Kiss my support goodbye II

I saw my first Drum Corps show in 1971 at the Illinios State fair on a track. The Cavaliers doing the clown show and the Black Knights playing The Impossible Dream. I was hooked. After marching for 11 seasons, teaching for 3 and being a Band Director for the last 7, I enjoy todays productions as much as I did then. As far as pride, discipline, dedication and musicianship are concerned? These young students today exhibit as much now, if not more. Especially musicianship. I do not care for the narration, but I STILL LOVE THIS ACTIVITY for many other reasons. I saw the Phantom Regiment rehearse thursday night and I had GOOSEBUMPS. PLENTY!

P.S. Not sure how I'll feel about saxophones though.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd...the gal who wrote this doesn't even post here...it was copied and pasted from another site. However, if she DID post here, of course it is her right...and anyone elses to call her on it if they disagree.

Personally, I disagree with just about every word she wrote.

Mike

Of course you disagree MikeD....but the "idiot" and "moron" comments are not acceptable...as far as her posting on DCP,...I will invite her to defend herself, which she would definitely do...

No, no, no.

<snip for brevity>

It's easier to entrust the legacy prospectively than it is to guard it retrospectively. The only obligation therefore in my view is for the current generation to instill the proper values in the next generation by continuing their involvement. That's the way to protect your investment.

Sound reasoning. But, for the sake of argument, say that things have previously turned off course. How should we bring it back?

And how do you feel about saxophones?

Edited by The Oz

That's profound. I think I mostly agree.

I wonder, though, if there is any sense in which the current generation is entrusted with an activity which has been cared for and passed down by those who came before them? If so, that may put some limits on what the current generation ought to do with the activity.

Okay, someone asked that Chris Maher's comment re:entrusting the activity to be cared for by the current generation (paraphrasing). As I look at the contemporary drum and bugle corps of 2005, much has changed since my first year in 1971. However, I remain convinced that more has remained constant: the core values, the work ethic, the fraternal/familial bond of any member from any era to any member from another era, the life skills and lessons learned, the exposure to different locales and cultures, the opportunity to learn, hone or advance ones musical and performance skills, the growth of personal responsibility and personal confidence, the desire to be the best you can be and relishing the hard work and sacrifice it takes to realize that goal, learning the grace to be a humble winner and a gracious loser. Yes, the instruments and equipment have evolved (or changed - if you wish), but the important things that truly define the drum and bugle corps activity as the American treasure it is remain strong and firmly intact IMHO.

Really?  Is that so?  Are you really saying that somebody who has never marched drum corps has just as good an idea about the level of pride and discipline involved as somebody who actually marched?  My marching history may not be quite as extensive as some others on this forum, but I could have just marched one week and still had more knowledge than the author of the original post.

I'll see if somebody can throw you a line and pull you back to reality.

Its obvious drum corps, or your experiences in, didnt teach you humility, acceptance, or the opportunity to be humble huh ?? Maybe it is YOU that needs a line to be pulled back to reality. Heres a clue for you, wether you marched Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Blue Eagle, Blue Saints, Blue Max, or Memphis blus, or marched in a high school band wth blue uniforms and never enter a DCI contest as a participant, your opinion is just as important as the next guy. Shame on you for thinking otherwise.

~G~

I sincerely wish that those who no longer wish to support the drum and bugle corps activitiy would send their complaints and "resignation letters" to DCI - and LEAVE THIS FORUM FOR THOSE WHO DO SUPPORT DRUM CORPS AND ALL THE FOLKS THAT WORK VERY HARD TO BRING US ENTERTAINMENT.

To the operators of this forum: PLEASE START BANNING PEOPLE LIKE THIS - THEY RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US AND ARE DESTRUCTIVE TO THE ACTIVITY.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

~G~

I sincerely wish that those who no longer wish to support the drum and bugle corps activitiy would send their complaints and "resignation letters" to DCI - and LEAVE THIS FORUM FOR THOSE WHO DO SUPPORT DRUM CORPS AND ALL THE FOLKS THAT WORK VERY HARD TO BRING US ENTERTAINMENT.

To the operators of this forum: PLEASE START BANNING PEOPLE LIKE THIS - THEY RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US AND ARE DESTRUCTIVE TO THE ACTIVITY.

