Finals Attendace

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrumCorpFan
Finals night ....over thirty thousand.....

From the pictures I have seen, the stadium would have to be nearly full, on all decks, half-way through each endzone. I wasn't there, but the pictures I have seen show that it wasn't even close to that. The capacity of Gillette Stadium is 68,756. 30,000+ at finals? No way.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Not so. A friend of mine who is on the DCI board said the finals attendance figure for this year was twenty thousand paid spectators.

Sounds like we are getting back to the audience sizes of the '90s. Who will save DCI this time if numbers fall back more? The legacy fans again? Nope, we've been told to love it or leave it.

Who cares what finals attendance was. I don't understand the point of all this. And I just love it when someone says "a friend of mine told me." Please....STOP! What is there to prove or disprove?

What was finals attendance when it was the VFW finals at some old stadium that didn't hold even close to 20,000 (sometimes less)?

What was finals attendance the first year of DCI in Whitewater, WI 1972(Warhawk Stadium, which at best seats about 17,000 on concert side)?

What was finals attendance in 1978 in Denver?

Montreal was certainly a unique destination for finals. I was there in 1982, and I believe attendance was quite high. But so much of that was due to finals being in Canada (and 81 and 82 were the only years they were in Canada). You had Canadians that couldn't wait for Finals to come there, and East Coast Americans that drove up as well. It is interesting that those two years also seem to hold the record for attendance.

What was finals attendance in 1983? Certainly not as high. Are we to assume that DCI went down hill that fast, or that the corps were just so bad and not very entertaining that no one wanted to go to finals that year? Or maybe it was location (Miami)?

In Madison from 1985 - 1987 DCI Finals were held 3 years in a row. Attendance was good because the midwest is a good place for DCI finals, but attendance was not as good as Montreal. So what do we gather from all this?

Then in 1990, in Buffalo, NY, attendance was very strong, better than it was in Kansas City, MO from 88-89. But in Texas, of all places, in 1991 it was not as strong.

I think location, travel costs, and timing have so much to do with wether people can make finals or not. Attendance should never be considered the only barometer in measuring the health of DCI and its corps.

Jonathan

I think location, travel costs, and timing have so much to do with wether people can make finals or not.  Attendance should never be considered the only barometer in measuring the health of DCI and its corps.

Thank you! And especially just attendance *at Finals* in particular.

Doom and gloom! Doom and gloom! Aieeeeee! Who will save DCI now?

a bit off topic, but how do you think finals attendance will be in 07 in Cali? more, less, or about the same?

Just a guess, but I think it'll be about the best in quite a long time, like Denver if not better. Just think of all the fans and alums in California who have never been to Finals (except maybe as a marching member) because they'd have had to fly cross-country and spend thousands of bucks to do so. Think of all the casual fans who, excepting last summer's Tour of Champions, had never seen a D1 show in person later than early to mid July. We'll see.

If you thought that was great should've checked out the quality of division 2/3 corps. They rocked my socks off! :blink: :)

OH and do these figures for attendance include the corps who didn't make the semi finals and the division 2/3 corps, do they pay general admission? I would think they deserve to get in free..jmho.

People would have had to have been seated all the way out to the light blue section, at least, in order to push 30,000. Overall, I thought the crowd looked slightly smaller than Denver so the 20,000 figure is believable to me. Remember, this is only PAID attendance. There are many more that receive free tickets to this event and who knows what those old school attendance figures included!

Edited by Machine