2006 Repretoires

You know in 1981 and 1982 the bluecoats played Aquarius from HAIR, and for all those who remember Suncoast playing it in 1983 & 1984 they played practically the same arrangement we did.

yah that's what made me think of it when we were chatting in the room last night, i was browsing corpsreps and saw it, thought it would be killer now B)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a while back on my way home from work I hear a piece called Hymn for New England by John Williams and thought it would be great for BAC.

Haha I agree with no duplications of shows. But there are exceptions hey Regiment played the 4th ballet suite before, and the second time was the most famous (A Defiant Heart). Also can't forget SCV's phantom of the opera.

But of all the story telling shows, HANDS DOWN THE BEST:

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard - The Music of Scheherezade

You know in 1981 and 1982 the bluecoats played Aquarius from HAIR

Mom made me quit after 3 practices...still have my sheet music for Aquarius and Compendium...

One thing I'd like to see one of the big guys play is the theme music from Patton...I don't know if the music would be hard enough, but for some reason, when I listen to that music, I see Garfield doing it...(no, I will NEVER call them the Cadets... :P )

Based on the "tell a story" model that seems to be popular...I don't think we'll see too many "straight arrangement" shows next year.

A pinch of this, a phrase of that...as long as it work in the general concept of moving the storyline along.

If that's to be the case, which I have to imagine it is...it may be better to suggest the show theme first, and then try to ascertain what "snippets" will go well into it.

For example, SCV...possibly something like "Modern Wind Ensemble Masters" with pieces "based on" pieces by Maslanka*, Nelson, and Dello Joio.

*(I know he doesn't let folks perform his stuff on the field as far as I know, but this is an example... :) )

It seems like wishing for Phantom, SCV or any of the Top 12 to reach into the past is going to end up hurting them...more likely, they'll look at what won this year, and to the future instead: for better or worse.

I"m just waiting for Bluecoats to do Autumn Leaves again. I think it would be absolutely amazing with the talent they have now. Maybe mix in a little Bridge Over Troubled Water in there too.

I haven't seen Crown's 99 (Jekyll and Hyde) show yet, but it is probably the one I most want to see. The musical is absolutely amazing and I just want to see and here it on the field. If you haven't heard the musical, get the Original broadway cast recording. Amazing.

Blue Devils -- How about some good old fashioned in-your-face BD-style power jazz featuring complete tunes or, at least, something in the way of melodic development. And don't interrupt the show with narration every time the crowd starts to think it's about to get interesting. Give the "hack 'n' slash" / "diddly-bop" arrangements a rest.

That's my only repertoire request for '06.

From Scouts web site:

Sal Salas of the Madison Scouts was named the 2005 Division I director of the year tonight.

“It’s been a lot of fun! A great season,” Salas said.

Next year, Madison Scouts fans Fans can expect “A lot more power – a lot more faster, louder, harder,” Salas said.

Sal made a similar statement a year ago and the Scouts delivered in '05 with one

of their best productions in years.

Finals return to Madison next year. I think the Scouts will take it up yet another notch.

I've heard that the show music has already been selected for '06.

Blue Devils -- How about some good old fashioned in-your-face BD-style power jazz featuring complete tunes or, at least, something in the way of melodic development.  And don't interrupt the show with narration every time the crowd starts to think it's about to get interesting.  Give the "hack 'n' slash" / "diddly-bop" arrangements a rest.

That's my only repertoire request for '06.

What I wouldn't do for them to do A Night in Tunisia once more.