What does the crowd say on 1999 Cadets?

At 9:33 on the finals recording of 1999 Cadets, the crowd screams something but I can't tell what it is. Anyone know?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Bostonese :)

You saying "Jersey" isn't proper English? :P

"Whadda maneuvah!" was originally yelled during the opener of Cadets 1992 "To Tame the Perilous Skies," after the entire corps formed an airplane formation and rotated it about 45 degrees.

There was a tribute version in 93, during the closer.

And obviously in 99.

This is the story I have heard..............

Zingali yelled "What a Maneuver" to the corps in his very thick North Shore Boston accent during a rehersal. It was overheard by fans sitting in the stands. As a tribute, those same fans (Freelancers maybe?) yelled it at the 1992 show. It has been yelled throughout the years, and can be heard in many of the Cadets recordings......

Here is the true story of the "Whadda Manuva". I was a member of the Freelancers from 1989-1993. At the the 1990 show in the Meadowlands in New Jersey a fan watching the Cadets who was sitting near some of our members said "Whadda Manuva". Being that most of us wear from California we never heard an "Bostoneise" accent before. Needless to say the "Whadda Manuva" become a big joke on our bus ride that night. This become one of our favorite sayings throughout the rest of our season.

Now it leads us to finals week in 1990. Unfortunately for myself and the rest of the Freelancers that season we did not make finals in Buffalo. So the night of finals two members of the corps (one who was a rookie) decide that they wanted to be on the finals video and CD so they decided to yell "Whadda Manuva" during the Cadets show. That was the first yell of the "Whadda Manuva" on finals night.

The yell continues to happen periodically at finals when a bunch of the people get together at finals week. My age out year from Freelancers was 1993, and like 1990 we didn't make finals. But I did get myself on the 1993 Championship recording of Cadets because that was the one time I was part of the group who yelled the "Whadda Manuva".

It is actually cool too know that people have noticed that throughout the years. When I marched, the Cadets were always one of our favorite corps to watch throughout the season so the "Whadda Manuva" has never been meant as any form disrespect to the Cadets.

Whenever I get the Championship recordings of Cadets I always try to find the "Whadda Manuva" from some of my old Freelancer freinds. It is just one of those things that brings back the memories from when I marched.