Meadowlands Comments

Just in from a great night of drum corps in the Meadowlands. I went with a friend of mine who is a viola player by training and two friends who were attending their first show ever. Always great to see how a newcomer views the activity that I love so dearly.

Just a quick note to YEA!: Please try to get the transportation set up with New Jersey Transit! The buses were not running after the show, essentially stranding all those who needed to return to Manhattan. WHat a disaster. If not for someone from the NJSEA giving us a lift to a different bus stop, we would still have been stranded!

On to the show . . .

Pioneer: My friends were absolutely shocked when they saw Pioneer. It was so much more than they had expected and thankfully enough, they were really digging it. I think Pioneer has a really nice package this year. I really enjoy the Irish Rebellion section, especially when they bring out the variation of the English flags and the music gets really disonant. Very strong moment. They still have performance issues which at this stage of the game will likely not be fixed. But overall very nice show tonight and a great show to build on for next year.

Pacific Crest: First viewing of them this year. I was very impressed with their sound. It was much better than last year and they were really well-balanced and strong. The drums were solid, at least to my brass ears. Very nice total visual package with a great color scheme. The guard had a solid show, but the visual performance was not as locked in as the other corps -- spacing, formation issues and just some other inconsistencies. I really liked them and I think they should be ahead of Mandarins, at least based on what I saw tonight. They can only get cleaner. My friends really liked this show, especially the really cool "Ice" section. Great show tonight.

Mandarins: I really finally got to hear them tonight (I don't consider Indy last week as a proper hearing). The music (at least the brass) was much better than Indy. Although, they really have some problems with individuals sticking out of the ensemble simply because they are overblowing. I was pretty noticeable. The drums were really not featured and did nothing to really help the total music package. Now, on to the guard! Oh my, the guard had one of the worst nights I've seen a guard have in a long time! So much hitting the field. It was difficult to watch them simply because nothing was going as planned. I don't know if this is typical, but they have no chance of making semis if their guard can't become a solid part of the total visual package. Unfortunately, my friends had difficulty getting into this show mostly because of the obvious guard errors. The marching looked stronger than Indy last week. They have a new ending from the one in Indy: there is now a brief musical recap that ends with the corps proper in a heart and the guard inside with various flowers being offered. But I really think that they will not make semis.

Colts: The postcards lined the back sideline (off the field). The drill looked different from Indy -- pretty sure the postcards are officially staying off the field, no group of four guards moving around as if they are moving a postcard. Which is fine. They had a pretty good night tonight. My friends exclaimed "Wow they're really good!" That's always a good thing to hear in the middle of a show. They are performing this show very well right now (although there were a couple of iffy drill moments). But the horns sound strong and good. Drums seemed solid. The guard is so well staged in this show and they were really nailing everything tonight, best COlts guard I can ever remember. Unfortunately, if the Crossmen perform the way they did tonight, the Colts will place 14th.

Capital Regiment: I think they are really finally locking in on this show. Friends didn't care for the sundial and thought it looked cheap. The corps though performed so well tonight. The horns sound so well balanced and tonight they were strong through the end of their show, unlike in Indy. The drumline was hot tonight as well, the feature that includes the corps' body work was very well done tonight. Got a really strong response. I think this is a very solid semis show and I really would not be surprised to ulitmately see them close the gap on the Colts. The guard (although they are doing a commendable job) will keep them from passing the Colts ultimately. But very strong show tonight, much better than last week. I am really starting to like this show now.

Crossmen: Wow!!!! They had a fantastic night tonight. In Indy, I was absolutley convinced that there is no way this show could get into Finals, but after tonight, I really don't know. It's really starting to pick up in the closer and that will make all the difference. The guard had a bit of an off night with their equipment, but they still did a great job of selling the show. The new ending of Radar Love (at least new since Indy) was one of the few huge ovations of the night durig a corps' show. For those who haven't seen it, they simply come running to the front dsideline and simply wail on the final chord and holddddd it out. Still some visual issues, but if they can make this show squeeky clean, they have a legitimate shot in my opinion. My friends loved the flags during the ballad, very nice moment.

Cavaliers: They had a very strong performance tonight. I actually am surprised that the spread was as big as it was. The new ending is cool, but not really too different from what they had. They leave the land between the ladders and do what the Crossmen do, but only after they discard their hats. They really connected well with the audience tonight, and I actually found myself liking them much more than I did in Indy. Maybe I was just too tired by the time I saw them in Indy. The fireman section has some nice musical elements (mellophones were fantastic), but the cheesey hats just have to go. It looks like they're little kids playing fireman. My friends loved them. They were the favorite of all my friends. Interesting thing my frined said about the colorguard: "I guess they can wear whatever they want because they are the sh**!" And indeed they were really good tonight (however, I actually did see a drop!). Great show, but I still think they need to keep an eye on Phantom.

BD: OK. I really do not like this show, but I was still trying to talk it up to my friends so that I didn't sour it for them just incase they liked it. But, they all found it to be very boring and utterly confusing (especially since the announcer couldn't be heard that well). Really tough to watch when you have not a clue about what's going on. It was interesting to hear a newcomer actually say that while the Bluedevils appear to be one of the most talented corps on the field from a technical standpoint, that the show itself just didn't work. I had to say I agreed with him. If they finish any higher than 4th, I will be shocked and very disappointed. This show just doesn't work. Hwever, I must admit that I was humming their ballad all last week after Indy. How in the world did that get stuck in head! Anyway, the show can't be fixed at this point and I don't think their talent will save them from 4th or lower. Easily worst reaction from the crowd of everyone from Crossmen to the end.

