Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

I heard The Kilties used to make their rookies march comando under their Kilts. And, sometimes the rookies would pass out during shows and the rest is HIStory. :P

As Bryan mentioned, it's called going "True"....and why let the rookies have all the fun, it goes beyond the rookie stage!! b**bs :beer:

"I'm out there Jerry, and lovin' every minute of it!!" Kramer, Seinfeld Episode

Edited by bill

During the 70's one of the Kilties passes out after a show. After 5 minutes in the medical trailer two nurses come out and one nurse says to the other "I wunder what he wears under his kilt!!!" From inside the tent comes the words :

"A LOT OF PRIDE LADY, A LOT OF PRIDE!!!" Both nurses look at each other and laugh that the young man inside heard them !!! b**bs b**bs b**bs

Lets see...

A certain Cadet snare bringing a chainsaw on tour and some other story, probably not true, involving a lawnmower being started in the hall outside the gym where the corps was sleeping at 0 dark 30 much to the chagrin of Aunt Nelly and others. Nope, don't think that one really happened, nor do I think that the guilty parties have ever been brought to justice, that is, if it had really happened, which it didn't.

Oh yea, there was something about the resourcefulness of certain Crossmen males in dousing a fire that had somehow materialized in the back of the bus. I think that one is better than the lawnmower one anyway.

Also, Aunt Nell was not involved in any way with the sudden and unexplained dissapearance of the embarrassing snare line masks that were used in the Cadets first show in 1978 (Bayonne I think) but then were never seen again by anyone, including me, as they sat lost forever under the back seat of bus two and could not be found. Thank you Aunt Nell for avoiding any involvement in collecting them and handing them to me to be disposed of.

Hotel door surfing in Wildwood anyone? (please don't try this at home...you have to go to Wildwood to do it)

Edited by patrickzampetti

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, haven't read the entire thread, but one of my drum instructors, Dino Ruccio, marched with Madison in the early 70's (forgot which year). Back then they had a large wooden spool they used for a podium. One year, one night after recieving a not-so-favorable drum score, the drumline instructor told the snareline to take a bite out of the wooden podium and during the show at a particular point, on a snare hit, the snamreline blew chunks at the field judge! Don't know if it's true but ####, that took balls!

my eyes!  theyre burning!!!!

also dont forget...Madonna TOTALLY marched with Bridgemen. :beer:

From imdb.com.....

Was supposed to play the lead in Music of the Heart (1999) but dropped out two weeks before filming was set to begin.

High school cheerleader.

Marched with the Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps.

Her daughter Lourdes was named as a tribute to Madonna's mother, who wanted to visit Lourdes, France, where the Virgin Mary, the Madonna, appeared in 1858, but died before doing so.

Couple of stories:

In 92 with Suncoast, we broke down 10 times in 12 days! I remember one time, on the side of the interstate, you could see almost every male member standing inward at the tree line taking a whiz... wish I had my camera at that moment!

Same year, right before leaving on tour, we took some flamingos from a yard in St. Pete, wrote down the address and would send pics and postacrds of the flamingos on the field and on the road back to that address to let the owners know they were okay and having fun. Didn't find out if they made it back home but I know they had a good time! :)

Oh, and breaking down on I-95, middle lane, leaving DC during rush hour and the lead bus blowing the oil pan. Wouldn't have been so bad except that the first reckor to come pick up the bus also broke down so it required three reckors, 1 broke down, another to get that reckor and another to get the bus! Ahhh... good times! I think it took like 3 hours to get off the interstate!

Hmmm....

Anything could be considered 'legends,' and I would think that most alumni worth their weight in gold wouldn't betray their specific corps' legends, myths, etc.

That being said, a few of my favorites...

* my favorite old school Garfield Cadets Story (from '83): 

In marching rehearsal George Z got really ticked at someone's marching tick, and yelled something like "Hey; give me 1,000 push-up" (I'd bet money that's paraphrasing ;).  At first the member thought George was 'joking' but George made it clear he was serious.  The member ended up doing push-up all day, evening, before and after the show before George let him off the hook.

I love those old time drum corps stories... :)

--

doug

A similar incident DID happen to yours truly in 1982. We were rehearsing somewhere in Massachusetts and I was having a really bad day. I was "ticking like a bomb"! George Zingali got in my face and told me to do pushups. When I asked him "how many?" he responded "...until I get tired of watchin' ya!"

Here's an "urban legend" from the 80's that I've always wondered if it was true:

In late season in either 83 or 84 (I think 83, but not absolutely sure), the Cadets were doing the Z pull when someone tripped, causing a "domino effect" of other people tripping and falling (what with the Z pull basically being a blind move, and all that). After a tense few seconds, the performers managed to "recover" and finish the show. They were undefeated up until that show; they lost the show due to the accident.

Now, here's were the legend gets really good: supposedly, one of the performers was seriously injured with at least one leg fracture (I've heard it was multiple fractures), yet valiantly managed to get up, finish the show, and exit the field in formation looking as though nothing was wrong - even though he/she was in terrible pain. Once off the field, the performer collapsed immediately.

So, any Cadets from the early 80's - did this really happen? If so, give us the scoop.