I Have Not Seen BD

Just to add...so many people love BD's 1995 show. To me, this is what I find hypocritical. I really didn't like BD's 1995 show one bit. WHY? Because it was cut-n-paste. Talk about a show that was chopped up. That was the mother of them all. The 1st half of the show was cool. Loved it. But, the 2nd part was 1991 and 1994 shows cut-n-pasted in. Now, it did have a latin jazz flavor, and the darkness. Makes me think...

1995's offering was just so powerful and full of technical nuances, you cant get bored watching and listening over and over. And the guard, adding that dark, sinister element......just a wonderful show, and undefeated all darn year too.....sigh.

~G~

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: I saw BD's show only once, on June 18, their first performance for the 2005 season. What they're doing now may be something completely different given how show designs can change drastically over the course of the summer. That said, their show was a huge disappointment to me. My initial impression of it was a semi-professional dance troupe with some horn and drum accompanyment. Now, I'm not a color guard person, so my view may be biased, but for me it was way too much color guard. A good drum corps show, for me at least, has balance, and the BD 2005 show I saw didn't have enough for my tastes.

I will see them again at finals. Ironically, I'll have seen their first and last performance of the year and nothing in between. I am truly hoping that I'll enjoy it more the second time, but I'm not keeping my hopes up based on what I'm reading.

As always, this is NOT a slam to the kids or their talent level, which as always is phenominal. I just dislike the show design - that's my honest opinion.

Martha

• 2 years later...
Good luck picking a show next year???? wow.. ... and what GREAT IDEAS do you have for a show???

I think the Godfather would be pretty sweet for BD in '06.