The Anti-Narration BD Thread

Looks like more of the same "bash Hoppy" to me.

I'm sorry, but after scouring the whole post in question, I don't see Mr. Hopkins referred to at all. Where did you get that from?

Don't forget, the instructors have wanted amps for just about as long as Hoppy did.

At the risk of sounding rude....so what? The instructors are not the ones responsible for paying the bills and keeping the overall activity fair, practical and solvent. Looking closer, many of those instructors are career band directors. They probably like band, if that's their career choice. It's hardly surprising to find that they would want to change their summer hobby to resemble what they like. But that doesn't make it a wise course of action.

Drum corps has looked to the band world for instrumentation and 'hardware' for decades. Adding valves to horns, adding new horn voices like mellos and tubas, multi tenors, timpani, mallets, the rest of the percussion family. Amps are just another element of the hardware.

Wait a second - so you're contending that marching bands invented the mellophone? That bands had G/F piston-rotor bugles before drum corps did (or ever, for that matter)? Two-piston bugles? Show me the marching band that had multi-tenor drums in the mid-1960s, if it wasn't Boston's idea after all. Show me the marching bands that carried tymps before drum corps did. Mallets will be a tough one to research, as both corps and band had them before the advent of field recordings in the late 1940s.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but after scouring the whole post in question, I don't see Mr. Hopkins referred to at all.  Where did you get that from?

You are kidding, I hope....who else does this statement refer to...."One man hammered year after year after year until he finally got his way."

At the risk of sounding rude....so what?  The instructors are not the ones responsible for paying the bills and keeping the overall activity fair, practical and solvent.  Looking closer, many of those instructors are career band directors.  They probably like band, if that's their career choice.  It's hardly surprising to find that they would want to change their summer hobby to resemble what they like.  But that doesn't make it a wise course of action.

The post makes it seem like one single person wanted this...and it was far more than that. Absolutely, the directors are in charge. Finally, enough found merit in the idea that had already been supported by their staffs for years, to pass it.

You never know in advance whether something will work or not...in this case, it has...and very well...IMO, of course.

Wait a second - so you're contending that marching bands invented the mellophone?  That bands had G/F piston-rotor bugles before drum corps did (or ever, for that matter)?  Two-piston bugles?  Show me the marching band that had multi-tenor drums in the mid-1960s, if it wasn't Boston's idea after all.  Show me the marching bands that carried tymps before drum corps did.  Mallets will be a tough one to research, as both corps and band had them before the advent of field recordings in the late 1940s.

Note that I said 'band world', not 'marching band world'. Mellos were designed to emulate concert french horns. Other brass innovations like valves were slowly added over time to get to the point of being 3-valve just like band instruments. Contras were added to create the tuba sound.

Multi tenors were added to emulate toms, used on drum sets and in concert. I never said marching bands used them first.

Timpani and mallets...the same thing.

Mike

There is no comparison...saying Bush does X so why can't Crown (or whoever) do the same is an irrelevant comparison. Other corps choose to use a single voice for naration or, as Crown did, a few folks singing. There is a difference between that and an entire choir.

What Bush does is excellent, as Crown was last year.

Mike

A microphone is being used....I don't care what the human voice is doing with it...

They're using a mic...I don't care what they CHOOSE to do

If they want to CHOOSE to get my money and support, they better CHOOSE to knock off the human voice through the mic.

I heard nothing resembling excellence in Crown's use of the mics....singing, beat poetry....nope

stating that one man pushed for it year after year isn't bashing Mike, it's the truth.

sorry if the truth hurts. and Jason hit the nail on the head. plugging in is the easy way out

You are kidding, I hope....who else does this statement refer to...."One man hammered year after year after year until he finally got his way."

I was skimming through, looking for any reference to Hopkins by name, and didn't catch this sentence. You have a point. You may dismiss that sentence as "Hoppy-bashing". I guess only the other 33 sentences of Andrew's post make valid arguments, then. :blink:

Note that I said 'band world', not 'marching band world'.

Stretching.... s t r e t c h i n g . . . .

Mellos were designed to emulate concert french horns.

s t r e t c h i n g . . . . (-snap!-)

The French horn bugle was introduced in the early 1950s to emulate the voice of the concert French horn. Evidently, the mellophone, introduced a decade later, must have had a different purpose.

Other brass innovations like valves were slowly added over time to get to the point of being 3-valve just like band instruments.

Oh, now that's just dead wrong. When ratifying the two-piston bugle in 1976, the DCI board went on record as being permanently opposed to the three-valve bugle.

Contras were added to create the tuba sound.

To hear the sound of early contrabasses, you'd never believe that. :P

(But I know what you meant - acknowledged.)

Multi tenors were added to emulate toms, used on drum sets and in concert. I never said marching bands used them first.

Thanks for clarifying.

A microphone is being used....I don't care what the human voice is doing with it...

They're using a mic...I don't care what they CHOOSE to do

If they want to CHOOSE to get my money and support, they better CHOOSE to knock off the human voice through the mic.

Well, you like what you like. No quarrel there. For me, I choose to listen first and then decide whether I like something or not. That's how I do it, that's all.

I heard nothing resembling excellence in Crown's use of the mics....singing, beat poetry....nope

Your opinion...mine is different. No prob.

Mike

stating that one man pushed for it year after year isn't bashing Mike, it's the truth.

sorry if the truth hurts. and Jason hit the nail on the head. plugging in is the easy way out

Sorry, but it is, given the tone of the post...and the fact that the staffs had also wanted them for years. It was not JUST George pushing out of thin air without any support.

Mike

The French horn bugle was introduced in the early 1950s to emulate the voice of the concert French horn.  Evidently, the mellophone, introduced a decade later, must have had a different purpose.

Not really. the frenchie bugle was very difficult to play, and IMO sounded little like a concert french horn. The mellos large bell was intended to create a closer sound to a french horn.

Oh, now that's just dead wrong.  When ratifying the two-piston bugle in 1976, the DCI board went on record as being permanently opposed to the three-valve bugle.

It's an "over time" process...from no valves to 3-valves in any key. Never said it was instantaneous. But...looking at the evolution of drum corps brass from 1950 to 2000, it's clear the direction was towards concert instrumentation...IMO.

To hear the sound of early contrabasses, you'd never believe that.  :P

Awful things! Mellos could have used whatever was used to stuff up the early contras! :P

Mike

Sorry, but it is, given the tone of the post...and the fact that the staffs had also wanted them for years. It was not JUST George pushing out of thin air without any support.

Mike

we'll disagree. now if he had called Hop names, then that's bashing.

Guest DrumCorpFan

Mike

George has stated that his vision will remain the same despite any and all other opinions.