what did Pat Sielding...

Just a little food for thought...

They had the lightning delay last night and had to be out of there by 11:40 apparently......maybe some hastily tabulated scores for the caption awards?

If there was a time crunch, we know darn well it would primarily be devoted to getting the overall placement scores correctly tabulated before the captions would be looked at.

Maybe I'm wrong....I don't know how much time they had to do all of this.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Foxboro...I didn't know about all this happening, because I left right after Cadets were finished. Judges will do whatever they're going to do, I figured, and I'm not particularly interested in any of it.

So Regiment got third overall. Cadets won. No big deal. DCI has trouble counting, but hey, whatever...

For those of you that weren't there, my impression: I couldn't have been more satisfied with the brass performance Regiment turned in at semis and finals. They had the sound, polish, and verve of champions. They made me intensely proud of how far they've come over the past couple of years. And other than the fact that it sounds like DCI looked foolish in front of a stadium full of people, I don't much care what DCI officially thought of anything. I know what I think.

I don't worry about Pat S. or the kids...they bleed class. :rock: They put together one of the finest Regiment corps to ever take the field. They sent shockwaves through the place. I want them all to come back next year and take that brass title for real (if DCI can get the actual winner figured out next time). And that guard...holy moly. The solo dancer performing with an injured hand--and you'd never know. The ultimate showman--he wins. And a wicked drum line...there were people coming up to me in the stands after seeing them in the parking lot, just awe-struck!!!

Regiment maxed it out!!!

Other thoughts: I hope I'm not the only one that was profoundly moved by Vanguard at finals. They're no less Vanguard than any other SCV corps. I'm SO glad I got to see them live.

And Bluecoats--Jeez, guys. Took some concrete out of that stadium. Blew those stands down.

Heck, I even got into BD's show...narration and all...Yowza yowza yowza!

Cadets were great. However, my eye was drawn away from the performance to Hop pacing back and forth on more than one occasion. Just sayin...it is about the kids, right? Anyway, I found it distracting.

Cavaliers put on a great show, too...I enjoyed it much better this time (last saw it in Orlando).

Scouts have a new biggest fan--I brought a drum corps newbie to the show and she couldn't get over how cool the Scouts are.

Great stuff from every corps!!! :rock:

SUTA!!

Edited by festive

Just a little food for thought...

They had the lightning delay last night and had to be out of there by 11:40 apparently......maybe some hastily tabulated scores for the caption awards?

If there was a time crunch, we know darn well it would primarily be devoted to getting the overall placement scores correctly tabulated before the captions would be looked at.

Maybe I'm wrong....I don't know how much time they had to do all of this.

I don't know how it's done, but here's how I'd do it... :)

As soon as a corps performs and judges sheets are gathered, input the scores in a computer (with 80-tuple checks) and keep a running "position" for each caption. I'm picturing a spreadsheet where the highest score in each column is shaded a different color. That would take a lot of confusion out of deciphering who wins. And it also means you're not under the gun timewise because scores are input as they are received. Perhaps it should be done by three people for quality purposes.

And I should add that in my original post, I'm not bashing Siedling. I would be very upset also if my corps was announced to be in a certain position when that was false. I'm not saying his was protesting the actual position of PR's brassline, but I am assuming he was complaining about being announced in that position.

And to TXMystreaux, you shouldn't perceive every comment as something negative toward Cadets. Even if it is negative, be content knowing that your team won. They definitely deserved it, and I'm a much bigger fan of the show now than I was in June. I just hope this isn't a trend in their show design.

When the drumspeak section came, however, I found myself actually getting into what they were doing.  The members were really good at it (no surprise, since drummers "sing" drum parts whenever they're not playing, talking, or eating)

Sometimes WHILE they're talking and eating....

I don't know how it's done, but here's how I'd do it... :)

As soon as a corps performs and judges sheets are gathered, input the scores in a computer (with 80-tuple checks) and keep a running "position" for each caption.  I'm picturing a spreadsheet where the highest score in each column is shaded a different color.  That would take a lot of confusion out of deciphering who wins.  And it also means you're not under the gun timewise because scores are input as they are received.  Perhaps it should be done by three people for quality purposes.

And I should add that in my original post, I'm not bashing Siedling.  I would be very upset also if my corps was announced to be in a certain position when that was false.  I'm not saying his was protesting the actual position of PR's brassline, but I am assuming he was complaining about being announced in that position.

And to TXMystreaux, you shouldn't perceive every comment as something negative toward Cadets.  Even if it is negative, be content knowing that your team won.  They definitely deserved it, and I'm a much bigger fan of the show now than I was in June.  I just hope this isn't a trend in their show design.

I never perceived it as negative. I just read it as an account of what happened and you inquiring about it.

