BD shows - Which do you prefer?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2000 BD is the only post 95 BD I find myself whistling or bothering to watch again. I just *have not* liked them, musically or visually, in years. I believe they have an extremely talented brassline that most corps would kill to have that they do not showcase to the best of their abilities. I know people worship their colorguard, and while I think they have the most talented dancers in DCI and they are usually clean, I think there are many guards out there that surpass them in vocabulary...and other guards are catching up in the dance area. I think they've gotten lazy creatively in brass/visual/guard. It's been the same old thing for years, to my eyes and ears, anyway.

I would love to see more melodic arranging from BD and better visual design with a more challenging and creative guard book/design. I don't dislike the organization, I just think they need a new game plan. It's almost like they think they're so good they don't have to try.

The last time I got to see BD live was 2002, so I can't count 03-present in my opinion. But when I did see them in 2002, I thought, "Wow!! That's definately the most fun, awesome BD show since 1992!!"

I'm a fan of the older style BD shows. Hornline that played better than anyone else, sop solos that weren't just screaming, they were very musical, ability to articulate better than any other line, drumline that wasn't that spectacular, corps that didn't march a whole lot, and guard that was a blast to watch. Those are the Blue Devils I grew up with and loved!

Pre95, though I do enjoy parts of all their shows since, just not the whole packages. I started following drum corps post95, so I've sort of grown up not liking BD, and it's hard to let go of, unfortunately.