DCI, Please listen to this....

I was in Foxboro on Friday and Saturday nights, 300 level on the 50 yard line. The Security lady there was very tough on not letting people go up into the stands during a performance. So, again, sometimes generalizations aren't appropriate.

I didn't see or hear anyone speaking on a mobile phone during a performance either.

But the stadium bell was completely unacceptable. I wonder if the bell can be heard on the semi-finals and finals recordings? Hope not.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I had almost identical experiences.  During semi finals my seats were on the 40,

two rows from the top of the 100 (lower) level.  It was bad enough that we could hear

the exhaust fans running, could hear the people out at the concessions, but the biggest

annoyance was a group of people sitting in the folding chairs immeadiately behind the

stadium seats.  Their LOUD talking became such a distraction that I finally stood up

(during Crown) and shouted "WOULD YOU PLEASE BE QUIET".  Several folks applauded

and yelled thank you.

It worked for a while, but within a few corps they were at it again.  The screaming they

did during the Cabaleros Alumni (Let's show these people what a REAL drum corps is)

was not only rude, but terribly obnoxious.  After the show I was going to go up to them

and tell them how they had ruined the show for many of us.  I was SHOCKED to see that

one of them was wearing a DCI VIP badge.  I couldn't read the name, but she obviously

should have known better.  Made me wish I had a group of band kids sitting where they

were.  I'm sure they would have behaved better!

On Finals night we had to deal with a couple of kids that talked all night and one who

had a box of Tic-Tacs and shook them all night long.  Can't believe parents brought

kids this young (5-6) to a show that would run 4 hours.  That's asking too much of a

child.

Of course the RINGING BELL ruined many soft moments on finals night.

It sounds like a high school marching band show hmmmmm... :worthy:

This problem is general in nature and DCI will have very little success in making it better. Behavior in public events is getting worse. Yes the ushers should keep people from entering during performances, but the rest of behaviors have little to do with DCI. I am seeing the same at football games (not the same behaviors, just rude behavior), at concerts, opera, theaters, etc. DCI may make a marginal improvement, but this goes deeper than that. At my age, I am just rude enough to get up and speak to the person - politely but forceably. Most are so shocked that they stop.

Thanks for sharing your comments. I think you are correct, security needs to truly understand the difference between a drum corps event and a marching band festival or band night. And I think it is here that most of the differences with some fans are evident as well.

I, too, would not tell parents to NOT bring their kids, but they really have to understand the mindset of the drum corps fan and the nature of the activity and the differences from typical band events. Young kids cannot stay patient for long and will want to be kids. I understand this and appreciate it, but they can ruin a show for many people. Some people do not understand that going to a drum corps show is more artistic and serious in nature, yet fun, than say a band night or football game (which is how most associate this type of activity). The typical fan, band parent, and sports fan will sit at a football game or band night and just talk, blab, get up and leave and return when they feel like it, and none of this is considered wrong. This is the typical behavior.

I know that DCI often has the show sponsor announce a short, very nice message at the beginning of shows that basically trys to educate folks about drum corps shows. Other shows do not. It seems that regardless of whether this happens, too many fans simply do not understand the difference.

This would be a great issue for DCI to really address this off-season and put into place next summer. I know DCI does its best. So I am confident they will address these issues even further.

Jonathan

There were ushers in certain sections that kept people from coming up the stairs. I witnessed a lady controlling the situation fairly well in the upper deck.

I had a seasoned drum corps fan talking behind me during one of the shows. Not whispering... talking! And humming along to the songs. I wanted to say, "DUDE! So you know the songs. You're awesome. We believe you. Please stop!"

I don't think the bell will make the recordings, but it's possible the 12-year-old girl yelling "go pit" during a couple of pit breaks probably will.

I think DCI would be well-served to continually make announcements about coming in to or leaving corps performances, talking during performances, etc. I think one announcement was made, but it should be done every two or three corps, in my opinion. Or perhaps showing a vid clip of drum corps etiquette on the big screen...

Heck, it's not just newbies who act that way, though.  The kids right behind me (aged maybe 16 thru college) were, judging by their conversations, members of a DCA corps (I didn't ask which one, but I'm thinking they were from New Jersey) ... and I've never had the misfortune of sitting near such a group of rude and obnoxious idiots at a major DCI event.  To be fair, it was only 2 or 3 out of ~10 who were really raising a ruckus, but they all talked to much during performances.  Even with being politely asked to be quite didn't seem to have much of an effect.  Well, shushing 'em worked a little, but not for long.

It isn't just newbies and DCA kids. I was sitting club level right on the 50. You'd think people in that area would be serious drum corps fans and know appropriate behavior. We had a family bring a 4 year old (whom they didn't have a ticket for - "he's supposed to be a lap child") who wandered in the stands and took off his shirt while corps were performing.