Goodness you people need some reading comprehension lessons. I just said there is a criteria for who wins it and Cadets won it. Maybe some of you should quit assuming I sit here waiting to pounce on every Cadets naysayer.

I never perceived it as negative.  I just read it as an account of what happened and you inquiring about it. 

Goodness you people need some reading comprehension lessons.  I just said there is a criteria for who wins it and Cadets won it.  Maybe some of you should quit assuming I sit here waiting to pounce on every Cadets naysayer.

Gee....wherever could we have picked up that idea...

Could it be because out of your last 25 posts:

10 were written as a defense against a "perceived" slight against Cadets or Hopkins

1 was written in a "gloating fashion" regarding the Cadets, which directly led to...

9 in direct rebuttal to something posted about the Cadets.

3 in a general "Love the Cadets" tone (this is not a negative, mind you)

Only two were non-Cadets related regarding Season Pass, for a total of 23/25. That is a FANTASTIC batting average.

Heh heh...there's a reason some people believe that you are a Cadet Borg (and you yourself have proudly stated that you are).

Now, I can imagine your responses, so let me address them:

Response 1: Dude, chill out.

Nikk here....chilling just fine. Actually, no...I have a cup of hot coffee in my hand, so I guess I'm not chilling, but I am quite cozy in my new house. Gotta love the smell of the Tallahassee pines in the morning.

Response 2: Dude, let it go.

Why should I? Who am I really affecting here? I'm just calling it like I see it....yes, you love the Cadets. Yes, i love Regiment. But you know what...I have also loved the Cadets, and the Cavaliers, and the Vanguard, and the Scouts, etc. When people have said critical things of the Regiment in the past, I have often responded....but sometimes have responded in agreement with the criticism. I'm not sure I have ever seen you take a step back and admit that some of the critics might actually have valid points...no, all you do is accuse them of bashing, Don Quixote.

Response 3: What about YOUR last 25 posts hypocrite.

Fair enough...let me check.

3 regarding a new adjudication system

4 talking/flirting with Sarah. :P

4 arguing with you or another Cadets fans

8 responding to a Phantom Regiment-related thread

1 talking about the worst show I ever marched

1 defending "bandos" from an old-timer's wrath

4 miscellaneous

Not too terrible...8/25 talking about Regiment. I'll be honest...no way can I get a baseball contract with those kinds of numbers...at least not compared to you.

(Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO have a lot of free time when I wake up in the morning...heh heh)

Oh, and heck...I'll admit it: I don't think I like you, but I could be wrong. The only time you ever seem to come around and be a part of this community is either when the Cadets are doing well or when someone slams them and you run to their defense (as if they needed defending). And in the course of your defending them, you did something for the first time this year that I had never noticed you doing before...you went on the offensive (against the Cavaliers), even going so far as calling them uncreative or something similar.

Anyhow...I'm well aware I'm not terribly well-liked on this board myself because of my opinions, and I am sure you wish I'd fall down a sewer main...heh heh...but your whole "I don't defend Cadets all the time" thing above was getting silly. If it seems like you jump out of the woodwork to pounce on Cadets naysayers to more than just one person, then...I dunno...perhaps that is what you do.

Alright...I've written much more than I wanted to on this...I think I will leave you the last word, I won't post a response to your reply...instead, I will congratulate the 2005 World Champion Cadets for a job well done and let it be.

Gee....wherever could we have picked up that idea...

Could it be because out of your last 25 posts:

10 were written as a defense against a "perceived" slight against Cadets or Hopkins

1  was written in a "gloating fashion" regarding the Cadets, which directly led to...

9 in direct rebuttal to something posted about the Cadets.

3 in a general "Love the Cadets" tone (this is not a negative, mind you)

Only two were non-Cadets related regarding Season Pass, for a total of 23/25.  That is a FANTASTIC batting average.

Heh heh...there's a reason some people believe that you are a Cadet Borg (and you yourself have proudly stated that you are).

Now, I can imagine your responses, so let me address them:

Response 1:  Dude, chill out.

Nikk here....chilling just fine.  Actually, no...I have a cup of hot coffee in my hand, so I guess I'm not chilling, but I am quite cozy in my new house.  Gotta love the smell of the Tallahassee pines in the morning.

Response 2: Dude, let it go.

Why should I?  Who am I really affecting here?  I'm just calling it like I see it....yes, you love the Cadets.  Yes, i love Regiment.  But you know what...I have also loved the Cadets, and the Cavaliers, and the Vanguard, and the Scouts, etc. When people have said critical things of the Regiment in the past, I have often responded....but sometimes have responded in agreement with the criticism.  I'm not sure I have ever seen you take a step back and admit that some of the critics might actually have valid points...no, all you do is accuse them of bashing, Don Quixote.