Translation: I don't agree with him/her so make them disappear. Is banning them from DCP enough? Do you really think you are so ENTITLED that you can live free of dissent?

I'm sorry, but there are so many really horrible comparisons to your mindset that it's frightening.

Its obvious drum corps, or your experiences in, didnt teach you humility, acceptance, or the opportunity to be humble huh ??

<snip>

Pot...Kettle...Black. :blink:

Well, as I said in another thread, this fan would rather watch '03 Blue Knights, who didn't even make finals, than watch '75 Scouts.

I noticed the original poster was a young fan.  My big question to him then is, does he even know what he's talking about?  I am not being condescending, I seriously want to know how much he knows of what drum corps was like back in the 80's.  I'm already too old for junior corps, yet I didn't pick up a trumpet until 1994.  It wasn't until 1997 that I marched in high school, and I didn't know what drum corps was until 1999.  So unless this guy has been around drum corps his whole life, how does he know what it was like in the 80's or before?

My guess is he's been listening to the vets.  And while it's great that he obviously holds them in respect, nostalgia can be a powerful thing.  Quite often, even on these boards, vets will look at the past through rose-colored glasses, and further romanticize what was clearly a great time in their life.  It's the old "back in my day...", where instead of having to walk 10 miles to school, uphill both ways, in this story drum corps was truly drum corps.  I have no doubt drum corps in the 80's was a great experience, but I also know that the experience has been blurred by time.  That's why I'm always wary whenever I hear someone glorifying the tic system, or proclaiming how great it was to march a tympani around the field, or to have to sit through inspection.  I have no doubt that these same tinted glasses cast their lens over such factors as dedication and discipline as well, and that's why many vets have an ideal in their head that no group could ever live up to, no matter which era.

I would say, then, to the original poster, speak from your own experience, because then you're speaking from what you know.  Find out for yourself what you like and don't like, but make sure you're not letting others find out for you.  Of course, if he has been around that long and does know personally what drum corps was like in the 80's, then more power to him.  :)

I can't speak for others, but "tympani carrying " (as your example cited )was one of those " innovative " experiments that were once tried by Drum Corps that had much support at the time, but in hindsight as you correctly pointed out is now generally seen to have been a failed experiment. That just demonstates that all change that has favor at the time may not stand the test of time in later years. Including perhaps some of the " changes " we see now, that later years may prove to have been simply boring but intoduced as " innovative ", and therefore automatically " good " or " better ". Each of us sees things thru their own filter. For you, "75 Madison is unappealing. But "75 Madison being votied as a show for the ages speaks to it's timelessness, and securing this vote in some cases from those who had not seen the Corps, or were too young, or not yet born, is a testiment to it's popular appeal across the generations. My post here is not to knock what today's Corps are doing, as there is much to like. It was in response to the original thread originator to express some empathy for his viewpoint and to express my disagreement in some areas where I disagreed with his assessment. I don't want you to think that I'm in the camp that sees very little entertainment value in today's Corps. Those fans are certainly vocal, ( at least the ones that have not left ). But I'm also not in the camp that thinks that todays Corps offerings are not immune from criticism's either. That is, afterall, what a discussion board should do.....provoke thought, and challenge preconceived notions. ( Including my own. )

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

Sound reasoning. But, for the sake of argument, say that things have previously turned off course. How should we bring it back?

And how do you feel about saxophones?

Not trying to be evasive, but "off course" in whose mind? I'd bet no more marching members think today's drum corps is off course than the percentage 30 years ago. That's what I meant by the prospective/retrospective comparison.

A majority of the D1 directors and corps didn't elect to use amps because they thought it would put drum corp off course. They voted for the change because they thought it would put drum corps on course, of course. And for all the bluster we read in these threads about Crown's alleged abomination of singing and talking in 2004, it has to be noted that Crown 2005 might have attracted its best-ever brass and guard sections. (It would be foolish to think all those members only signed on after discovering there would be no voices in this year's production, hence no stain from 2004.)

Anyway, to answer your question "how should we bring it back," the solution is the same: Involvement. Play a role at Crown or Cavaliers. Make your (that's the collective "your") services felt so your input is essential. Get on the board so you can influence the votes.

That's the only way I know.

HH

Edited by glory