Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

Glassmen West (or G-West) is still in use as the corps rehearsal facilities.  A lot of work has been done on the building since you were there and it's in great shape.

I remember the narrow stairwells and the boiler room. Also the cafateria/auditorium/gym was interesting to see. That school had to be built in the middle 1800's, do you know when it was built?

Would like to visit again sometime.

Which corps does not have story about smuggling beer out of Canada back in the 70s and 80s? Maybe this is still happening.

I wouldn't really call this any sort of myth or legend. I bring Canadian beer with me on tour and most other Canadian corps staff members do as well. You guys don't know how bad you've got it in the beer department. Sam Adam's? Bud?

:spit:

Doug Thrower from the Bluecoats used to tell this great joke:

What does sex in a canoe and American beer have in common?

They're both F###ing close to water.

Edited by blue9195

Another rumor....Blue Devil Drum Majors present Velvet Knights Drum Majors with a pineapple and palm tree at retreat....as the VK drum majors were reading a newspaper.

Blue Devil DM's used to hide in the horn block at retreat, waiting for SCV's drum majors to front and center for retreat.

Mars......

Doug Thrower from the Bluecoats used to tell this great joke:

What does sex in a canoe and American beer have in common?

They're both F###ing close to water.

that's an old Monty Python Joke from their Bruce and Sheila Skit. i think it was in their live performance.

The duet in the 86 Blue Devils closer had an average age of 17.........true.

Only because Trombetta was 16 at the time!

I was wrong in the average age, it was 16, not 17. John Trombetta did the duet with Mike Olivedas during the gate turns. Both were 16 at the time.

John Trombetta made the A corps horn line at 14, Mike O. made the A corps horn line at 15......and upper lead sop at that.

If you want this story told right, you need Jim Fox to tell it.  Since he's not a DCPer...

From what I understand, this was during the mid/late 80s when Glassmen was a small corps just hoping to make/stay in the Top 25.  At the Port Clinton, Ohio show, which was essentially a home show for the Glassmen, the corps was set up in retreat next to the Troopers.  Now, we all know how seriously Troopers take retreat.  At the time, however, Glassmen DIDN'T take retreat seriously.  I don't know if it was the hornline or the drumline, but one of the sections really did order pizza and have it delivered onto the retreat field.  Bass drums, from what I understand, make great tables for serving pizza.

Now, the fun didn't really begin until somebody offered pizza to the Troopers...  ^0^

I believe I was in that retreat, it was 1986 back when glassmen used to play 'Just a Gigalo' off retreat. However I don't think it was in Port Clinton. I think it was in Berea, Ohio. A tiny little town and the glassmen had the pizza's. however it could have just been pizza boxes at that show reenacting the delivery retreat in port clinton.

Blue Devils blow gasket.

Regiment did, too, remember? They were standing next to us reviewing the recaps after retreat...I seem to recall both corps reaching the M&M caption at the same time and looked at each other in a group WTF???

'Course, I also remember being happy that SCV won the show if we didn't.