognizable / sing-a-longable melody line has been difficult for quite some time B)

I recognize and hum a lot of what's played today, and have for quite some time. It is difficult to please fans who only want to hear what they know and/or love all the time. :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What pieces of music performed by corps do you consider to be the most difficult? This can reflect a whole show, certain songs performed, or even just certain sections of the corps(hornline, percussion, pit, mellophones,etc)

I'd have to go with 1993 Star and 1991 Star. Both years were incredible. :worthy:

The Cadets Holsinger years (92 and 93) are some of the most challenging in regards to how many notes they could put into the show (IMO).

Festive Overture has always been a very challenging piece of music (SCV 85 and PR 2001) and they pulled them both off nicely. And the Concerto for Orchestra that PR opened with in 2001 is one of the hardest pieces written for orchestra.

I agree about the Don Ellis music from BD 93. That was an amazing hornline that year...didn't they tie in brass performance with Star that year?

Spirit of JSU in 2003 opened with a piece called "Whirr Whirr Whirr." It is a tonguing fiasco - lots of double tonguing throughout the entire piece - and unlike Gavorkna Fanfare, it doesn't always stay on the same note in the consecutive sixteenth notes.

I also think that some of the hardest sections are the exposed sections...Madison 88 in the opener they had a fugue section in the middle of the piece and it would have been VERY obvious if even one person were to miss a note. Cavies had a fugue section in the 2004 show.

I thought Phantom's soprano licks in their 2004 show were very challenging (they sounded that way anyway). I wish they could have had more time to work on those and make them sound as effortless as the licks in Defiant Heart. That's one thing I love about listening to that show...it sounds like they have it in complete control and yet there's still a ton of emotion behind it.

And then there are Ballads, which can be the most difficult parts of the show...playing softly, in tune, and with a great sound is sometimes harder than pounding out sixteenth/32nd note runs. Phantom's Clair de Lune (94) would immediately get my vote for that as would Cantebury Chorale (Cadets 98).

I only throw these shows out there for now.  Yes, Madison and SCV and Cavaliers have all had their share of challenging, demanding shows from a musical perspective.  But when I truly consider demand, artistry, overall technique, control, power, and the arrangements themselves, I find that most of the best, and most challenging musical performances ever took place between these four corps.  Just my opinons.

I don't believe that we are talking about the best performances of difficult pieces of music; just the most challenging music in general. I think we can distinguish between the two in this particular topic. You are very correct in asserting that demand, techique, and are artistry are important. While 2004 SCV (not to pick on them), IMO, was not difficult musically, the staging, the hieght of the average corps member, and the stide required to march the show made the music that much more difficult to play. Needless to say there are many variables that can factor into demand, technique, and artistry.

That said, I could also say that Bartok's Dance Suite as played by the Freelancers in 91 was also difficult in that moving from E to F# in 16th notes was a terrible partial on the Kanstul 3 valve soprano. This would not have been a problem had we used Bb trumpets using the same written key, since the E to F# partial requires much less effort on the part of the player.

I found this one while browsing about the Season Pass...and I'm no brass player so I'm not sure if this one is actually hard or not.

But anyways, I was listening to VK 88...that "Zorba the Greek" they played as the opener has some pretty nice runs and double toungning in it done by the sops.

It sounded pretty hard to play IMO. But I'm no brass player, so can't trust me.

(The song was really awesome though; very bouncy :worthy: )

Anyone notice that the Cavies are not named anywhere?  Hmmm?

First, any corps that plays swing should be placed at the top. It's just plain more difficult that playing convert band literature. The other factor is the pace of the drill. I don't think there has ever been a corps that has had such phyiscal responsibilities than the 89 Vanguard. They were incredible. With this said I still think PH should have won. That was one of the most complete show in DC history.

a few shows immediately popped into my head when i read the subject...

first and foremost was Star 1990, followed by 91...nothing more needs to be said about these shows.

Also, SCV 2000...the entire show was just ungodly difficult.

Cadets 1997...the show that got me hooked on drum corps because of the WOW factor in what they were pulling off