Response 3:  What about YOUR last 25 posts hypocrite.

Fair enough...let me check.

3 regarding a new adjudication system

4 talking/flirting with Sarah.  :P

4 arguing with you or another Cadets fans

8 responding to a Phantom Regiment-related thread

1 talking about the worst show I ever marched

1 defending "bandos" from an old-timer's wrath

4 miscellaneous

Not too terrible...8/25 talking about Regiment.  I'll be honest...no way can I get a baseball contract with those kinds of numbers...at least not compared to you.

(Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO have a lot of free time when I wake up in the morning...heh heh)

Oh, and heck...I'll admit it: I don't think I like you, but I could be wrong.  The only time you ever seem to come around and be a part of this community is either when the Cadets are doing well or when someone slams them and you run to their defense (as if they needed defending).  And in the course of your defending them, you did something for the first time this year that I had never noticed you doing before...you went on the offensive (against the Cavaliers), even going so far as calling them uncreative or something similar.

Anyhow...I'm well aware I'm not terribly well-liked on this board myself because of my opinions, and I am sure you wish I'd fall down a sewer main...heh heh...but your whole "I don't defend Cadets all the time" thing above was getting silly.  If it seems like you jump out of the woodwork to pounce on Cadets naysayers to more than just one person, then...I dunno...perhaps that is what you do. 

Alright...I've written much more than I wanted to on this...I think I will leave you the last word, I won't post a response to your reply...instead, I will congratulate the 2005 World Champion Cadets for a job well done and let it be.

Let me call it like I see it.

So freakin what! I like The Cadets. How does that make everything I type negative, just because some of you disagree with me? How is it that much different than you and Phantom? . . .and don't say you are critical of them and that is how you are different because I have been critical of Cadets as well, just not this season.

I will not apologize for being a Cadets fan and responding to people who speak negatively about them, so move on. You're not much different, but I have classes to teach and not enough time to go back and find all your posts (which is pretty idiotic). Aren't you a teacher, too?

You are the pot calling the kettle black, but I am sure many will come to your defense.

Edited by TXMystreaux

Maybe the words were due to the mistake being made in the first place? Would you want to be Pat Seidling if you had to go stand in front of your 135 disappointed kids and explain what happened?

Like I said, I understand that it wasn't a great experience; it never is. It couldn't have been great for Santa Clara's guard, either, back when they were announced as the winning guard but it actually went to Spirit. But if he already knew the caption results based on the recaps (and evidently George knew, because that's why he went up and challenged it), then to me it's kind of disingenuous to feign outrage over an outcome he already knew to be different from what they were announcing.

Edit: Just to clarify, I wasn't there, and so only have the comments others have made in this thread to go by. If all he said was, "Look, I didn't need that to have to deal with in front of my corps members," then of course I can understand that reaction, and I don't have any problem with it. If, however, it was more extreme than that--and that's the impression I'm getting from some of the posts--then IMO, that does no one any good . . . including the corps members. (And I would say that any time someone starts berating others in a public setting. Sorry, guess I've just seen a few too many Bob Knight incidents.) But I guess I'll have to wait and see if it's on the telecast, and then go from there.

Edited by byline

OK, here’s my concern:

First, while not a die-hard Cadets fan, I have always liked the Cadets and have the utmost respect for George Hopkins and the entire organization. And second, I wasn’t there to witness this “incident,” so I’m sure that my take on it is influenced by the colorful description used earlier in this thread: namely, that George “hauled butt” down to the sidelines and “exchanged words with the DCI brass.”

Query: If the Cadets and PR were announced as joint winners of the Ott Trophy, why would Mr. Hopkins be concerned? The Cadets were rightfully announced as the winner of high brass; the inaccuracy came at the expense of PR’s brass score. The only reason I can conceive that he’d be so concerned would be so that his kids didn’t have to share the award, or that the whole world should know that the Cadets – and only the Cadets – played their brass the best that night.

Now, please note that I’m not saying PR deserved high brass – it was rightfully the Cadets’ award. I’m merely making an observation that, at least based upon the description provided here, Mr. Hopkins seemed more concerned with “we’re better than everybody” than with “great job, gang, you got the highest brass score.”

The more I reflect on this, the more doubtful I am that the picture I have in my head of what happened is accurate. Like I mentioned earlier, I just don’t see Mr. Hopkins (or any corps director, for that matter) doing that as described. As is often the case on DCP, things tend to get a liiiiiiitttle bit blown out of proportion from time to time. And I also realize that sometimes people get a little excited in the heat of the moment and do things they regret. But while DCI is a competitive activity, shouldn’t Finals night (of all nights) be about celebrating all the kids, and the activity as a whole?

Just my $.37…

Edited by MN DCI Fan