BD shows - Which do you prefer?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorites span both sides of an imaginary 1995 fence, so it's easier for me to list my favorite BD shows, or the one I never skip when I'm listening to CD for their respective years:

As for periods, the 88-90 seasons and the 97-'00 seasons would be my favorite 2 periods.

Harvey

1979-The turning point of drum corps sound, especially that of BD. 3/4 of the hornline was 2 valve with the contras p/r. Depth, clarity, and an actual pitch center throughtout was the reason BD was so great that year. Check out 1978, fairly same show in 1/2 but a totally different sound in '79. My personal favorite year to listen to. I will have to admit that '82 BD was pretty freakish to play in. A lot of great horn players that year. Lots from other corps and a good central BD base of vets made that horn line awesome to play in. The best year without a championship would have to be '84. There was so much musicianship in that show. If it had been the Cadets 49th or 51st years, we would have taken it all. I don't know about tying the brass with those guys and SCV-I personally feel as a marching member and as a former brass adjudicator, BD had that show hands down in brass. I think I had pretty good fortune to be in BD those 3 years.

When I read your topic title, my knee jerk reaction was to prefer the post-95 shows. I love the shows in 2001 and 2002. I think they have had an outstanding, integrated package from '95 on. Then I read the post which discusses the horn book. To that question I have an opposite answer. I greatly prefer the horn arrangements from pre-95. I am not real happy with the chopped up selections that are the feature now. They have way too much talent not to let them shine on some great numbers. An example was the arrangement of Channel One Suite from 2002 (I think). It did not carry the impact and interest of the previous one from '86.

86 - 88 - 89 were my favorites from them. Some pieces they've played from 91 through 94 were good but not the whole show. The previous years I mentioned, I like the entire show! Hasn't been that way since. But I'm still hoping!