Cadets: I love this show. However, I still have some issues with the Bjork impersonator. It seemed like that part has been modified slightly (a little faster and she laughs at the end of it now) My frinds didn't care for the vocalizations or the talking (in BD too for that matter). It was interesting to have newbies be anti-amped vocals since they don't have any of the baggage that most anti-ampers have. But the sho itself is getting much cleaner and the colorguard was unbeleivable tonight. The brass was so full, well balanced, and simply incredible tonight, even the trumpet soloist in the ballad had a great showing tonight (something I had yet to actually hear clean this year). As strong as Cavies horns were tonight, I completely agree with Cadets taking that. Their sound seemed so much more refined even when compared to Indy. Drums were fantastic as usual. The ballad ia the highlight if this show for me. The ballad simply transforms the way that a "ballad" can be conceived in drum corps. It is one of the bestthings I have ever heard/seen in drum corps! To quote Cesario: I had duckbumps the size of watermelons! All that being said, the ending seemed a bit down tonight, which is odd since when we arrive (about 1/2 hour before the show), the Cadets were actually in the stadium running that part of the show. Oh yeah, I believe that the opening music has been modified since Indy -- more Twilight Zone.

Great night and I am happy to report that all friends had a great time and were pleasantly surprised by the show. We may have three new fans! Every little bit helps.

OK, I have to ask, did you stay long enough to watch us?  If so, be honest...

I did - gotta support my fellow musicians in uniform. I really enjoyed your show - the Scherazade was one of my favorite moments of the evening. During 'rock this town' a couple of contras were slightly overblowing. Stars and Stripes, always excellent. I think you move more than last I saw you (Hershey last year maybe?), which is nice. Great show!

pioneer much bigger and better than many other years. Doing irish year after year is a tough task but the design team did a pretty good job with this show. Mickey was wearing his Redskin gear for the local Giant fans.

Pacific crest...a nice corps with lots of potential, but in an identity crisis it seems to me. No real weaknesses but nothing that stuck out, except the little leg hitch they do several times. they remind me of Denver Blue Knights when they first came out several years ago now.

Mandarins... I dont care for them at all this year. Guard had a rough night, horn line didnt do anything that was memorable and I just didnt get the feeling that it was a good show from them.

Colts...this corps is very good!!! Guard was on fire tonight. Horn line plays well and drums were very good as well. the show works fine and although I have seen many of those drill sets from the Brigadiers...Rick Morey did a nice job of staging and integration with the corps and guard. I saw many of the same visual tendencies from them as I do when I watch the Brigs.

Capitol Regiment...nice corps. Loud first impact, good drum line and great looking uniforms. I do not think that sundial thing is working and the show could stand up on its own without that distraction. I agree that it looks kind of cheap as compared to the corps look. Guard was good but NOT as good as Colts guard.

Crossmen...Classical Gas is WAY TOO SHORT!!! it seems chopped off to me. Radar love was way cool and the ending got the middle of the show standing O that no other corps got tonight. Drum line was very hot and with the exception of the closer being MUCH rougher than the rest of the show, this corps could move up into finals.

Cavaliers...I liked them the best show wise. They play very well and there are no weaknesses ANYwhere...guard is great, horn line has that sound that ONLY Cavies get, especially on the backfield turn around stuff...and of course visually they are a machine. I would have picked them to win because of show.

Blue Devils...OH PLEASE!!!! Go back to being to being the Blue Devils, if you would. of course the guard is great, the horns play wonderfully and the drums are strong as well...the soloists are fantastic as usual especially the shorter guy that hit at ;least 3 trumpet double C's. That show bites...nobody I was around stood up and the crowd is NOT buying that guard show with brass and drums in it. I am very disappointeed in this show design.

Cadets are great this year...and although I admittedly dont get the whole design, the perfromance elements are so strong that they will probably win DCI this year. Visually they move so well that you dont think that it is as difficult as recent years, but watching them rehearse, it was obvious that technique is very strong to give that illusion.

It will come down to the performance of the night that wins this year IMO. My favorite show of the year of the corps I have seen is PHANTOM REGIMENT by far. Maybe they will clean it up enough to make run at the top this year as well.

Blue Devils...I hope you learn form this years design and come back next as the Blue Devils.

Donny

I have to agree that we were overblowing in Rock This Town, during a couple of measures in particular. We can overdo it at times. Glad to enjoyed it otherwise.

Blue Devils...I hope you learn form this years design and come back next as the Blue Devils.

Donny

AMEN :huh::worthy::huh:

Triple Forte

(A BD fan hoping to hear those smooth jazzy sounds again)

Another thing I forgot to mention...I love the uniform thing the Cadets are doing. When they play forward, which is a good majority of the time, they look like the Cadets. But when they turn around, I was reminded of the St. Mary's Cardinals from Mass. back in the 60's and early 70's.

When I mentioned that to the people around me...they all went, huh?

i like your newbies reaction. that should kill a few sales pitches on narration