Anti Ampers Murfreesboro Guide?

Proof?  How about every major corps is using amps.  That's my proof.  If it were just a creative choice, then there would be a mix of amped and unamped corps from top to bottom.  This is not the case.  Hopkins' vision is that all corps would be using amps comfortably in three years.  Partly into the 2nd year, that vision is nearly complete.  You can bury your head in the sand, or you can look around and see the truth that is right in front of you.

Or maybe amps are just a good idea. Maybe most of the better corps are using them because they believe it's best not only for their corps but for all corps irrespective of how they voted in the past. Maybe having heard them last year and this, they now understand the potential and want to take advantage. Maybe they came to realize they were mistaken in their opposition to something so simple and useful.

HH

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, It looked like the only corps that didn't have amps were the ones that couldn't afford them.  With the exception of Glassmen.

My understanding is that the Troopers, along with continuing to play on G bugles, have stated they will not utilize the A&E option.

So for all you "traditionalists" ( :P )don't forget to stop by their souvie truck and help them on their way back up the competitive ladder!

Edited by RB Ripley

Or maybe amps are just a good idea. Maybe most of the better corps are using them because they believe it's best not only for their corps but for all corps irrespective of how they voted in the past. Maybe having heard them last year and this, they now understand the potential and want to take advantage. Maybe they came to realize they were mistaken in their opposition to something so simple and useful.

HH

Maybe they sounded better without them.

yeah it would seem Cavies pit proved that from 2000-2003

Isn't it interesting that the corps that placed in the top 8 used amps, uhmmm.  It seems it isn't hurting those corps much or at all.

They interviewed the judge in charge of training at the SA show. Dan Potter specifically asked the question about what would happen if the technology failed. The answer, basically, was you live and die by the technology. Judges should ONLY judge what they can hear. Seems like common sense, but I wondered about that. That came into play during the afternoon show when one corps narration was totally muddled.

I'll be honest. I am anti-amps, but I could deal with some pit amplification. For me, the test is "will I hear an instrument that really adds to the show which I wouldn't otherwise hear?" The reason I remain against amplification is because so very few corps do it well. More is better, and all that. Last year, BD was the only amplification I thought was done well. This year, I don't think anyone is better off with it.

Edited by Phillygwm

Guest DrumCorpFan

HH

We can't get one layperson to change their minds on DCP, you really think all those directors who voted against amps all said, "Whoa, we were totally wrong!"??? I don't buy that. Maybe they realize that those who got it passed have the votes to make it a "necessity" without writing it into the rules. That is why there isn't a balance of amped and unamped corps. Remember what Hopkins said...it was NOT "we will see some corps using this creative choice from time to time when the design calls for it." Oh no, Hopkins statement the moment it was passed was, "In three years ALL corps will be using it comfortably."

Big difference there.

First,

Blah blah blah the usual disclaimer blah that my opinions aren't those of the various corps I marched with blah, blah blah blah.

That said, for all the years I've been going to corps shows after aging out, I've always been able to hear the pit just fine without amps, thanks. But then, I'm an active listener. Ever see someone cup their hands around there ears to "funnel" the sound from the field a little better? Maybe the judges could try that, and wear an extension mic on their collars to keep their hands free...? Or, have the judges sit a bit closer at the big venues...?

With regard to the comment about marching aux percussion again....as someone who marched in one of the two Div 1 corps I know of that marched their tymps & keyboards in '82 (the other was 27th), I recommend we do it.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming....

I believe that, just as it was a for gone conclusion that everyone would be switching to Bb's (not to mention that certain corps had deals in the works that allowed for a full new line of Bb's the first season the rule passed), it was also such with amps. A couple of corps take the heat the first season, then, when the fans are a bit worn down, everyone slips them in the backdoor (both Bb's and amps).

As for needing them because there is now another judge . . . who do you think added that judge in the first place? Could it be the very people who then passed the amplification rule? Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!

For any of you that are supportive of amps just to allow the pit to be better heard, but not for the addition of sounds that could not be achieved unamplified, you should not support BD's use last year in the creation of the chug-chug train sound . . . impossible unamplified. Now weather you don't care or not . . . that's a different matter altogether.

Of course, I have just been listening to Coast to Coast AM with George Nory, so I am feeling quite conspiracy theoryish . . .

We can't get one layperson to change their minds on DCP, you really think all those directors who voted against amps all said, "Whoa, we were totally wrong!"???  I don't buy that.  Maybe they realize that those who got it passed have the votes to make it a "necessity" without writing it into the rules.  That is why there isn't a balance of amped and unamped corps.  Remember what Hopkins said...it was NOT "we will see some corps using this creative choice from time to time when the design calls for it."  Oh no, Hopkins statement the moment it was passed was, "In three years ALL corps will be using it comfortably."

Big difference there.

my mind was changed via DCP kind of...i realized i could live if the pit was amped.

and i decided to hate narration more