Winston-Salem Scores!

Interesting thought...  I wonder if anyone out there knows the answer to this.  When was the last time that the Hurcs & Cru beat Hawthorne?  I'm interested in finding this out.  This year is going to be even more interesting than last.

Sources close to me say........:) But I don't think they both have ever beat Hawthorne in the same year at finals if that is what you were asking

Rochester 1988

Connecticut 1982

Eric Watters

Atlanta, GA.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may address some of this...

We've dealt with the no re-entry crap in Scranton, as well. I'm sure that can be addressed, as we are told it was fixed for this year in Scranton.

ATM thing is not a huge deal, I would think. Just take enough for the day.

Unless you are in the Stadium Club, you options in Scranton were not much better. Terrible pizza, cold fries, and everything you listed above.

You said it yourself. Scranton is no mecca. What else is there to do in Scranton? Does Scranton even have a downtown? What is by the stadium anyway? I know Muggs, and that little sub shop in the gas station. The rest is just fast food,and even that isn't really that nearby.

Scranton is not a haven for nightlife, as far as I can tell.

I can't really address this, as I didn't see the room available. But a lot of corps use large covers already. They are not very expensive.

How many bathrooms were there? Were others locked, or just non-existant?

Hotels.com lists 50 hotels for the W-S/Greensboro area. Some really nice prices, too (Quality Inn for $55, based on this coming Labor Day weekend)

Scranton lists 31. Also some good prices. But seem to be more scattered.

Possibly. But if W-S is announced in the next few days, we will have a major jump on any football fans for next year.

Some upsides to NOT being in Scranton:

Moosic police, and their horrendous treatment of fans, etc... I experienced it first hand.

There is very, VERY little to do in Scranton. Which for me, is not a big deal, as I just like to socialize anyway. But for some, it could be annoying.

Baseball field vs football field. No brainer. And we don't have to wait to find out if the Barons are making the playoffs to find out if the dirt patches will be covered.

A city that seems to be welcoming DCA with open arms, vs Scranton, who doesn't really seem to care too much.

at no time have i EVER said Scranton is THE answer. I admit it's faults.

but i do not seriously believe that right now, NC is an option. Think Rochester 96...does DCA need that many people coming home ###### off?

also as for the cash thing...if people aren't told in advance, who is to know?

this is an ACC stadium for god's sakes, and a ###### AAA stadium has better amenities.

that says a lot.

ding ding ding.....winnah winnah....chicken dinnah.  With some back bacon, eh? (LAME canadian joke, I know.)

Anyhoo... THIS ONE sentence is all you need.  THIS is why DCA should be in W-S in 2006. 

There were TONS of places in the down town area.  They were just closed very early.  THAT can be fixed. 

There NEEDS to be an ATM machine near the food places.  That is an easy fix. You bring in one of those portable one.

Food selections = easy fix. 

Hotels: there were tons, they're just in the middle of being remodelled.  That will be fixed by then.

HUGE convention center for I& E.  Not some dirty, dark, poorly lit parkinglot in an out of the way closed for the season ghost town ski resort. 

As for the weather = the only place you're going to get good, predictable weather for finals is west of the Rockies.  We all know I need not bother finishing THAT sentence.  Ha ha.

W-S is primed and ready to go for finals.  The entire town was HAPPY to have us there.  (Hullo, Scranton - we provide  a HUGE % of your yearly income.)  This place would be soooo excellent for finals.  SOOOOO excellent.

easy fixes? i hope so. But, IMHO, an ACC stadium should be equipped with that already.

i am not trashing the place. the people trreated me well. everyone was nice.

but the stadium as it stands now lacked.

yes you need a great facility for the performers.

you also need one for the fans

yes you need a great facility for the performers.

you also need one for the fans

Not one of the issues you raise struck me as a major concern.

To me, a major concern is that in Hershey, corps are not allowed to play on Sunday morning ... or that the show sponsor might suddenly decide to pull the plug on the contract for no apparent reason. Or in Scranton, 5% of your corps members will be randomly arrested ... lol.

well hey if you wanna eat hot dogs and hot dogs only all day, so be it.

90% of the world doesnt.

i never said Scranton was god.

notice not once did i mention no beer sales at the stadium, which i know MANY people will ##### about. that's fine by me.

but the food choice sucked.

the fact that you cant get cash if you run short sucked.

i also never once said anything bad about the I&E venue. light years improved.

but the stadium is where 90% of your paying customers will be at some point in the weekend. and it has issues as it stands.

if it's fixed...great. If it's not, welcome to Frontier Field southern version.

oh wait that had food selection and an atm machine

well hey if you wanna eat hot dogs and hot dogs only all day, so be it.

90% of the world doesnt.

i never said Scranton was god.

notice not once did i mention no beer sales at the stadium, which i know MANY people will ##### about. that's fine by me.

but the food choice sucked.

the fact that you cant get cash if you run short sucked.

i also never once said anything bad about the I&E venue. light years improved.

but the stadium is where 90% of your paying customers will be at some point in the weekend. and it has issues as it stands.

if it's fixed...great. If it's not, welcome to Frontier Field southern version.

oh wait that had food selection and an atm machine

Given how much the W-S community bent over backwards for all of the corps, do you really think they would not fix the items on your list if DCA made a request? Compared to everything they have done for DCA, it seems like everything on your list could be dealt with very easily and quickly.

Also, and for the record, I would like to reiterate that nothing contained in this thread is a statement by anyone or any organization but me. I regret that the fact that I express my personal opinion antagonizes anyone, but I reserve the right to do so.

Edited by drumlaw80

i would be very happy if they did fix these things. I would hgope they do. I'd likely give it a shot especially if the above issues are announced fixed.

DCA doesnt need a black eye. and if you send people in there as it stands now, it would kill finals going anywhere outside of the NE for a long time.

I'm not harping on crowd size, i know the rain hurt that, even with some of the bold predicitions put out here by those involved.

but these things need fixed. fast, and in writing.

or you face bad PR

at no time have i EVER said Scranton is THE answer. I admit it's faults.

but i do not seriously believe that right now, NC is an option. Think Rochester 96...does DCA need that many people coming home ###### off?

also as for the cash thing...if people aren't told in advance, who is to know?

this is an ACC stadium for god's sakes, and a ###### AAA stadium has better amenities.

that says a lot.

I wasn't in Rochester in 96. I was aging out.

But from what I have heard about Rochester 96, is that it was quite possibly the worst DCA ever.

Now, I know I wasn't there in NC, but I have seen video of a certain corps, and the crowd was very enthusiastic, the field looked good, and the vantage from the box was outstanding.

All the concerns you've mentioned, Jeff, are so incredibly minor, and extremely easily fixed. Remember, DCA would have a year to plan for finals. It's not like we are going there next week.

W-S is ready to embrace us with open arms. It's time to give them a shot. Besides, what other cities are stepping up to the plate?

And these were shows held in some of the larger cities back east like Boston, New York or Philadelphia? Sorry, but that's a little hard to believe, Liz.

Rice

DCA has not held a show in either Boston or Philly since i've been involved. the largest city that DCA has held a show in in NY was Rochester. fans there weren't happy w/ the set up but they weren't disrepectful either.

Kingston being the second largest "city" (sorry ~ to me it is more of a town atmosphere). and no i haven't seen fans be disrespectful. the bug issue left many fans unhappy and grossed out, but they weren't disrespectful to the corps in anyway over it as they realized it wasn't the corps' fault.

so sorry you find me to be a liar.

*edit ~ just what would you consider to be disrespectful would be a good question at this point i believe*

Edited by LegalEagle50