Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

From imdb.com.....

Was supposed to play the lead in Music of the Heart (1999) but dropped out two weeks before filming was set to begin.

High school cheerleader.

Marched with the Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps.

Her daughter Lourdes was named as a tribute to Madonna's mother, who wanted to visit Lourdes, France, where the Virgin Mary, the Madonna, appeared in 1858, but died before doing so.

regardless of what it says, madonna DID NOT march bridgemen. i have a friend (very good friend, former supervisor, our daughters are growing up together, her parents are corps folks, blah blah blah) who was in bayonne's guard at the time madonna was alledgedly marching. all she can say is, "HA!" got a good laugh about it when i asked her.

take it for what you will.......

Ü

jan

Regiment did, too, remember?  They were standing next to us reviewing the recaps after retreat...I seem to recall both corps reaching the M&M caption at the same time and looked at each other in a group WTF???

'Course, I also remember being happy that SCV won the show if we didn't.

the guard didn't. we had john brazale standing right in front of us. if ANYONE dared make a move.....well, those that know brazale know the rest of the story....

Ü

jan

Also 1983 Geneseo Knights who wouldn't let a judge break ranks or something like that somewhere around midseason.  only to have their scores level off and corps that they had been beating started passing them and they missed finals that year after sitting in about 9th or 10th place mid season.

Sounds like the Yankee-Rebels back in the 60s/70s. Rumor was one of their buses clobbered a car that belonged to one of the judges for the evening show.

Annnnnnnnd, ker-splat went their score on that caption......

Heh, I'm enjoying these as I only did the Senior thing.

regardless of what it says, madonna DID NOT march bridgemen.  i have a friend (very good friend, former supervisor, our daughters are growing up together, her parents are corps folks, blah blah blah) who was in bayonne's guard at the time madonna was alledgedly marching.  all she can say is, "HA!"  got a good laugh about it when i asked her.

take it for what you will.......

Ü

jan

Oh, I know.....I just posted this out of amusement. I can't believe it's actually in her bio there.

There's a reason they were also known as the Obscene Filthies, after all... :P

At the West Allis show in 73 (I think) I asked a Kiltie bari (cute too) what he wore under his kilt and he replied "baby powder" and proved it.

<and I just remembered his name ... just now ... weird>

Edited by jojo

also heard a story from the early 80's,  80 81 82 dont know which,  they were driving home from a show in northern wis  appleton maybe,  anyway the corps got drunk at a local tavern and pulled over to pee,  dont know if its true but I heard one of the buses wizzed on an electric fence. Again,  that one may be myth!!!

:OT: , but am I the only one that wants to know how a BUS managed to urinate on an electric fence????? :beer:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the old rumor from the early 80's about the BD snare line all doing lines of coke off their drumheads before going into the stadium to perform.

This one has been around for a long time in several incarnations. Maybe they're all true... or not.

Back in the late 70s a certain drum instructor in a certain corps popped a Black Beauty onto each drumhead during the prelims warmup. The corps won drums. Not naming names because it really happened (told to me by someone in the line).

I had something "presented" on my drumhead more than once. It was a different time. Just look the old photos thread and check out the hippy staff people.