The day drum corps died.

I don't think that has anything to do with why DCI was formed ... as far as I understand what happened, it was organized by a relatively small group of highly competitive corps in order to further their own interests.

Orpheus, from what era of drum corps do you come. My knee jerk reaction was to become very upset at your responce, but I may have put my foot in it without knowing from where your time frame is.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for nothing, but didn't they (Troopers) have a big fund raising program a couple years back to purchase a brand new set of 'G' horns? If so, how are the horns falling apart already? As a contributor, I would want to know if the donations, in fact, weren't used for the purpose stated. I haven't seen them in a while but I would like to think they were using new horns for the past season or two.

Unsafe transport, food for the kids, proper insurance, adult supervision etc. are major concerns and must be addressed accordingly. The instruments, I thought, were not an issue.

As far as AL/VFW/CYO et al pulling sponsorships and thus leading to corps demise, I would think that the DCI demands for more touring by the corps led to the corps realization that their sponsors were not bottomless wells of cash to be spent by just one youth group when they were also sponsoring other youth activities i.e. baseball, basketball, scouting, softball,and so on. The demands of DCI made it fairly impossible for the local corps to continue trying to be up-scale competitors regardless of the local talent and determination. Unfortunately local talent and determination does not equal hundreds of thousands of dollars. DCI is just trying to fulfill Hoppy's mantra - the demise of the many so the few can survive. JMHO.

Ray

HOW MANY NORTHEAST CORPS FOLDED IMMEDIATELYAFTER, OR SHORTLY AFTER DCI FINALS IN DENVER?

TOO MANY! DCI WAS, IS, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN ABOUT MONEY. THEY WANTED THE GATE MONEY, THE PROFITS FROM RECORDINGS, AND LATER VIDEOS AND DVD'S. I UNDERSTAND IT TAKES MONEY TO RUN A CORPS, BUT IT WAS NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE " ABOUT MONEY".

ANOTHER ASPECT THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE HAVE MENTIONED...DRUM CORPS USED TO BE VERY PATRIOTIC IN NATURE. THE VIET NAM WAR PUT A BIG DAMPER ON PATRIOTISM FOR A WHILE...HENCE "WE DON'T NEED TO PRESENT THE COLORS ANYMORE..."

DRUM CORPS WAS, AND IS GOOD...AT THE VERY LEAST, FOR THOSE ON THE FIELD. BUT LET ME ASK YOU THIS.

"WOULD NASCAR LET MoPeds ON THE TRACK DURING THE RUNNING OF THE DAYTONA 500?"

"WHY DON'T SCOTTISH PIPE BANDS CARRY STRING BASSES?'

"HOW COME THE ROLLING STONES HAVEN'T RECRUITED YANNI TO PLAY KEYBOARDS?" :ramd:

I think everyone needs to stpo bashing every era.

:)

you are GOING to have preferences... if you became involved in the 80's, chances are you are going to like the 80's. I was borni n the 90's, got involved in the 00's... naturally, I like the 00's.

no biggie... opinion is opinion. no need to get fussy about it.

~>conner

ANOTHER ASPECT THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE HAVE MENTIONED...DRUM CORPS USED TO BE VERY PATRIOTIC IN NATURE. THE VIET NAM WAR PUT A BIG DAMPER ON PATRIOTISM FOR A WHILE...HENCE "WE DON'T NEED TO PRESENT THE COLORS ANYMORE..."

No need to shout (courtesy of the caps lock key). :)

I'm not sure the Vietnam War could be cited as be the sole factor there. After all, corps were carrying their national colors for years after the war ended in 1975. It may have contributed to an overall perception in the general public, but I believe the changes that occurred were tied in with with the designers on staff at many of the biggest, most influential corps. They wanted to do more, creatively, with their visual design of shows, and didn't want to be constrained by rules, military or otherwise.

I honestly believe there may have been another, more practical consideration, too. All but the biggest corps began struggling to maintain their membership, and so I think even the thought of losing two or three people to carrying and guarding the national colors was a big consideration for many corps. They would've preferred to be able to have those folks marching on the field.

Edited by byline

No need to shout (courtesy of the caps lock key). :)

I'm not sure the Vietnam War could be cited as be the sole factor there. After all, corps were carrying their national colors for years after the war ended in 1975. It may have contributed to an overall perception in the general public, but I believe the changes that occurred were tied in with with the designers on staff at many of the biggest, most influential corps. They wanted to do more, creatively, with their visual design of shows, and didn't want to be constrained by rules, military or otherwise.

I honestly believe there may have been another, more practical consideration, too. All but the biggest corps began struggling to maintain their membership, and so I think even the thought of losing two or three people to carrying and guarding the national colors was a big consideration for many corps. They would've preferred to be able to have those folks marching on the field.

Some corps had started to use faux American flags even while playing a color-pre...to avoid the myriad flag violations possible...the 1970 Cavies almost missed finals at the VFW Nationals in Miami due to flag violations in their prelims drill.

I do think design played a part, as well...but I also think the general sourness to "things military" during the Viet Nam era had at least some impact.

Your last paragraph is also part of the picture too...why park some members in the corner where they did absolutely nothing for the show?

Mike

Some corps had started to use faux American flags even while playing a color-pre...to avoid the myriad flag violations possible...the 1970 Cavies almost missed finals at the VFW Nationals in Miami due to flag violations in their prelims drill.

I do think design played a part, as well...but I also think the general sourness to "things military" during the Viet Nam era had at least some impact.

Your last paragraph is also part of the picture too...why park some members in the corner where they did absolutely nothing for the show?

Mike

"Did NOTHING?":

I "Believe" they actually DID "Something", guard their county's flag for starters. They actually "Did" participate in what used to be know as a "Color Presentation".

DCI in it's "Great Wisdom" and in pursuit of an "Art Form" not only did away with the 'Color Presentation' but the National Colors as well. I'm sure they were quite proud of themselves.....

DCA MANDATES the presence of the National Colors, and even awards a "Best Honor Guard" trophy at their National Championships.

Elphaba

DCI has actually "done away" with nothing. Any corps is free to make a color presentation and use the flag.

DCA rules are similar and there is no mandating use of an honor guard. It is an option. The only difference is that DCA does not count the honor guard in the number of performers.

Obviously we have moved away from the military roots of the activity and the discussion of that is interesting. We should also note that the miltary has moved away from the same traditions. Bugles no longer signal commands to troops. Infantry no longer march into battle to the beat of a drum.

I can't help but break in, but do you mean the one's with the cranks on the sides? Those were awesome. Sounded like crap, but it was a great idea. I asked Fred Sandford, who repping Slingerland at the time, why they didn't aplly that principle to snare drums instead. Can you imagine snare drums that could play fully cranked like today's, but could also go down and rumble? Think about it.

You printed out just about everything I was thinking! Very much a factual description of what helped to BUILD drumcorps to its height. thanks

"Did NOTHING?":

I "Believe" they actually DID "Something", guard their county's flag for starters. They actually "Did" participate in what used to be know as a "Color Presentation".

DCI in it's "Great Wisdom" and in pursuit of an "Art Form" not only did away with the 'Color Presentation' but the National Colors as well. I'm sure they were quite proud of themselves.....

DCA MANDATES the presence of the National Colors, and even awards a "Best Honor Guard" trophy at their National Championships.

Elphaba

DCI did not "do away" with color pre...concert...or any of the other set pieces of my era...show designs have moved beyond those static elements, that's all. Corps can still present the colors if they so choose.