Star 1993- Utter Crap or Musical Masterpiece?

What are your feelings on the music of Star's 1993 show?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feelings on the music of Star's 1993 show?

• It's some of the best to be put on the field
    • It's average
    • It's horrible

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I have with Star 93 is that I can't listen to the end of it anymore without hearing that Twighlight Zone tag in my head! :P

Edited by Galen

Glad that show wasn't used to introduce me into the activity because then I would have never gotten into drum corps.

And don't forget they were booed everywhere they went.  What must that have been like...

I have heard this knock on the drum Corps fans from 1993 before. But I attended 3 shows that year that the Star of Indiana participated in, and not once did I recall the Star of Indiana being booed. I asked those who atended with me if they recalled the booing of Star, and they told me they don't recall any booing of the Star of Indiana either. Maybe it's a midwest thing, this booing of Star, as the shows I attended were from Pennsylvania, eastward. Whenever Star finished at the 3 shows I attended there was applause mostly for their obvious profiency, and some silence from others as this show was different to some. But " booing " during their show, or when they finished ? I never heard it. Neither did my family, nor friends who went with me to these shows. As a matter of fact, I can't recall any corps being booed at an East Coast Drum Corps show. Ever. Even those Corps that were maybe not as entertaining, or were from another region. I have heard some boos at the judges scoring announcements at retreat over the years( who here hasn't ? ), but booing a Corps because of their show ? That's a foreign concept to this drum Corps fan who's attended more shows than he can count.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

1993 Starof Indiana's colorguard on finals night was one of the most underrated, overlooked performances in history. What they did to convey the mood of the show is often overlooked by the corps movement package and unusual musical score, however, had the guard not been unique and commanding in their interpretation of the show, it would hae sunk like a rock.

That guard, ensemble wise, was on fire.

~G~

1993 Starof Indiana's colorguard on finals night was one of the most underrated, overlooked performances in history. What they did to convey the mood of the show is often overlooked by the corps movement package and unusual musical score, however, had the guard not been unique and commanding in their interpretation of the show, it would hae sunk like a rock.

That guard, ensemble wise, was on fire.

~G~

A-muther effing- men sistah. ^0^

I have heard this knock on the drum Corps fans from 1993 before. But I attended 3 shows that year that the Star of Indiana participated  in, and not once did I recall  the Star of Indiana  being booed. I asked those who atended with me if they recalled the booing of Star, and they told me they don't recall any booing of the Star of Indiana either. Maybe it's a midwest thing, this booing of Star, as the shows I attended were from Pennsylvania, eastward.

The furthest east Star of Indiana came in 1993 was in Ohio, and Buffalo NY for DCI North..and a few southern shows..

Remember they went to DATR against the Cadets, late that season and marched eastward towards Jackson.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

The furthest east Star of Indiana came in 1993 was in Ohio, and Buffalo NY for DCI North..and a few southern shows..

Remember they went to DATR against the Cadets, late that season and marched eastward towards Jackson.

~G~

One of the shows was Jackson for the Finals. The Star' of Indiana's show was not booed at either the Quarters or the Finals that I attended. I do recall my internal booing for the selection of this site for DCI Finals though. I'll never foget the smell that came into that stadium from the nearby poultry farm. ( I think it was a poultry farm anyway ).

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

This is definitely on of the biggest controversies in the DCI community. I, for one, am in love with the music. I absolutely hated it the first time I heard it and thought it was the least-entertaining music I had ever heard on the field, and thought that it was such a dissapointing final show for Star. But after watching the show more and more and listening to the music more carefully, I finally appreciated all its nuances and realized that music doesn't have to be consistently loud and in-your-face to be entertainng, and can safely say it's a work of art and clearly puts that show in a league of its own. What are everyone else's opinions?

Well compare Star 93 with the champions show (Cadets) from that year........one is a drum corps show the other is very obscure :worthy::huh:

Triple Forte

Through some mystical convergence this was the summer of Medea in my life. I was completely entrenched, directing the Robinson Jeffers adaptation of the play in Chicago and then just visiting Amsterdam where there is a great drinking spot called the Argos where I spent entirely too much of my time. I'd also purchased a paperweight in London of the Argos as a souvenir.

My only show that year was the Star home show in Bloomington - a big show - Drum Corp Midwestern Championships I think it was called back then. Before the internet I really never knew what I was going to see before seeing it and that, suddenly, Medea was placed before me in a completely new and unexpected way. I was captivated and moved in ways that had never, ever happened to me with a drum corps show before. Yes, I'd stood and screamed wildly, but I'd never been completely moved emotionally.

I returned home and restaged the bloomin' play.

It was a landmark. :worthy: