What are the most difficult pieces of music

I am surprised that no one has mentioned it yet, so I will. 1983 Suncoast Sound's "Time Out"!! Wow, the rapid fire syncopated lines just blow my mind. Were they actually marching to that?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a brass perspective one of the most difficult things to pull off on the drum corps field is style of articulation. IMO, you have to give credit to any corps who has played jazz swing style. Bluecoats, Madison and BD stand out.

Check out Madison's 1999 LUPON

It's not just "Dah"

No, it's not... let's hear it for forced air and harsh articulation too!

No, it's not... let's hear it for forced air and harsh articulation too!

Lupon was '98, for the record.

I think musically, I'd hands down say Cadets '97, followed by BD '91 and '93. The control and finesse that both the Cadets and Star pulled off was incredible....especially so from the mellophones. Star '91-'93, as well as Cadets '95 (just as an example for them....'93 was another great show from a finesse standpoint), showcase this "lightness" perfectly.

As far as demand from an ensemble standpoint goes, I'd definitely say SCV '03. Namely the opener.

edit: sorry, quoted the wrong person.

Crossmen '02 definitely deserves to be mentioned as well. They did a GREAT job performing Heat of the Day.

Edited by Jared_mello

Star '91 and BD '91 are the hardest shows I've ever heard, bar none.

Other difficult ones off the top of my head:

'90 Star

'93 Star

'93 BD

'95 BD

'00 BD

'04 BD

'99 SCV

'00 SCV

'05 Cadets

Oh yeah, and I think I already said it in this thread, but I think a top contender for hardest piece of music to play would be Short Ride in a Fast Machine.

Edited by KingMargeret

Two that stand out to me are:

(1) '82 SCV and Capriccio Espagnole by Rimsky-Korakov. How the sops nailed that opening lick out of nowhere still baffles me!

(2) '79 Guardsmen and Fanfare for the New-- take a long listen and you'll hear all sorts of upper range work in the soprano line, and the tounging is incredible. Plus, this was in the era of "crappy" 2-valve horns and (GASP!) tic system (for our younger readers, this was back when corps had to hunt wild game for their tour food and cook it over open pits, using fires made by rubbing sticks together.) BD later did this tune in '87 but it was substantially watered down in comparion (IMO).

Edited by SCVAlumTofRGuy

Lupon was '98, for the record.

I think musically, I'd hands down say Cadets '97, followed by BD '91 and '93. The control and finesse that both the Cadets and Star pulled off was incredible....especially so from the mellophones. Star '91-'93, as well as Cadets '95 (just as an example for them....'93 was another great show from a finesse standpoint), showcase this "lightness" perfectly.

As far as demand from an ensemble standpoint goes, I'd definitely say SCV '03. Namely the opener.

edit: sorry, quoted the wrong person.

Crossmen '02 definitely deserves to be mentioned as well. They did a GREAT job performing Heat of the Day.

I stand corrected.