Why drum corps has changed and why it's good

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh.

I agree.

~>conner

I would prefer not to attend a "DCI" show but we have no choice since they've hijacked the activity. <snip>

So let me get this straight: Drum corps "hijacked" the drum corps activity. By george - I think he's got it! :P (Reminder - DCI IS the drum corps!)

Hey, this is great stuff!

I see posters who I haven't seen for ages.  There IS a confusion about "what is" today.  Many here seem to be concerned, and that's a good thing.

I no longer attend DCI.  I once spent thousands to do so.  I've lost interest . . .and so what!  Many others have taken my place. That's great.

I continue to ponder what it will take to bring me back into the fold, and I really DO want to be there!

Tonight, here's what I'm thinking . . .

I need MELODY, sustained melody.  I really don't care how obscure the piece, I just need time to appreciate it. Time to know it.  Today's short, disjointed sound bytes are confusing to me and lead to a sameness that doesn't keep my interest.

In addition,  this whole amplification thing has to go!  Good gosh,  it's brass and percussion,  amplification has so little value to what I need to hear from the performances,  and don't get me started on the narration and vocals,  that's a real turn-off to what I want.

I realize it's not all about me.  "Me" has already gone elsewhere.  That doesn't make me a bad guy, does it?

Thanks for reading.

No, of course it doesn't make you a bad guy. It's human to want what we want. There's no fault in wanting.. the fault enters into it when you (empirical, not specifically YOU) start complaining endlessly and knocking everything that is on the field today because YOU don't like it or it doesn't meet your standards for entertainment.

You, specifically, have taken the path that I would take. I've said repeatedly, if there comes a time when I am no longer entertained by DCI, then I'll find something else to spend my time and money on. I'd mourn the loss, naturally.. but I don't see myself having a tantrum because it's not what I want. If and until that happens, I LIKE what I see and enjoy watching, listening and talking about it. I don't even mind debating pros and cons.. I like that, too.. it's just tiresome and annoying to be constantly bombarded by the whining from the small minority who make the biggest racket.. seemingly because drum corps is not precisely as they would like it to be.. and they can't let it go. There's just no pleasing some folks.

Stef

<snip>

the fault enters into it when you (empirical, not specifically YOU) start complaining endlessly and knocking everything that is on the field today because YOU don't like it or it doesn't meet your standards for entertainment.

You, specifically, have taken the path that I would take.  I've said repeatedly, if there comes a time when I am no longer entertained by DCI, then I'll find something else to spend my time and money on.  I'd mourn the loss, naturally.. but I don't see myself having a tantrum because it's not what I want. If and until that happens, I LIKE what I see and enjoy watching, listening and talking about it.  I don't even mind debating pros and cons.. I like that, too..  it's just tiresome and annoying to be constantly bombarded by the whining from the small minority who make the biggest racket.. seemingly because drum corps is not precisely as they would like it to be..  and they can't let it go.  There's just no pleasing some folks.

Stef

Once again, Stef - my sentiments exactly! ^OO^ :worthy:

This may be the eight most civil pages ever on DCP. :P

Give it time!! ^0^ :P

That one statement right there was as far as I needed to read.

This one statement right here is probably the saddest of all. :(

Stef