Gillette Stadium

Gillette Stadium gets a solid, well-earned, blistering F in my grade book.

Overdone, excessive security. Perhaps they were expecting soccer hooligans? And one gate to go in and out? That alone bordered on a legally-questionable situation.

Why, pray tell, were the souvies sequestered in a pen accessible only by getting past the yellow-shirted, idiotic gate staff and via a 15' wide "rent-a-fence" tunnel? Could it have been any more difficult? I'm surprised we didn't have to know the secret password and handshake.

I *can* tell you this-- DCI was ready to be done with it, too. Theirs is a hard and thankless job.

You know how much trouble it can be to arrange a really huge wedding? Know what a pain the "I'm in charge" people can be? Multiply that times 40,000 and you know what it's like to deal with stadium management. Call any big stadium-- NFL venues, big colleges-- and ask them to fax you the list of hoops they demand you jump through if you want to give them money to use their stadium.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gillette is a modern, world class venue.

The Kraft family built it with their own money and did not ask the tax payers for a dime.

They put a winning team on the field and that costs money as well.

They have the right to charge whatever they want.

When DCI posted the ticket prices for this year it was a dead giveaway that everything else would be pricey too.

Not sure how people went there and were surprised.

Lesser venues will be more affordable but not offer as many amenties.

That is just the way it goes.

I have already seen negative comments about Camp Randall.

I guess DCI will never be able to please everyone...

As a parent (including an age-out), staff member, and connected with souvies, not a single good thing to say about this venue. In none of my capacities (or my family's -- five of us were there marching, teaching, and/or volunteering) was any of the experience pleasant. Not DCI's fault -- they seemed embarrassed by the whole thing. I truly hope we don't go back any time in my next 35 years in the activity.

Giants Stadium! Gotta have one here! Or the new one they're gonna build in NYC. Now that's attraction!

"Amenities"? :rock: Were the rude stadium personnel "amenities"? Manners and civility are free.

Ask anybody with YEA how much they enjoyed working with the people at Giants Stadium this summer... <**>

Parking is a problem at Camp Randall... maybe, over the winter, we could all work on figuring out the local bus system and simplify logistics. I'm all about finding solutions.

It just should not be an ordeal to go to an entertainment event.

Edited by GeorgiaGirl

The parking was too expensive,and the security excessive. It is a beautiful facility

nonetheless,maybe more than drum corps needs.

In defense of Gillette stadium and the management, those of us origionally from New England know that the Patriots historically have had the most troublesome and violent fans in NFL annals. THe old stadium was a fac ility rocked with brawls that filled entire sections. Between the seventies and late eighty's a young person could not even be taken into the stadium. Howard Cosell's vehicle was rolled over with him in it,and monday night games were not played for fifteen years.

Of course it has all beencleaned up, but management has had rigid security in place since that time,and the drum corps people saw some of it. At a football game,the security is even worse, and includes as many as 70 cops. I'm sure the security people are dazzled that there were not the usual thirty arrests,and peopletaken out in handcuffs.

Denver was the home run in all categories as far as I'm concerned.. Madison has

the history, but is a pain in the ### logistically

...what more do you need?  Kudos to the staff at Gillette Stadium.  :rock:

What more do we need? How about a field in decent shape with field markings that are visable to the performers?

Completely unacceptable field for the "superbowl" of our activity. The Gillette Stadium officials should be embarrassed and apologetic to the corps, and Drum Corps International should be furious at the stadium management for forking over so much $$ and getting such a poor surface for the corps to perform upon.

Gillette Stadium and its management are not worthy of Drum Corps International or its member corps. I don't care who was using the field before we got there...

Pro-Turf is the way to go folks!!

M

I love Madison's stands. HATE that field. I also hate the one in buffalo in 2001. Those yard lines in those fields stand out to much, and the bad lighting. Madison's lighting isn't as bad but could be better.

The Mile High Stadium and the Citrus Bowl are probably my favorite stadiums for DCI events.

Watching the video of 1994, the fog was awesome...