Why drum corps has changed and why it's good

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After re-examining the exchange, I over-reacted.  I read your original comment as "Newbie doesn't know what he's talking about," a mentality I detest in any venue (especially as I think the original poster made some valid points), and frankly I took it personally.  Over-reaction.  I think it's a cheap shot because he can't control how long he's been involved in the activity, and it shouldn't detract from the validity of his arguments (if not the delivery).

Agreed, attacks on "newbies" are unwarranted and spiteful, but I never used that term....I agree that todays drum corps kids work just as hard if not harder and are just as dedicated to the sport as we were "back in the (my) day".....I will agree to disagree once again on the "length of time in drum corp" issue...I do not feel that it was a cheap shot...it was merely a fact...I would expect the same rebuke if I did the same.....I did not say that he does not have the right to comment about any era in drum corps, IMO I felt he was best to stay within his timeframe, especially when generalizing and basing much of his opinion an what others from the era have told him....thanks for clarification. B)

But didn't you say the 75 Scouts were using a starting formation used by the Scouts and others in 50s and 60s. How could that be if sideline entry was permitted first in 73?

HH

If you choose to nit-pick, I believe his reference is to the "company front' more than the back line. However, Even when the starting line was the goal line, some corps "beat the system" so to speak by lining up on the sideline,but moving around to the endzone(staying off the field) and actually entering the field across the goal line.

27th Lancers in 72(I believe) is an excellent example. check out the video at www.beanman.net

"nit-pick"??? What does that mean? No, really. Don't know what that term itself means.

:rolleyes:

Never mind. I looked it up. HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! Americans!

Using a Lice-infestation term for being extra cautious!

Edited by apoch003

If you choose to nit-pick, I believe his reference is to the "company front' more than the back line. However, Even when the starting line was the goal line, some corps "beat the system" so to speak by lining up on the sideline,but moving around to the endzone(staying off the field) and actually entering the field across the goal line.

27th Lancers in 72(I believe) is an excellent example. check out the video at www.beanman.net

Yes, traditional formation, new location. I'm glad you brought up 2-7. In '73, SCV used the traditional end zone entry while Scouts and Kingsmen used the back side line. One wasn't necessarily better than the other--'73 SCV kicked but using the traditional end zone. The rule change in '73 allowed more creative flexibility.

To Glory, I'm not here to diss today's corps. I just thought you were overplaying the "break from tradition" card concerning the Scouts. I provided some examples to illuminate how there was a self-conscious attempt to link the present to the past in my marching days.

all the best

I never marched in a corps, but I was in a 'highly competitive' marching band back when BOA was MBA. Same experience? Not even close, I'm sure... as judged by friends of mine who did march corps.

The 'we/they(age-related)' argument is sort of nonsensical, because everyone on this board wants DCI (in some form) to continue. In recent years, I enjoyed far fewer shows than I have in the past. That said, there are still enough shows each year that allow me to enjoy the activity. When that is no longer the case, I'll move on to another activity to spend time/money on.

Is it drum corps? At the moment, I think it is, with a few exceptions. Would I like to see symmetrical drill and 2-valve g bugles? Not really. I miss the power of those hornlines, but corps are figuring out how to play their newer instruments as (or much more) effectively.

It should be interesting to see what DCI becomes in the next five years. Until then, I'll continue buying merchandise from those corps who appeal to my particular taste. Come to think of it, that is the way it has always been.

The term 'dinosaur' is often thrown around, and I don't think it means much. Across ages, people have different ideas of what drum corps should be. We'll see where it goes.

Again, you explain fairly well, but how is referring to someones lack of experience a pot shot? B)

Felix,

Nothing personal, but it's a pot shot because you're basing your belief that he can't POSSIBLY have anything worthwhile to contribute simply because he's been "around" the activity for less than 10 years.

Quite honestly, I've learned more about this amazing activity from people who had "done" less time than the original poster of this thread! I learned a long time ago not to take anyone's perspective on drum corps for granted based solely on how long they had (or hadn't) been around.. sometimes the greatest wisdom comes from the mouths of babes.

Stef

Excellent point Jeff.  Been saying that myself for a couple of years now.  DCI has a very fine line to walk trying to attract new fans to the activity while not alienating the long term fans who happen to be at the peak of the earning years.

An 18 year old doesn't have $125 to sit in the club level.

I was in the souvies area 3 different times, here were the Legacy dvd's that were playing:

Bridgemen '77

BD '80

SCV '89

Who was standing around watching?  The over 40 crowd.

I have been saying this for years, and i just get back marketing speak about the power of teenages and their parents disposable income.

I work in finance, I see what their parents disposable income has done to kill their childrens future inheritance.

However, the fine line is an issue, IMO that's being ignored, and that's sad.

Again, what valued traditions were lost?

HH

being accoustic. regardless of whatever else changed in DCi until 2004, this remained constant.