BD shows - Which do you prefer?

I'm having a tough time with understanding BD's horn arranging for the last 10 years or so. They are one of my favorite corps, but I don't get the horn arranging. I know this has been talked about but was curious about your thoughts.

Overall the quality of players, is as always outstanding. They execute the parts, and play musically, and with dynamics.

I prefer pre '95. There are actual songs. The whole program seems to revolve around the music.

I just listened to top five from 04, and BD is my least favorite. I felt like I was listening to 03 for much of the show. Sure Summertime was recognizable, but it's just different.

Sorry for my angst. I really am just disapointed. I wish for a old time show from BD. It's not even old time - SCV, PR, Madison are still classic drum corp shows musically. Just to hear something like 91 or 86 or 81 again.

Lately the shows show off ability, but are lacking in overall ways of connecting with the fan.

Any thoughts??

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure.

My thoughts are thus:BD's brass line ...their entire brass line kicks ###. Why only showcase a few sops who can play up near the dog-whistle end of the spectrum with some stacatto FF "BOPS" from the hornline?

Listen to 1993, or 1994...those shows sell the entire brass line..baris especially... with solos, solis and melodic phrasing throughout the production

However, so far, the BD "boppity" arranging has worked on the sheets. Perhaps with them faltering just a wee bit this year, it may be rethought in favor of the more melodic style that we see from Phantom or Carolina Crown, etc.

I agree. I find myself listening to VERY LITTLE post-95 BD on Season Pass. 2000 and 1998 are OK, but that's about it for me. I was excited when I heard they were doing Ragtime in 2002, but it ended up sounding like everything else.

I love 1985 BD, plus 86 and 81. I wish we could hear more of that. Or maybe they could just play F tuning for 11 minutes....