We had an off duty judge talk during the corps performances. A few rows back there was some loud conversation. The judge's seatmate actually told them to be quiet (after talking for three nights herself) and later in the evening had a phone conversation while a corps was on the field.

We had representatives from an instrument manufacturer (as best I could tell) wander in looking for open seats, ask if the seats in front of me were occupied and even after me saying "no" proceeded to sit there anyway and knock over the drinks that family left in the seats they paid for.

I heard the bell.  What was it?

I wasn't there, but based on what I've read here, there was an elevator, and whenever the doors opened or closed, the bell rang.

As for behavior in the stands, unfortunately, some folks just don't understand that most people are there to WATCH and LISTEN to a show while it's in progress. Not catch up on their social lives, or give a running color commentary on every little thing happening on the field. Maybe I'm more sensitive to this than the average person; I have hearing loss caused by nerve damage, so I really need to concentrate to hear what's going on in a performance. Surely this isn't limited only to the hearing-impaired (and this thread gives good evidence of that). For the life of me, I can't figure out why people don't realize that the noise they're making (other than clapping, cheers and "ooohs" and "ahhhs" in response to the actual show) detracts from others' enjoyment of a performance, but it's happened more times than I can count.

Now, sometimes my husband (who's never marched corps) will have a question about something as it's happening, and I'll try to answer it as quickly as I can so that he's not left wondering about that, and so can get into the show. That I can understand.

I specifically recall a time at the Evansville show in '82. Blue Devils were on the field (and this is one of my all-time favorite BD shows). I was just blown away by the show, and the closer had begun. This older fellow sitting next to me (a complete stranger, by the way) turned and started talking to me: "Boy, what if one of those guard girls picked up the wrong thing? That sure would be a funny sight, wouldn't it?" I glared at him, chuckled weakly, then focused back on the show . . . and he kept right on talking to me! I mean, I hate to be rude, but I ignored him (or tried to). What are people thinking? If you want to talk, there's plenty of time in between shows. Why on earth do you need to interrupt someone else's enjoyment and talk during the show?

Another time, my husband and I were at a WGI show. It quickly became obvious that the two gals sitting behind us were there for their daughters' guard, and that guard alone, and everyone else (including the rest of us in the audience) was of no consequence. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they chatted and caught up on their social lives the entire time all the other guards were performing . . . except for when their daughters' guard was out there. Then they were screaming their heads off, of course. Again, I don't get it. Ever heard of a phone? E-mail? Or how about getting together for coffee once or twice a week to catch up? But not during a freakin' show that others are trying to enjoy!

There, I feel better now. . . . :worthy:

Edited by byline

We were seated in the Club Level around the 45, three rows up and on Finals night, that bell was audible during anything below mf. It was completely unacceptable.

As for the "ushers", we asked the lady who was standing at the top of our stairs to confront this group of people who snuck around 10 people into empty seats during Semis by giving them CLub ticket stubs (which btw really got to me since we had paid a pretty good amount of money for those seats and knowing that people who did not pay for the seats were there was really annoying), but she said that she was not an usher and that DCI had not requested ushers! Apparently, the workers were supposed to be basic guides for the patrons, informing them of where things are located. But as for any duties relating to the seating of patrons or the like, they had no duties. If that's true, then DCI deserves some blame for not insuring that a properly trained (or at least somewhat informed) group of workers worked the stairs. That was my biggest complaint (along with the bell) the whole weekend.

We brought our kids (ages 1 and 5) and they loved it, especially the one year-old.  When they needed a break, we took them into the concession area.  When they were in the stands, they sat (or stood) quietly and didn't bother anyone.  So much for coarse generalizations.

I had one child kicking the back of my seat all evening during semi's. When I asked the mother to please stop their child from kicking the back of my seat, she said that she felt her son was acting pretty good for a three year old. I said, then you take my seat and I'll kick your seat for the next hour and see how you like it. Stay at home with children or find a baby sitter next time. These children are too young and should be home in bed, NOT at an evening drum corps show. <**>

From the Ryan H. Turner "canned script" for southern California shows...

"You're about to experience a night of unforgettable competition, pageantry, and entertainment. To ensure an enjoyable experience by spectators and performers alike, we ask the following:

Please, do not move in or out of your seats while a corps is performing. There's plenty of time in between corps to be able to find your seats or dash off to the restroom.

Please, no smoking inside the stadium.

Please refrain from making or taking cell phone calls in the stands, especially during a corps performance.

And most of all, please share your enthusiastic applause and support for these talented young performers. They've all worked long and hard hours to get these shows out on to the field, and they would love to hear from you. So if you see or hear something you like, let them know!!"

You think Brandt Crocker is reading this thread???